Used 1998 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Most Helpful|
Nice SUV
By Pac_man

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had very good luck with my Durango. I love the flexibility and styling. The ride can be a little rough and the gas mileage is terrible, but other than that it's a great SUV. If they sold the same truck with a diesel, I would buy it in a second.

Favorite Features

exterior design, interior flexibility.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel mileage, more confortable riding suspension

I will never buy another
By Joe

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1998 Durango with only 42K miles on it. At first it was great until the brakes started to squeak after 2 weeks. I tried 3 different brands of brakes pads and bought new rotors but they still were making the noise. I gave up. Then 2 months later the transfer case seals started to leak which I later found to be a common problem. That was a $300 repair with only 50K miles on the truck. I liked the room and the looks but with such poor gas mileage and build quality, I cut my losses. Never again. The truck also developed quite a bit of surface rust. The truck was sold after 11 months of ownership. So much for Dodge.

Favorite Features

The room and agressive looks.

Suggested Improvements

Build a truck that does not fall apart after 50K miles!

Had some trouble but love the vehicle
By Caliebear22

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had to replace the front differential, tires (regular maintenance). I changed the oil to synthetic, now we are having trouble with ball joints. Gas mileage is OK. I get about 15mpg and I have the 3.18 v8 best engine to get. In town I get 11-13mpg. I overall love this car and it did wonders on a slippery slope while having a trailer attached and the brakes are wonderful. I would recommend buying this vehicle. I do have tranny problems. It doesn't like 2nd gear and I have the auto.

Favorite Features

How much it is like a truck, how comfy and roomy it is. How reliable it is when it is working right.

Suggested Improvements

Tranny, gas mileage

Me and my Durango
By Gigi

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I was the first owner and with a little help on the gas mileage, I would never give it up. Body still good, interior quality was very good after all the years and the people no real wear and tear to speak of. Drives like a car and makes me feel safe. Stereo needs to be changed but...

Favorite Features

Just the whole car. I really love it.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage. Oh and I do have a bit of an issue with the wall mirrors:)

Adored this car
By AEpixie7

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents purchased this car when I was in middle school, and passed it down to me as my first car. We live in an area of heavy snow at times, and I swear this car has gotten me through 2 to 3 foot snow drifts without a problem. It now has 210,000 miles on it, has been in 2 wrecks, but it still runs EXTREMELY well. Very reliable and great in extreme weather. I will sincerely miss it when the time comes.

Favorite Features

High ground clearance in the snow, great on wet or dirt roads, reliable, and very stylish, compared to other SUVs. Also, great interior options and sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously, with any large SUV, fuel economy is a problem. However, a lot of large SUVs these days require premium, and the Durango has always run well on midgrade.