Used 1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby - Consumer Reviews

Shelby 2.2L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (5 reviews )

1987 daytona shelby z
By turbododge2

1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby Shelby Turbo 2dr Hatchback

My 1987 shelby z is 24 years old. i bought it brand new in sept. 87. it has 76.000 hard driven miles on it and has never let me down. by hard i mean i raced it at englishtown nj for four years and alot of racing in north jersey. and the drive train is all original except the clutch. this car is way fun to drive and VERY FAST with a few simple mods. the 2.2 intercooled turbo is a great bullitt proof motor and way underrated by ford and gm guys. if you are lucky enough to find an 87 in decent shape buy it! the 87 motor has the 2 piece intake manifold. the 88 and up have the one piece cast manifold.

great looking/dependable/handles awesome/ excellent drive train/t-tops/power seats/stock infinity stereo with six speakers amp and equilizer/black paint with burgundy velour interior. will smoke other makes of cars that cost way more and have bigger engines!

better interior quality but who really cares when driving this car is so much fun!!!!!!!!!

turbo dodges rule!
By shelby steve

1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby Shelby Turbo 2dr Hatchback

i bought my 87 daytona shelby z brand new and have loved it ever since i have driven this car very hard and have never had a mechanical problem i raced this car at the mopar atlantic nationals at e-town in n.j. since 1991 the car handles awesome and is great to cruise in during the summer with the t tops off after 21 years of ownership i thought i would never get rid of this car but i recently gave it to my son for his 18th birthday so he and his future wife can enjoy it as much as is mother and i have

indestructible intercooled 2.2 motor excellent handling t tops and the fact that it blows away a lot of so called big block muscle cars!

plastic interior pieces needed to be better installed but who cares when the car is so damn fun to drive!

20 years old and still starts right up
By George

1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby Shelby Turbo 2dr Hatchback

A 5-start safety rating - without airbags! When younger, my Daytona was scary-fast, stock. Unstoppable in snow, and still starts right up, whether it's -40 or +40 (Celsius). Needed some repairs over the years, but what a trooper this car is. As for handling, this car goes wherever you point it - it's amazing how this car takes corners: with NO body roll, this car saves you when you take corners too fast. Together with the turbo (which has never died on me), this car's performance and handling make it capable of handling almost ANYTHING. I'm sorry mine's getting old - they don't make parts for it anymore, and even the junk yards don't have them. My first car, and best car I ever drove.

Handling: Pull the steering wheel. The Daytona will go, no body roll, no complaints, no hesitation. Any corner. Very safe. Also, the hatchback on this car can accommodate a couch! I've moved couches with this car. TONS of cargo space. Got up to 40 mpg on the highway once - no lie! Very cheap on gas.

Bring back these old cars that were made solid and last 20 years. Bring back and improve the 2.2L turbo engine, which is economical and strong. Add more courtesy lighting, and improve door hinges which sag over time. Add cup holders, seat-back pockets and map lights in back seat.

Turbo Shelby's Live Forever!
By Ernest Laird

1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby Shelby Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Mine is actualy an 87' Shelby Z, but similar enough to the 90'. I found the car with on ly 71k pampered miles on it, garage kept, in near perfect condition. I conduct all the regular service and repairs on it myself, except alignments, This is my thrid Dodge/Plymouth of this type, early 90's FWD, and all of them have been an incredible joy to drive, given me verry verry few problems, and the few they gave I was able to fix myself easily and at minimal cost. These cars are incredibly fun to drive every day and have a devoted following of verry inteligent and helpful owners. I hope to drive a car like this for the rest of my life, fun, fast and beautiful.

Tubocharged Intercooled 2.2L SOHC 8V I4 Engine creating a whopping 174hp and 225ft/lbs of tq. Heavy Duty Getrag of Germany designed and build 5 Speed Manual transmission. Easy to work on and maintain. Lots of high performance parts avalible. Smoking Civics who never see it coming.

Few if any, perform regular maintinence and take good care of them and they will run forever.

I love Dodge daytonas
By Bryan Shumway

1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby Shelby Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Lots of power good reliable need nicer interior on 89 but 90-93 is one of the best interiors ever in a car. Ih has a good amount of power over my blue 90 3.0 v6

Turbo, trip navigator, sunroof,turbo gauge

Nice cutom paint job like i have black silver with purple pearl on the silver in the front airdam rear bumper, spoiler, and side skirts, nice exuast and lots od driving time