1999 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
All around great suv
By myrango on 07/24/13 23:29 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my durango now for 5 years. Let me tell you this has been the best suv I've ever owned. Its realible and tough. It is just what i needed. I've driven it to Florida and back to Louisiana 4 times, with no problems!! Outside of regular maintenance its been no problem. My 1999 durango owes me nothing. I would recommend this suv for anyone. Plenty of power(5.9 liter engine). The gas milage could be better but seriously I have no complaints. 3rd row seat provides more than enough room for friends and family. 4X4, nice ruged but stylish look and bold body style.. A great suv for camping or travel. A 5* hands down.

Best of the best; built to last
By bucksbigtrucks on 03/21/13 20:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this truck with 201,000 miles, no problems. Now has 225,000 miles, still no problems. This truck runs so strong like it has only 25,000 miles. It can tow pretty much anything and 4X4 works great. Very satisfied with it. Only like the First Generation models though; Second Generation looks too much like a van. Stick with the 99 - 03 and you'll enjoy it.

I love this truck!
By bigrob54 on 08/19/12 16:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 99 Durango last fall. I purchased the vehical with the intent on making it into a mud bogger. I bought the truck from a retired couple that bought it new. They gave me all the recipts and a maintenace log. The truck only had 82000 miles on it! Over the winter I was in a accident with my everyday driver (2010 Silverado) The truck was totaled. I started to use the Durango as an everyday driver. I have NEVER owned a truck that did so well in the snow. I live in Northern Michigan. We get alot of snow! This Durango slices thru the snow at ease. I only had to use the 4 WD 3-4 times. I have since decieded not to turn this truck into a bogger. It's just in too good of shape. Great Truck!

Pros and cons
By League on 09/04/10 20:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have really loved owning this SUV! Knew mileage not good when I bought it but traded for versatility, power and looks. Minimal repairs. Have 150,000 and just now replaced upper ball joints and a/c. No other major repairs. Has been on many long trips and through bad weather with no problems. Handles better than other SUVs I've driven. It's been a good, solid vehicle. It's currently 11 years old and still looks great! Hope to have it for a few more years.

Paperweight
By Rychkid on 06/23/10 07:02 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this car used, primarily for the size, looks, and 4WD. While the 4WD is great in the snow, everything else is a nightmare. It was in the shop 6x in the first 3 mos. The transmission went at 80K, upper ball joints at 82K, brakes at 85K, A/C & heat at 87K, power steering at 100K, leaking oil at 108K. This is the biggest piece of garbage that I have ever owned. I absolutely hate this vehicle. Do yourself a huge favor and steer clear. It's not built to last at all. The room inside & 4WD are great, but the price of repairs and annoyance factors will drive you insane. I can't wait to pick up my new vehicle. Again, stay far, far away.

Fabulous - if you can afford it.
By So-So on 04/20/10 20:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My mother purchased this car for me at 130,000 miles and it ran perfect then. In the winter, this thing is a dream - blizzard? I don't care, 4WD - I'm going to the mall! So-so MPG is worth it. In the summer? No, thank you. MPG plus AC? No. Plus, my AC stopped working at 150,000 miles! The heater is questionable too. It takes longer than usual to defrost the windows in the winter. Also, all of that 4WD use caused driving to become uncomfortably rocky late this winter, prompting a $899 bill to replace four ball joints, tire rod end, and a wheel alignment; front end work common with this vehicle.

normal upkeep
By Andy G on 08/19/09 08:16 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Have 160,000 miles on car got it new in 1999 work on car was minimal ball joints one sencer on trans, water pump my only complaint was freeze out plugs leaking this should never happen 5.2 motor. Gas mileage 15-18 mpg rides like a truck. Front bumper chips easy and starting to get rust.

Safe, Useful, When it Runs
By gplant on 08/18/09 11:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it for my wife to giver her more metal around her. Powerful, pulls loads, and hauls whatever you wants. Sucks gas, but no surprise. Good, reliable vehicle, except for the ECM (throttle control), which has a mind of its own - you have to ride the throttle to keep it from dying. Heater core & water pump had to be replaced at 70k miles.

100,000 piece of crap
By manchild425 on 07/12/09 18:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Transmission went out at around 70,000 miles. I've had to replace the front end, rear window motor, water pump, idle air controller, and now my sun roofs motor crapped out. Huals great, love the 4WD. The gas mileage stinks but that's what I get for driving a 5.9ltr V8. I love the leather and 3rd row seating.

Money Pit
By Dodge sucks on 04/06/09 15:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I do not recommend this vehicle to anyone ... I bought it with the intention of keeping it for 10 years, therefore I serviced it accordingly at an authorized Dodge service shop. Without warning or indication the trans went out at 65k miles and again at 130k miles. I can't believe it cause I never tow anything, go off- road, or skip services. All in all it was a pile of crap from the get go - I called Dodge today to let em know Iím' unhappy - and since it is out of warranty - I have to pay for the repairs on my own. Lesson learned - Dodge is a big no no in my future. Sorry guys I really did give you an opportunity to help me out - perhaps you can rip another poor sucker off and stay in busines