1998 Dodge Durango Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

1998 Durango Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Sort Reviews by

Love my Mopar
By Love MOPAR

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this with 23,000 miles and now it has 96,000, and I must say I love my Mopar. It's true gas mileage needs a lot of work. But hey... it holds all 5 kids and the wife. It pulls the boat like there isn't anything behind it. Had the sterio replaced along with the speakers, and now we rock out, driving down the road. This truck has never left us stranded. There was never a time I would wonder if she'd start. Very reliable, 318 power plant can't be beat. Gone across country 3 times on a whims notice, never once had any issue. Set the cruise control to 85 and eased down the road, though we stopped several times for gasoline. I will drive her til she can't go anymore.

Favorite Features

Dependabilty, quiet ride, towing package. Yeah, boy is she tough

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is the only thing that needs improvement.

Durango rocks
By DurangoMan

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 98 Durango in 2000. It has been the coolest vehicle we've ever had. It's a minivan on the inside and a 4x4 truck on the outside. We've had reasonable repairs....trans seal, axle seal, ball joints, battery, and brakes (new calipers and rotors). It now has 96,000 miles and starts and runs perfect. I can't say enough about it. It's just awesome. Our dog even likes it!

Favorite Features

Totally awesome looking. 4x4 takes us up, over, and through just about anything. Excellent in the snow and ice with 4X4. Enough room for family of 5 to stretch out on road trips.

Suggested Improvements

Not really anything. We get 11 - 12 mpg in town but I can't complain considering it has a V8 and 4x4 parts that add to the weight.

Decent SUV
By Derrik

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle has great pulling power and torque. Has some reliability issues but usually nothing major. Gas mileage is terrible. Nice to climb and mud in. I know several people that own Dodge 4x4 including some with Durangos and the general concensus is the transmissions tend to not last longer than 140k mi.

Favorite Features

Overhead console display and excellent torque

Suggested Improvements

Increase engine efficiency. Mirrors need to be smaller. They create a bad blind spot. Make transmission heavier duty.

Bought Used, Wrecked Once, Still Keeping
By redhight

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

1st SUV, 1st Dodge. Tow pkg, 5.9 eng, w/23k miles. Drove everywhere on/offroad, towed trailer, horse, moving van. Lowered the back seats and hauled firewood, hay, camping gear. Rearended a 1-ton p-up 4 yrs ago, got it fixed and she's fine! Loaned it out to friends and family, too. Just under 130k miles now. Needs tie-rod, ball joint, front end align and heater-core replacement. Except for gas mileage woes, virtually no maintenance on this Durango but oil/radiator fluid changes and brakes. Drove at avg. speeds of 65+ After 7 yrs it's still going with less than $4k in repairs? Is there a problem? Nope. Will pass it to my daughter when I'm done.

Favorite Features

Power and speed! Front seat comfort. Safety level. Strong and sexy body style. Always starts in freezing weather when stored outside! Leather upholstery, so far, bulletproof

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage! Make it travel down the road a bit more quietly, that'd be nice.

I will never buy another
By Joe

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1998 Durango with only 42K miles on it. At first it was great until the brakes started to squeak after 2 weeks. I tried 3 different brands of brakes pads and bought new rotors but they still were making the noise. I gave up. Then 2 months later the transfer case seals started to leak which I later found to be a common problem. That was a $300 repair with only 50K miles on the truck. I liked the room and the looks but with such poor gas mileage and build quality, I cut my losses. Never again. The truck also developed quite a bit of surface rust. The truck was sold after 11 months of ownership. So much for Dodge.

Favorite Features

The room and agressive looks.

Suggested Improvements

Build a truck that does not fall apart after 50K miles!

Money Pit--Slick looks, sickly quality
By My Dodge Is Junk

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The gas mileage I expected (around 12), the trips to the shop are ridiculous-- water pump, heater blower, power driver's seat motor, head gasket, rear a/c, etc etc etc. I can't believe a vehicle that stickered for $37K can be such a piece of junk at 100k miles. Had 100K warranty thank God, but even then the dealer said clunking noise in tranny reverse is normal, whistling noise in heater blower is normal...words can't describe my disappointment. On my way to go trade it for a Nissan Murano

Favorite Features

Looks great, comfortable, just terrible quality

Suggested Improvements

Quality

Wish I could afford to drive
By brokefromgasprices

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Durango; it has every feature including the sickest aftermarket sunroof I've ever seen. This SUV is the most beautiful on the market in my opinion. But I just can't afford to drive it ever. I haven't been out of town since owning it! This SUV is so plush and comfortable, with a tight turning radius and a ride like a Cadillac, like you're driving around sitting on your couch. Infinity speakers stink though. I blew out the side ones within a week. My Durango reminds me of something seen in a classic car collection. It should be looked at and admired for its beauty and quality but never ever driven. I'll miss it when it's gone but I love to drive too much to keep it.

Favorite Features

Plush interior, digital readouts, comfortable seats, huge roomy interior with enough room to cart around 7 adult friends. Beautifully styled exterior. Stadium seating for 2nd and 3rd row seats. Large side-view mirrors; you won't miss anything.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. It's the only problem with this wonderful vehicle. Oh yeah, better stereo speakers.

Don't forget your wallet on trips
By not a fan

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I like the fact that this car has never left me stranded, but I only get 11 MPG in town and 15 MPG on the highway! My keyless entry only works when it wants to, and my security alarm goes off even when it's parked in the garage for no apparent reason! My biggest complaint though is the gas mileage. It's very poor. I could understand if I were pulling a trailer, but not just cruising down the highway.

Favorite Features

Reliable shift-on-the-fly 4WD

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, more comfortable seats.

My Durango
By Keith

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My favorite of all midsize SUVs. Beautiful design. It's much more stylish than any of those boxes on wheels rolling around out there. It has great interior space for cargo and passengers. Best of all it has an incredibly strong and powerful engine. I have done everything from get out of 4 foot snow drifts to pushing disabled cars and towing large boats. Not as quiet as a luxury vehicle but definitely more affordable and practical. By far one of the best car selections that I ever made.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine. Great acceleration. Great leg room. I am over 6 feet tall and I still have plenty of leg room to stretch out behind the wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the 1998 to 2004 design. Place the shifter in the center console. Other than that it is a perfect truck.

Versatile
By RCV718

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love everything about this car EXCEPT the gas mileage (I'm averaging 12 in a mix of city and highway). Starts right up in freezing temperatures, the 4wd plows right through the snow, and the car is very comfortable for long commutes. At about 90k now, and it has an exhaust leak, needs new shocks and brakes, and seems to have some sort of electrical problem with the lighting system. As it is a higher mileage vehicle, I am not surprised. The 318 is a tough engine, you can't kill it - no problems with the tranny yet.

Favorite Features

Leather Interior, 318 Engine, Spacious Interior, Towing Capacity, 4wd

Suggested Improvements

DITCH THE INFINITY SYSTEM - Every Dodge I've ever seen with this system blows it's speakers. Gas mileage is in need of tremendous improvement.