Used 1999 Dodge Durango SLT Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Durango

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

All around great suv
By myrango

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my durango now for 5 years. Let me tell you this has been the best suv I've ever owned. Its realible and tough. It is just what i needed. I've driven it to Florida and back to Louisiana 4 times, with no problems!! Outside of regular maintenance its been no problem. My 1999 durango owes me nothing. I would recommend this suv for anyone. Plenty of power(5.9 liter engine). The gas milage could be better but seriously I have no complaints. 3rd row seat provides more than enough room for friends and family. 4X4, nice ruged but stylish look and bold body style.. A great suv for camping or travel. A 5* hands down.

The power and the nice look are my favorite things about this suv. It has plenty of towing power and the 4x4 drive are second to none. I love the interior room and design(leather seats) come in handy with the kids. I have the 5.9 liter engine not the 5.2!

Gas milage could be better but for all the other things I like about this suv I can deal with it.

Best of the best; built to last
By bucksbigtrucks

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this truck with 201,000 miles, no problems. Now has 225,000 miles, still no problems. This truck runs so strong like it has only 25,000 miles. It can tow pretty much anything and 4X4 works great. Very satisfied with it. Only like the First Generation models though; Second Generation looks too much like a van. Stick with the 99 - 03 and you'll enjoy it.

Rides like a truck and seats a full family. Tough and protective of the whole load. Need space? fold the 3rd row down and you're set.

Brush guards should be standard

I love this truck!
By bigrob54

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 99 Durango last fall. I purchased the vehical with the intent on making it into a mud bogger. I bought the truck from a retired couple that bought it new. They gave me all the recipts and a maintenace log. The truck only had 82000 miles on it! Over the winter I was in a accident with my everyday driver (2010 Silverado) The truck was totaled. I started to use the Durango as an everyday driver. I have NEVER owned a truck that did so well in the snow. I live in Northern Michigan. We get alot of snow! This Durango slices thru the snow at ease. I only had to use the 4 WD 3-4 times. I have since decieded not to turn this truck into a bogger. It's just in too good of shape. Great Truck!

the rugged body and 4wd are worth the so, so MPG

MPG would be one. For everyday driving in the city it sucks. But the power and 4wd make up for a little of that.

Pros and cons
By League

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have really loved owning this SUV! Knew mileage not good when I bought it but traded for versatility, power and looks. Minimal repairs. Have 150,000 and just now replaced upper ball joints and a/c. No other major repairs. Has been on many long trips and through bad weather with no problems. Handles better than other SUVs I've driven. It's been a good, solid vehicle. It's currently 11 years old and still looks great! Hope to have it for a few more years.

Versatility (7 passengers or PLENTY of cargo room w/ 3rd row fold), looks and handling. Also power and 4WD have let me fly by others in ice and snowy conditions

MPG could be better

Paperweight
By Rychkid

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this car used, primarily for the size, looks, and 4WD. While the 4WD is great in the snow, everything else is a nightmare. It was in the shop 6x in the first 3 mos. The transmission went at 80K, upper ball joints at 82K, brakes at 85K, A/C & heat at 87K, power steering at 100K, leaking oil at 108K. This is the biggest piece of garbage that I have ever owned. I absolutely hate this vehicle. Do yourself a huge favor and steer clear. It's not built to last at all. The room inside & 4WD are great, but the price of repairs and annoyance factors will drive you insane. I can't wait to pick up my new vehicle. Again, stay far, far away.

4WD, size, looks, interior room.

Completely discontinue manufacturing Durangos. They have the worst service, repair, mileage records of virtually any SUV. Might want to start socking away some cash, because combined with awful gas mileage, you're going to throw good money after bad at this thing on repairs.