1998 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Don't buy one.
By Little puppy on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Poor performace Uncomfortable Unsafe brakes Miserable gas mileage Flimsy Unreliable What a mistake, My wife liked better than a "minivan" when we bought it. Now it just sits. It has been in and out of the shop most of it's life

problems to be expected
By chickie on 06/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

At 58,000 miles, I spent $2500 on getting the whole rear end replaced. All rear axle bearings,differential, trac lock assembly, etc. had to be replaced. The ABS light was diagnosed 3x's (at my expence)as incorrect programming. Until finally the diagnosis was a 560.00$ anti lock brake controller which is on national back order. Think they will do a recall? Ha. Strange thing is that our 97 Dakota has the same problem. Hmmm. Another consistency with our 2 Dodge vehicles is the evaporator pads for the A/C went (only 24K miles on the Dakota). Cost to replace, only an additional $900.00.

OK Vehicle, but there are better
By okvehicle on 05/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought Durango in 98 and loved it. Hated the gas mileage from the start though. The interior is poor at best. The middle seat will not support a rear- facing child seat safely. Not comfortable at all. After a 3 hour trip I feel like I am beat. Decent reliablility. Spark plugs only lasted 30K miles, replace O2 sensor @ 30K, Been through 3 batteries. Brake wear is great and have not had a "major" problem yet.

Big&Beautiful
By chris huffman on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

since I 've bought it in December 2001, I have enjoyed every mile in it. I've only had to replace the water pump on it, but I am still waiting for other problems to occur. It rides very well for a 4 wheel drive. The drivers seat is really comfortable especially if you have back trouble. It is very spacious and is awesome and practical for kids and even to haul friends around. The option to put up or down the third seat is great. The cargo area could use more head room for bikes and such and is not really meant to move big furniture as we have found out. Rear air could blow out harder than what it does and could have more versital air vents.

Buying a Toyota
By Buying a toyota on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1998 Durango in Jan. 2001...I have driven it about 50000 miles and have had pretty good luck with it up to now but I think my luck is beginning to run out. The driver's side passenger window won't goup and down all the time unless yo slam the door, the transmission won't shift gears when you first start it and the suspension is getting really loose. This truck is not good for alot of highway driving. And forget about the mountains...you have to turn off the overdrive and just watch the gas gauge go down at the speed of sound....

i love mopar
By mr.thompson on 05/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango 4dr SUV 4WD

nothing much no major problems the engine burns a lil oil no smoke no leaks and no knocking

Not so bad
By nextdoor on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango 4dr SUV 4WD

Tires wear quickly....Drives like a truck. If you need storage space buy something else. Is fun to drive.

Styled well, but poor quality
By CMON on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased my Durango in 98, The body style is looks good. Problems with my Durango - All 4 window moldings rusted and Chrysler nor the dealer would replace them. The differential started grinding around 50K miles. A loud clunk noise when put in Reverse. Dealer says its normal (their answer for everything) I have tested other manufactures Chevy, Ford, Lexus and it's not normal. The company only cares about the sytle not the quality. Planning on Selling and buying a Lexud RX-300.

durango
By Pashka on 04/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Fun to drive, excellent for towing. Nice for family.

Durango a problem
By Thomas M. Fink on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Rides like a tank. have replaced the ball joints at 37,000 miles and the heater core at 47,000 miles both were major expenses. One of the worst 4x4 trucks I have ever owned. Dealership argues with you on everything. They had the gall to say ball joints on a four wheel drive go out about 35,000 to 40,000 miles. If this is the case Dodge should start making a different product other than trucks. Try washing machines it would probably have the same ride as their trucks.