Used 1998 Dodge Durango SLT SUV Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

221000 miles on her same motor and tranny
By david

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my 1998 dodge Durango 5.2 L at 20,000 miles on it first it was the only car me and the wife had so we had to be really nice to it then we raised six kids with it then we got a expedition el and the Durango had 100,000 miles at this time it became all mine I have a very heavy foot I treated it like a hot rod now for four years and 120,000 miles and still has the same engine,tranny,rear end,transfer case and front end and POWER that it did the day I got it takes snow rain mud very well I would never get rid of her I have money set aside just for her if anything ever did go wrong she WILL be fixed we have five cars and this is my go to ride for work or play the only bad thing is with me is I replace tires a lot (heavy foot)

Will drive it until death ... me, not the Dodge ;)
By the Reece's

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Fuel mileage is what you'd expect out of an SUV - but still better than our conversion van and pickup. The driver's seat is electronically adjustable and IMO the most comfortable seat in it. We have 8 children, and are daily lifting, folding, readjusting the seats - and it still performs like a beast. West Virginia treacherous mountains, muddy rut filled roads and deep snows - never a problem...except sometimes my driving LOL
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Durango. It's body will never go out of style. Like any vehicle, there will be maintenance. Old things wear out, and have to be tended to or occasionally replaced. I plant to drive this thing until death - mine, not hers. I'm convinced she will live forever.

Me and my Durango
By Gigi

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I was the first owner and with a little help on the gas mileage, I would never give it up. Body still good, interior quality was very good after all the years and the people no real wear and tear to speak of. Drives like a car and makes me feel safe. Stereo needs to be changed but...

Just the whole car. I really love it.

Mileage. Oh and I do have a bit of an issue with the wall mirrors:)

My Best Vehicle
By janbon

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've been driving my Durango for 7 years, longer than any other vehicle I've ever owned, and I plan to drive it for a long time to come. I am getting ready to have the trans rebuilt, it's been messing up some for a couple of years, and with 154k miles, I can see why it would. But it hasn't broken down on me because of it. I love this vehicle. I do wish the gas mileage was better, but with the performance and reliability and comfort, etc, the mileage has been tolerable. This has been my favorite rig.

Love the body style, color, comfort, gets up and goes, handles well.

Had some trouble but love the vehicle
By Caliebear22

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had to replace the front differential, tires (regular maintenance). I changed the oil to synthetic, now we are having trouble with ball joints. Gas mileage is OK. I get about 15mpg and I have the 3.18 v8 best engine to get. In town I get 11-13mpg. I overall love this car and it did wonders on a slippery slope while having a trailer attached and the brakes are wonderful. I would recommend buying this vehicle. I do have tranny problems. It doesn't like 2nd gear and I have the auto.

How much it is like a truck, how comfy and roomy it is. How reliable it is when it is working right.

Tranny, gas mileage