1991 Dodge Daytona 2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - wish I could keep it

1991 Dodge Daytona - Consumer Review

1991 Dodge Daytona ES 2dr Hatchback

wish I could keep it
By tj in VA on

1991 Dodge Daytona ES 2dr Hatchback

Fairly reliable, sporty looks, good handling, looks great with ES ground effects, looks stupid without them! I retired this car at 175K, since I now have a wife and baby daughter, and the backseat (what backseat?) is too small, and the car sits too low to the ground for my wife. Otherwise, it still runs great! Although My ES doesn't have the Overdrive Automatic(a historical trouble spot), the 3 speed auto transmission did die at 120K. I have the same trans in a '96 Voyager and, at 107K, it's starting to hiccup in the same manner. just be sure you expect a trans problem. I haven't had any problems with the 2.5L 4 cyl, except for injector/throttle cleaning and an EGR valve.

Favorite Features

handling, gas mileage, style, easy to maintain and repair. Cheap to repair. Really good crash test rating (but it would be sad to wreck it) The 2.5L auto is strong enough in this size car, and fairly quick, given that it is a 4cyl.

Suggested Improvements

the car isn't made anymore, but I hear chrysler still can't make a transmission last over 120K.... That is sad.