1998 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews 7

1998 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Never a Problem
By JLM on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

There doesn't seem to be much middle ground on the Durango, love it or hate it. I love it, never had one problem and it has been a great family car. Terriffic styling, solid feel, and very versatile with 3 rows but shorter than a minivan. Highly recommend it to anyone.

Way to go Dodge
By First Dodge on 10/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Great Suv I have had this truck for 3 years and have only spent 600.00 in repairs, including tires. The only two problems i have had in the 3 years I have owned it are An expensive front end alignment and a crank shaft sensor.

Durango blues
By Durango dud on 08/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Things that go wrong in less than 50,000 Front tie rods replacead at 44,000 miles transmission speed sensor replaces at 42000miles fuel sensor replced at 39,000 now rear bearing is going and needs replced at 53,000miles

What a deal!
By Trux on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had nothing but a positive experience with this vehicle over the last 50K miles (since new). Mechanically it has run like a top except for a slight (and I mean SLIGHT) oil leak that has never caused problems. It easily has enough space to take the family (kids and dog) on long trips and enough room so that people aren't all over each other

What a Ride!!!!!
By dodgelady on 07/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Anyone who complains of the gas mileage should have researched their purchase first! I have the '98 model durango (SLT) with the V-8 engine. It gets 15mpg on average. I purchased it to pull my sailboat; 5000 lbs. It does a wonderful job. The leather seats are easy to care for. I have not had any repairs other than routine maintenance. It is also wonderful off road. I would definitely buy a new one. If you want a luxury vehicle; buy a cadillac. This SUV was definitely made as a 'tough truck'.

Why I like Durango
By McInnes on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Looks solid, but rides too bouncy.

Switched from a Chevy
By merrifla on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall great truck but I feel like I'm married to the gas pump. Love the sturdiness - doesn't feel like a tin can. Great for towing my boat and camper. Suprised that I got better gas mileage in the mountains than I do in the flatlands of Florida. I didn't realize how sturdy this truck was until a VW Rabbit rear-ended me at 45 m.p.h. while I was at a dead stop. My bumper was smashed but the Rabbit was totalled. I decided the poor gas mileage was worth the price of having a truck that stood up in an accident. Now I wouldn't trade it!

I Love My Truck
By gadgetlawyer on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Four years ago, my wife threatened to divorce me if I bought my Durango. I bought the Durango and she left. I still like the truck better than her. The gas mileage keeps improving with age. The Durango now has 91K and gets about 18.3 mpg on a straight run @ 70 mph. It has been very reliable. with few major repairs. The truck pulls my sailboat (~3600 lbs) with ease. The truck is great on out-of-state hockey trips for my son. It has loads of cargo room for handling goalie equipment. The third seat is great, reducing inter-sibling fights by 40% when kids sit in different seats. I love my truck, and would buy another Durango.

Darn dependable Durango
By walterplankaert on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The Durango is the first American made vehicle I have ever owned. I bought it mainly for long road trips in both summer and winter and I commuet to work in it daily. It has been bullet proof. I have never had this vehicle in for any repairs other than scheduled maintenance. I have 88,000 miles on it in 4 years. I bought the Durango fully loaded with the 5.9 V8. It is an extremely comfortable, fast, dependable ride and is an excellent touring vehicle. One of the best cars I have ever owned. Great stereo to boot. I upgraded shocks and tires and both made a big difference.

GREAT SUV!!!
By ajrico on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Fun to drive, and the 4WD works wonders. Gas mileage is actually good on the highway (for an SUV with a V8 engine). Extremely powerful and wide vehicle.