1990 Dodge Daytona Consumer Review: 20 years old and still starts

1990 Dodge Daytona - Consumer Review

Shelby 2dr Hatchback (2.2L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

20 years old and still starts right up
By George on

1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby Turbo 2dr Hatchback

A 5-start safety rating - without airbags! When younger, my Daytona was scary-fast, stock. Unstoppable in snow, and still starts right up, whether it's -40 or +40 (Celsius). Needed some repairs over the years, but what a trooper this car is. As for handling, this car goes wherever you point it - it's amazing how this car takes corners: with NO body roll, this car saves you when you take corners too fast. Together with the turbo (which has never died on me), this car's performance and handling make it capable of handling almost ANYTHING. I'm sorry mine's getting old - they don't make parts for it anymore, and even the junk yards don't have them. My first car, and best car I ever drove.

Handling: Pull the steering wheel. The Daytona will go, no body roll, no complaints, no hesitation. Any corner. Very safe. Also, the hatchback on this car can accommodate a couch! I've moved couches with this car. TONS of cargo space. Got up to 40 mpg on the highway once - no lie! Very cheap on gas.

Bring back these old cars that were made solid and last 20 years. Bring back and improve the 2.2L turbo engine, which is economical and strong. Add more courtesy lighting, and improve door hinges which sag over time. Add cup holders, seat-back pockets and map lights in back seat.