1998 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Me and my Durango
By Gigi on 03/19/10 19:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I was the first owner and with a little help on the gas mileage, I would never give it up. Body still good, interior quality was very good after all the years and the people no real wear and tear to speak of. Drives like a car and makes me feel safe. Stereo needs to be changed but...

My Best Vehicle
By janbon on 03/10/10 16:55 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've been driving my Durango for 7 years, longer than any other vehicle I've ever owned, and I plan to drive it for a long time to come. I am getting ready to have the trans rebuilt, it's been messing up some for a couple of years, and with 154k miles, I can see why it would. But it hasn't broken down on me because of it. I love this vehicle. I do wish the gas mileage was better, but with the performance and reliability and comfort, etc, the mileage has been tolerable. This has been my favorite rig.

Had some trouble but love the vehicle
By Caliebear22 on 01/09/09 00:39 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had to replace the front differential, tires (regular maintenance). I changed the oil to synthetic, now we are having trouble with ball joints. Gas mileage is OK. I get about 15mpg and I have the 3.18 v8 best engine to get. In town I get 11-13mpg. I overall love this car and it did wonders on a slippery slope while having a trailer attached and the brakes are wonderful. I would recommend buying this vehicle. I do have tranny problems. It doesn't like 2nd gear and I have the auto.

30,000 miles of hard driving, still great
By white98d on 01/01/09 06:18 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Had the car for 30000 miles and been in two accidents. Rearended a pickup, got it fixed, then was rearended by a Jeep Cherokee that got totaled but other than a lot of scuffed paint the Durango was fine. Only thing bad about it is the gas mileage so I put on an aftermarket intake system and exhaust now it gets 13 city 19 highway. Best thing about it is the power. Took it offroading didn't have a problem anywhere in 4wd. Also driving on the highway is a blast . I love this car and would get another after this if I can find one with low amount of miles. does great burnouts, too.

Love of my life
By maxposner on 07/09/08 07:59 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

When I bought this truck, I needed a backup truck for my business, and a car to haul my children around. I was asked many times how I liked it, and always replied that I needed to put more miles on it. Well It has been over 10 years, and 193k original exhaust, 4 sets of tires, and very little maintenance. The tranny finally gave up(plugged cooler line),and I need to replace the blower motor.This truck has pulled everything, hauled everything(I've bent the springs), driven hundreds of miles in 4wd through blizzards and drifts, it could quit and I wouldn't fault it, I don't baby anything, this one has been used and abused, it will last forever. 22 mpg, 65 MPH lightly loaded. 13 MPG, 75 mph, heavy load.

Get your own
By Love It on 03/18/08 20:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV is almost perfect. It's large, it powerful, great design, comfort like a spendy luxury, reliable as they come and very fun. I had to replace a $3 valve in the AC, a battery and the normal brakes and tires in the 8 years i have had it. Other than that all my paycheck goes toward gas but its worth it.

Love my Mopar
By Love MOPAR on 02/15/08 12:08 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this with 23,000 miles and now it has 96,000, and I must say I love my Mopar. It's true gas mileage needs a lot of work. But hey... it holds all 5 kids and the wife. It pulls the boat like there isn't anything behind it. Had the sterio replaced along with the speakers, and now we rock out, driving down the road. This truck has never left us stranded. There was never a time I would wonder if she'd start. Very reliable, 318 power plant can't be beat. Gone across country 3 times on a whims notice, never once had any issue. Set the cruise control to 85 and eased down the road, though we stopped several times for gasoline. I will drive her til she can't go anymore.

Durango rocks
By DurangoMan on 10/25/07 18:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 98 Durango in 2000. It has been the coolest vehicle we've ever had. It's a minivan on the inside and a 4x4 truck on the outside. We've had reasonable repairs....trans seal, axle seal, ball joints, battery, and brakes (new calipers and rotors). It now has 96,000 miles and starts and runs perfect. I can't say enough about it. It's just awesome. Our dog even likes it!

Decent SUV
By Derrik on 11/20/06 16:59 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle has great pulling power and torque. Has some reliability issues but usually nothing major. Gas mileage is terrible. Nice to climb and mud in. I know several people that own Dodge 4x4 including some with Durangos and the general concensus is the transmissions tend to not last longer than 140k mi.

Bought Used, Wrecked Once, Still Keeping
By redhight on 09/02/06 17:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

1st SUV, 1st Dodge. Tow pkg, 5.9 eng, w/23k miles. Drove everywhere on/offroad, towed trailer, horse, moving van. Lowered the back seats and hauled firewood, hay, camping gear. Rearended a 1-ton p-up 4 yrs ago, got it fixed and she's fine! Loaned it out to friends and family, too. Just under 130k miles now. Needs tie-rod, ball joint, front end align and heater-core replacement. Except for gas mileage woes, virtually no maintenance on this Durango but oil/radiator fluid changes and brakes. Drove at avg. speeds of 65+ After 7 yrs it's still going with less than $4k in repairs? Is there a problem? Nope. Will pass it to my daughter when I'm done.