Used 1998 Dodge Durango SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Me and my Durango
By Gigi

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I was the first owner and with a little help on the gas mileage, I would never give it up. Body still good, interior quality was very good after all the years and the people no real wear and tear to speak of. Drives like a car and makes me feel safe. Stereo needs to be changed but...

Favorite Features

Just the whole car. I really love it.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage. Oh and I do have a bit of an issue with the wall mirrors:)

My Best Vehicle
By janbon

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've been driving my Durango for 7 years, longer than any other vehicle I've ever owned, and I plan to drive it for a long time to come. I am getting ready to have the trans rebuilt, it's been messing up some for a couple of years, and with 154k miles, I can see why it would. But it hasn't broken down on me because of it. I love this vehicle. I do wish the gas mileage was better, but with the performance and reliability and comfort, etc, the mileage has been tolerable. This has been my favorite rig.

Favorite Features

Love the body style, color, comfort, gets up and goes, handles well.

Had some trouble but love the vehicle
By Caliebear22

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had to replace the front differential, tires (regular maintenance). I changed the oil to synthetic, now we are having trouble with ball joints. Gas mileage is OK. I get about 15mpg and I have the 3.18 v8 best engine to get. In town I get 11-13mpg. I overall love this car and it did wonders on a slippery slope while having a trailer attached and the brakes are wonderful. I would recommend buying this vehicle. I do have tranny problems. It doesn't like 2nd gear and I have the auto.

Favorite Features

How much it is like a truck, how comfy and roomy it is. How reliable it is when it is working right.

Suggested Improvements

Tranny, gas mileage

30,000 miles of hard driving, still great
By white98d

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Had the car for 30000 miles and been in two accidents. Rearended a pickup, got it fixed, then was rearended by a Jeep Cherokee that got totaled but other than a lot of scuffed paint the Durango was fine. Only thing bad about it is the gas mileage so I put on an aftermarket intake system and exhaust now it gets 13 city 19 highway. Best thing about it is the power. Took it offroading didn't have a problem anywhere in 4wd. Also driving on the highway is a blast . I love this car and would get another after this if I can find one with low amount of miles. does great burnouts, too.

Favorite Features

Power. Knowing that i can drive pretty much anywhere and not get stuck.

Suggested Improvements

None. Only thing is gas mileage but that's expected out of a 5.9l engine.

Love of my life
By maxposner

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

When I bought this truck, I needed a backup truck for my business, and a car to haul my children around. I was asked many times how I liked it, and always replied that I needed to put more miles on it. Well It has been over 10 years, and 193k original exhaust, 4 sets of tires, and very little maintenance. The tranny finally gave up(plugged cooler line),and I need to replace the blower motor.This truck has pulled everything, hauled everything(I've bent the springs), driven hundreds of miles in 4wd through blizzards and drifts, it could quit and I wouldn't fault it, I don't baby anything, this one has been used and abused, it will last forever. 22 mpg, 65 MPH lightly loaded. 13 MPG, 75 mph, heavy load.

Favorite Features

4wd, tow pack, styling,ergonomics, and that marvelous 318

Suggested Improvements

quieter blower