Used 1998 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Durango

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Loved it/ Now Hate it
By tr2

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Loved this SUV for 4 years except for having to replace the window motors 3 times. Then it hit 70,000 m. It's been in the shop 4 times in 2 months. Now spent over $4,800 in repairs in the last 2 months. First the wiper motors and fuel pump. Then a rebuild of the transmission. Replacement of parts in the exhaust system that failed. Numerous other minor repairs. Looking at another $1,500 to fix the ABS system. Now hear there's problems with ball joints. This is ridiculous. All previous cars I owned (not Chryslers) stayed in good condition 10 years each. I am never getting another Chrysler product.

Favorite Features

Third seat. Interior size. Cargo space. The smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Quality and reliability. Any well made car should last 10 years with regular maintenance. Chrysler needs to be more reponsive to consumers and stand behind it's products.

Durango looks great but a piece of junk
By Ron Hart

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The machine falls aprt at 70K miles, new trans, re-sealed transfer case, and now a speed sensor, I think! I'll never buy a Dodge again.

Favorite Features

Look good, but all show, inder that its junk

Suggested Improvements

Quality, Quality. You're need the 100,000 warranty on the new ones.

Durango Comments
By Durango Driver

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Buy the extended warranty if you plan on keeping this vehicle for awhile. This isn't due to things breaking frequently as much as it is the actual cost of some items to replace. Great styling and ride for an SUV. Lot's of cargo room and good power with the smaller V8. Infinity sound system is awesome!! Ball joints have been replaced 4 times @ $1000 per visit. A/C problems started at 55000 miles and dealership can't figure it out.

Favorite Features

Room, stereo and space.

Suggested Improvements

Ball joints. Get rid of the overhead blower, it's in the way if your over 6'2" and you lose alot of headroom. No leg room in back seats at all.

Fun Truck to Drive
By Robert520

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Love this SUV but I anticipated problems and was smart enough to buy extended warranty. Window lifts have been replaced 2 X per window, AC evaporator went out, battery died at 24 months, steering column replaced, seat track replaced (rocking chair syndrome), speed sensor, all four speakers and some other items to many to count. I still like the vehicle though and my wife thinks it's junk. What's you expect, she drives a Camry.

Favorite Features

Styling, interior room, tumble forward rear seats, lay flat third seat, towing capacity, cargo room, sound system, and off road capabilty, and passing power.

Suggested Improvements

fix the reliability problems!

Love my Durango
By Sommer

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I absolutely love my Durango. I am not a big fan of dodge but, I love my truck. It is perfect for a family, it has plenty of room but its not too bulky. It doesn't drive like an SUV. I am very comfortable in it.

Favorite Features

Third Row Seat

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage