1998 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Love my Mopar
By Love MOPAR on 02/15/08 12:08 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this with 23,000 miles and now it has 96,000, and I must say I love my Mopar. It's true gas mileage needs a lot of work. But hey... it holds all 5 kids and the wife. It pulls the boat like there isn't anything behind it. Had the sterio replaced along with the speakers, and now we rock out, driving down the road. This truck has never left us stranded. There was never a time I would wonder if she'd start. Very reliable, 318 power plant can't be beat. Gone across country 3 times on a whims notice, never once had any issue. Set the cruise control to 85 and eased down the road, though we stopped several times for gasoline. I will drive her til she can't go anymore.

Durango rocks
By DurangoMan on 10/25/07 18:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 98 Durango in 2000. It has been the coolest vehicle we've ever had. It's a minivan on the inside and a 4x4 truck on the outside. We've had reasonable repairs....trans seal, axle seal, ball joints, battery, and brakes (new calipers and rotors). It now has 96,000 miles and starts and runs perfect. I can't say enough about it. It's just awesome. Our dog even likes it!

Decent SUV
By Derrik on 11/20/06 16:59 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle has great pulling power and torque. Has some reliability issues but usually nothing major. Gas mileage is terrible. Nice to climb and mud in. I know several people that own Dodge 4x4 including some with Durangos and the general concensus is the transmissions tend to not last longer than 140k mi.

Bought Used, Wrecked Once, Still Keeping
By redhight on 09/02/06 17:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

1st SUV, 1st Dodge. Tow pkg, 5.9 eng, w/23k miles. Drove everywhere on/offroad, towed trailer, horse, moving van. Lowered the back seats and hauled firewood, hay, camping gear. Rearended a 1-ton p-up 4 yrs ago, got it fixed and she's fine! Loaned it out to friends and family, too. Just under 130k miles now. Needs tie-rod, ball joint, front end align and heater-core replacement. Except for gas mileage woes, virtually no maintenance on this Durango but oil/radiator fluid changes and brakes. Drove at avg. speeds of 65+ After 7 yrs it's still going with less than $4k in repairs? Is there a problem? Nope. Will pass it to my daughter when I'm done.

I will never buy another
By Joe on 08/24/06 09:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1998 Durango with only 42K miles on it. At first it was great until the brakes started to squeak after 2 weeks. I tried 3 different brands of brakes pads and bought new rotors but they still were making the noise. I gave up. Then 2 months later the transfer case seals started to leak which I later found to be a common problem. That was a $300 repair with only 50K miles on the truck. I liked the room and the looks but with such poor gas mileage and build quality, I cut my losses. Never again. The truck also developed quite a bit of surface rust. The truck was sold after 11 months of ownership. So much for Dodge.

Money Pit--Slick looks, sickly quality
By My Dodge Is Junk on 07/09/06 16:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The gas mileage I expected (around 12), the trips to the shop are ridiculous-- water pump, heater blower, power driver's seat motor, head gasket, rear a/c, etc etc etc. I can't believe a vehicle that stickered for $37K can be such a piece of junk at 100k miles. Had 100K warranty thank God, but even then the dealer said clunking noise in tranny reverse is normal, whistling noise in heater blower is normal...words can't describe my disappointment. On my way to go trade it for a Nissan Murano

Wish I could afford to drive
By brokefromgasprices on 05/08/06 13:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Durango; it has every feature including the sickest aftermarket sunroof I've ever seen. This SUV is the most beautiful on the market in my opinion. But I just can't afford to drive it ever. I haven't been out of town since owning it! This SUV is so plush and comfortable, with a tight turning radius and a ride like a Cadillac, like you're driving around sitting on your couch. Infinity speakers stink though. I blew out the side ones within a week. My Durango reminds me of something seen in a classic car collection. It should be looked at and admired for its beauty and quality but never ever driven. I'll miss it when it's gone but I love to drive too much to keep it.

Don't forget your wallet on trips
By not a fan on 07/06/05 22:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I like the fact that this car has never left me stranded, but I only get 11 MPG in town and 15 MPG on the highway! My keyless entry only works when it wants to, and my security alarm goes off even when it's parked in the garage for no apparent reason! My biggest complaint though is the gas mileage. It's very poor. I could understand if I were pulling a trailer, but not just cruising down the highway.

My Durango
By Keith on 06/14/05 16:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My favorite of all midsize SUVs. Beautiful design. It's much more stylish than any of those boxes on wheels rolling around out there. It has great interior space for cargo and passengers. Best of all it has an incredibly strong and powerful engine. I have done everything from get out of 4 foot snow drifts to pushing disabled cars and towing large boats. Not as quiet as a luxury vehicle but definitely more affordable and practical. By far one of the best car selections that I ever made.

Versatile
By RCV718 on 04/04/05 08:48 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love everything about this car EXCEPT the gas mileage (I'm averaging 12 in a mix of city and highway). Starts right up in freezing temperatures, the 4wd plows right through the snow, and the car is very comfortable for long commutes. At about 90k now, and it has an exhaust leak, needs new shocks and brakes, and seems to have some sort of electrical problem with the lighting system. As it is a higher mileage vehicle, I am not surprised. The 318 is a tough engine, you can't kill it - no problems with the tranny yet.