1999 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
All around great suv
By myrango on 07/24/13 23:29 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my durango now for 5 years. Let me tell you this has been the best suv I've ever owned. Its realible and tough. It is just what i needed. I've driven it to Florida and back to Louisiana 4 times, with no problems!! Outside of regular maintenance its been no problem. My 1999 durango owes me nothing. I would recommend this suv for anyone. Plenty of power(5.9 liter engine). The gas milage could be better but seriously I have no complaints. 3rd row seat provides more than enough room for friends and family. 4X4, nice ruged but stylish look and bold body style.. A great suv for camping or travel. A 5* hands down.

Best of the best; built to last
By bucksbigtrucks on 03/21/13 20:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this truck with 201,000 miles, no problems. Now has 225,000 miles, still no problems. This truck runs so strong like it has only 25,000 miles. It can tow pretty much anything and 4X4 works great. Very satisfied with it. Only like the First Generation models though; Second Generation looks too much like a van. Stick with the 99 - 03 and you'll enjoy it.

I love this truck!
By bigrob54 on 08/19/12 16:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 99 Durango last fall. I purchased the vehical with the intent on making it into a mud bogger. I bought the truck from a retired couple that bought it new. They gave me all the recipts and a maintenace log. The truck only had 82000 miles on it! Over the winter I was in a accident with my everyday driver (2010 Silverado) The truck was totaled. I started to use the Durango as an everyday driver. I have NEVER owned a truck that did so well in the snow. I live in Northern Michigan. We get alot of snow! This Durango slices thru the snow at ease. I only had to use the 4 WD 3-4 times. I have since decieded not to turn this truck into a bogger. It's just in too good of shape. Great Truck!

1999 Dodge Durango
By fcardenas88 on 09/02/11 19:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

My mom bought this car new out of the lot back in 1999. She passed on to me with 100,000K when I graduated from high school. Car ran great but gas millage was horrible. The only thing I did not like about this car is that when you would drive it it was very heavy to drive and not smooth. It now has 192,000K and it still has the original tranmission and engine. Ive taken this car to Canada, Mexico and North Carolina and it did great and til this day it still runs great and looks good new too.

Pros and cons
By League on 09/04/10 20:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have really loved owning this SUV! Knew mileage not good when I bought it but traded for versatility, power and looks. Minimal repairs. Have 150,000 and just now replaced upper ball joints and a/c. No other major repairs. Has been on many long trips and through bad weather with no problems. Handles better than other SUVs I've driven. It's been a good, solid vehicle. It's currently 11 years old and still looks great! Hope to have it for a few more years.

Reason I will never own another dodge
By ebglock on 07/13/10 09:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

Great motor. transmission started giving trouble at 65k. Electrical problems massive. Switches,window regulators, speed sensors, etc., etc. Brakes crap with defective bearings from dodge.

Paperweight
By Rychkid on 06/23/10 07:02 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this car used, primarily for the size, looks, and 4WD. While the 4WD is great in the snow, everything else is a nightmare. It was in the shop 6x in the first 3 mos. The transmission went at 80K, upper ball joints at 82K, brakes at 85K, A/C & heat at 87K, power steering at 100K, leaking oil at 108K. This is the biggest piece of garbage that I have ever owned. I absolutely hate this vehicle. Do yourself a huge favor and steer clear. It's not built to last at all. The room inside & 4WD are great, but the price of repairs and annoyance factors will drive you insane. I can't wait to pick up my new vehicle. Again, stay far, far away.

Fabulous - if you can afford it.
By So-So on 04/20/10 20:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My mother purchased this car for me at 130,000 miles and it ran perfect then. In the winter, this thing is a dream - blizzard? I don't care, 4WD - I'm going to the mall! So-so MPG is worth it. In the summer? No, thank you. MPG plus AC? No. Plus, my AC stopped working at 150,000 miles! The heater is questionable too. It takes longer than usual to defrost the windows in the winter. Also, all of that 4WD use caused driving to become uncomfortably rocky late this winter, prompting a $899 bill to replace four ball joints, tire rod end, and a wheel alignment; front end work common with this vehicle.

Will you be 'thumbing it'?
By Phoenix on 03/21/10 15:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

Love this vehicle's design, space, and characteristics. Hate the fact that you might be left on foot! Going on my 'possible' 3rd transmission job in 3 years. If I keep it! Like many before, front passenger window motor, bumper peeling/rusting easily, and now, faced with another transmission job! 2 people depend on this vehicle for work while other "Dodge" in shop (over 2 wks) with no luck on getting it going. I will not buy another Dodge or Ford at this point! Either its something missed in a recall or just wasn't caught by a safety expert that gives a da**. Oh yeah, front upper/lower ball joints both wheels, sway bars, bearings to keep from crashing

normal upkeep
By Andy G on 08/19/09 08:16 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Have 160,000 miles on car got it new in 1999 work on car was minimal ball joints one sencer on trans, water pump my only complaint was freeze out plugs leaking this should never happen 5.2 motor. Gas mileage 15-18 mpg rides like a truck. Front bumper chips easy and starting to get rust.