1998 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
One of the best I've ever owned
By hwp34 on 04/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This truck is outstanding! I got over 60K miles on my brakes before they needed servicing (machine, pads, etc., not rotors!). I have not had to put a nickel into this car outside of fluid changes, one tuneup, and 4 tires. Awesome. Ok, it guzzles gas but which SUV does not. It's fun to drive and can tow really well. I wish Chrysler were still american so I could continue to purchase their vehicles.

Lived up to expectations
By Vegas on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My truck has been outstanding with everything that I have asked it to do. I have worked it very hard and occasionally have towed at capacity+. It has always performed well. Mechanically, I take very good care of it, full synthetic in the crankcase, rear diff and tranny. I installed a tranny cooler because I tow heavy loads. I am approaching 60K miles and I have replaced the front brake pads and rear bearings. Nothing out of the ordinary. Mileage is acceptable 13-14 in. A 4X4 with a V-8 and 20+mpg don't go together and anyone who bought one of these and then complains about the gas mileage didn't do their homework and shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Lousy Reliability
By lee1340 on 04/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife loved the car at first. Delightful to drive off-road however, we rarely used the 4 wheel drive system. When it was needed, it failed immediately. On the way back from Reno, Dec. 2001, the 4X went out and it had to be towed into Roseville, Ca. In Jan. 2002, we experienced the same repeated problem. In Sept. 2001, I had the 4X system gone over by the dealer to avoid such a problem. Then I discovered they don't put gaskets in this car. They use RTV only. Maintenance problems are rediculous for a 4-year old vehicle.

Should have bought a Chevy
By scott281 on 04/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my truck new in ’98. Thought it was great! That feeling is long gone. The mpg is awful! I average about 10.5 mpg. My highest mileage recorded was only 13.9 driving from SF to LA @ 70mph. I only have 31K on the truck and about 6 months ago the transmission started to go bad. And now just spent $1700 to have the whole thing rebuilt. The shop said it was the 6th Durango transmission they had rebuilt in the last eight months! Overall, I’m really disappointed with the truck. Should have listened to my friends and bought a Chevy!

I like my Durango
By jazzdog on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

15 mpg stinks, but you knew that. We tow a 19' ski boat or a loaded camper. 4X4 is great in snow or ice. Uncomfortable third seat for adults, but works for kids, folds down for cargo. Fun vehicle to drive, will buy another.

Long Term Friend
By AGF on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife was the driving force in buying the Durango, although as an old MOPAR fan, I didn't need much persuasion. The experience over the last 84,000+ miles has been pleasureable. Reliability, availability and maintainability has been exceptional. After 75,000 miles had a ball joint and wheel bearing go bad, both covered under extended warranty. Brake wear has been phenominal. Original rear brakes and second set of front pads will last until 100K. Gas mileage could be better, but going to all synthetic fluids (engine, differentials, tranny) brought the average mpg up by 3. Durable. Interior is flexible and durable. Great truck with great support.

"trouble"
By ky-fan on 03/16/02 19:58 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I was initially attracted to the Durango for its body style and size. Since buying it i have experienced considerable trouble with it. In the last year I have replaced the wheel bearings, brakes,and rotors. We've also had wiring trouble and are currently experiencing oil pump failure. although i love the body style i would not recommend this vehicle to anyone.

rev1
By jv on 03/12/02 10:31 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife just loves the truck, it is powerful and fun to drive, and it hs all the safety features she neds.

So disappointed...
By nocallady on 03/08/02 14:58 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I am sad to say I am selling my Durango. When I bought it, it was love at first sight, but that has now faded after a series of problems. Brakes & tires needed replacing after 30K,the rear differential at 50K, and now, due to a slovenly oil change shop,just replaced the transfer case because they left the plug off. After a month,the chain had overheated and was rattling around loose tearing up everything inside. For a vehicle that had such a butch appearance, it really is a sickly 90lb weakling.

My 4 year old is just fine. .
By taass on 03/03/02 21:21 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

When you buy a 4X4 V8 SUV, don't complain at the pump.I use my Durango, but don't abuse it - and pamper it with regular service.Ball joints were my fault.Lesson learned: GREASE JOBS ARE IMPORTANT!!!56,000 miles and running strong. No problems at all. Runs great, looks great.Take care of your car (any car) and it'll last you forever.There's always the occasionaly lemon (yes, even Toyotas and Honas), so don't let one review deter you.It's a great car.