1998 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Never again a Dodge
By amstad on 03/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had the Dodge Durango since 98. It has broken down 5 times already. All window motor sensors needed to be replaced. The waterpump broke two times. Tranmission seals needed to be replaced. It is a mess. Never again will purchase a dodge.

Best SUV Ever
By Jeff Piotrowskiq on 02/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango 4dr SUV 4WD

I leased my Durango as soon as they came out. It has been an excellent vehicle. In 75,000 miles of driving, I have only had it in the shop twice for any significant repairs (Manifikd gasket, coolant temp sensor). The tires lasted over 50,000 miles. The truck still looks like new!!! I am also one of the few that have actually taken their SUV off-road. The truck was amazing, pulling through mud up to the door handles!!!! What a truck!!! Some day I would love to buy an R/T.

bad luck with the durango
By tara mcGahey on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango 4dr SUV 4WD

My car has been one big headache. I have pages and pages of repair and repeated repair bills.

I will never purchase a Dodge again
By jlohn on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have never had a vehicle that required so many trips to the dealer. It's only a 98, but I'm on my third battery, the lower ball joints have been replaced, the air conditioner has been replaced, the rear wiper motor, all 4 power window motors (drivers side twice), transmission sensor. Several wheel studs have needed replacement. Luckily most of the repairs were covered under warrenty. Currently, I have the rocking chair problem with the drivers seat that most other Durango owners have noticed.

Steer Clear of Durango
By twyatt on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Nothing but problems with this "truck." Ex: gear shift melted off after 7 months due to heat in the car. Dodge refused warranty coverage. Engin blew after 82000 miles. Certified Dodge dealership in Chicago repaired the vehicle incorrectly, which led to future main gasket problem. The dealership which caused the problem since went out of business and Chrysler refused any warranty coverage. The list goes on. I will never purchase another Chrysler product.

A GREAT American Truck !
By nicko on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the Duarngo as soon as it came out and after reading the excellent reviews at the time. In 1998 it was the only mid-sized SUV to have 7 seats and stadium seating. We also considered the Mercedes ML 320 which had just come out but they were dragging their heels on the 7 available seats. The Duarango has been as solid as a rock brushing aside snow and floods with no difficulty and its Mack Truck looks only add to the appeal !

bad rear end
By oc dd on 12/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango 4dr SUV 4WD

Does this sound familar. Great looker, nice features, had to have it when I saw it. 58K miles later I get 10.2 gallons per mile, the AC evaporator replaced twice under warranty and once by me. Now it needs a new rear end! My mechanic says it is quite common! It still looks good (other than rust on bottom of window frames).

Better than expected
By Scottyl on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

I got the low-end with the 8-cylinder and really like it

98 Dodge Durango
By Bob Troncale on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been a very reliable car that my son drove. Never wrecked or off road.

not too happy
By goldman on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My dodge ran fine for 40,000 miles but have had to put a rear end on at 54,000.Cost $2,500. Other problems are tie rods and lower ball joints. Would not buy another one due to problems, poor resale value and poor gas mileage. If your rear pinion bearing acts up make sure your mechanic looks it over pretty closely.