Used 1998 Dodge Durango Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Adored this car
By AEpixie7

1998 Dodge Durango 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents purchased this car when I was in middle school, and passed it down to me as my first car. We live in an area of heavy snow at times, and I swear this car has gotten me through 2 to 3 foot snow drifts without a problem. It now has 210,000 miles on it, has been in 2 wrecks, but it still runs EXTREMELY well. Very reliable and great in extreme weather. I will sincerely miss it when the time comes.

Favorite Features

High ground clearance in the snow, great on wet or dirt roads, reliable, and very stylish, compared to other SUVs. Also, great interior options and sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously, with any large SUV, fuel economy is a problem. However, a lot of large SUVs these days require premium, and the Durango has always run well on midgrade.

Ball joint blues
By Ball joint blues

1998 Dodge Durango 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Durango used, had it checked out by my mechanic and then took it on a long trip. (OK, I know, that was dumb). When I went to get the alignment done, they said they couldn't do it because of bad ball joints. It was covered under warranty AND so was the next set 10K miles later. Last summer I had to replace the ball joints again. It has a nice inside but my power windows gave out around 130k miles. I drove it to 202K miles and the 4WD has gone out. I kept very good maintenance on it but stuff has just starting going. The front bumper is rusting.

Favorite Features

How the seats fold down. This was huge in 1998. The leather seats are comfortable but it is LOUD inside.

Suggested Improvements

Ball joints. Gas mileage.

Best SUV
By Rob

1998 Dodge Durango 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned three Dodge Durangos and they have always been dependable and fun to drive. My 98 Durango has 237,000 miles on it. I do not plan on getting rid of it any time soon. I own a 2008 Dodge Durango also and love both of them.

Favorite Features

Power, comfort and looks.

gas guzzler
By kyle c

1998 Dodge Durango 4dr SUV 4WD

it was ok, until the breaks squeaked after 3 weeks. but the gas is ridiculous. i dont go far without visiting a gas station so if u want to save money dont buy this car.

Suggested Improvements

better gas, better breaks.

By far the best vehicle I have ever owned
By Sandy Sherman

1998 Dodge Durango 4dr SUV 4WD

We have a 1998 Dodge Durango and it is by far the best vehicle we have ever owned. It fits the whole family comfortably and best of all, we have not had one thing wrong with it. We love our Durango.

Favorite Features

Leather, seating for 7, sound system, stylish

Suggested Improvements

The one thing I would change would be to get better gas mileage..