Used 1998 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

My Best Vehicle
By janbon

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've been driving my Durango for 7 years, longer than any other vehicle I've ever owned, and I plan to drive it for a long time to come. I am getting ready to have the trans rebuilt, it's been messing up some for a couple of years, and with 154k miles, I can see why it would. But it hasn't broken down on me because of it. I love this vehicle. I do wish the gas mileage was better, but with the performance and reliability and comfort, etc, the mileage has been tolerable. This has been my favorite rig.

Love the body style, color, comfort, gets up and goes, handles well.

Best SUV
By Rob

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned three Dodge Durangos and they have always been dependable and fun to drive. My 98 Durango has 237,000 miles on it. I do not plan on getting rid of it any time soon. I own a 2008 Dodge Durango also and love both of them.

Power, comfort and looks.

gas guzzler
By kyle c

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

it was ok, until the breaks squeaked after 3 weeks. but the gas is ridiculous. i dont go far without visiting a gas station so if u want to save money dont buy this car.

better gas, better breaks.

Had some trouble but love the vehicle
By Caliebear22

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had to replace the front differential, tires (regular maintenance). I changed the oil to synthetic, now we are having trouble with ball joints. Gas mileage is OK. I get about 15mpg and I have the 3.18 v8 best engine to get. In town I get 11-13mpg. I overall love this car and it did wonders on a slippery slope while having a trailer attached and the brakes are wonderful. I would recommend buying this vehicle. I do have tranny problems. It doesn't like 2nd gear and I have the auto.

How much it is like a truck, how comfy and roomy it is. How reliable it is when it is working right.

Tranny, gas mileage

30,000 miles of hard driving, still great
By white98d

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Had the car for 30000 miles and been in two accidents. Rearended a pickup, got it fixed, then was rearended by a Jeep Cherokee that got totaled but other than a lot of scuffed paint the Durango was fine. Only thing bad about it is the gas mileage so I put on an aftermarket intake system and exhaust now it gets 13 city 19 highway. Best thing about it is the power. Took it offroading didn't have a problem anywhere in 4wd. Also driving on the highway is a blast . I love this car and would get another after this if I can find one with low amount of miles. does great burnouts, too.

Power. Knowing that i can drive pretty much anywhere and not get stuck.

None. Only thing is gas mileage but that's expected out of a 5.9l engine.