Used 1990 Dodge Daytona ES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Dodge Daytona - Consumer Reviews

1990 Dodge Daytona

View reviews for a specific Daytona model:

OMG Automatic
By Hunter

1990 Dodge Daytona ES 2dr Hatchback

This car has been very good to me other then the usual replacements on a used car with 160,000 miles. But I happened to get the automatic, which lets just say all should stay away from, because once one thing goes, it all goes as I found out. The speed stinks. It takes about 1/4-3/8 of a mile to get to 55mph. All the engine and transmission gaskets are leaking, the floor pans are all gone under both passenger and drivers feet, and the supports through the floor pans are broke and about gone.

Favorite Features

Great for fast turns. Got to love the hatchback. MPG, looks, and part availabilities.

Suggested Improvements

The under body. Tthe access when replacing rear shocks. No automatics. The lengths of hoses like the radiator hose is way too long. The wiring has too many cross feeds.

FLAME
By deaconwise1

1990 Dodge Daytona ES 2dr Hatchback

I brought this car for $300.00. It was sitting in a yard. I was told the the engine caught on fire a year earlier. It was sitting since that time. Three of the six spark plug wires were burnt off. But when I try to start it, It turn over on the first crank. But I turn it off quickly. I brought new plugs and wires. Start it again, she purr. Drove it home. Got it tune, oil change, air filter and put new tires on it. I have done little to it. Needed valve cover gaskets. The car runs great. No other problems with it. I drive it to work and all over town. It still turns heads. Body is in good shape. Next a paint job. by the way it eat any 4cyl. car out there. Great on gas!!

Favorite Features

I love the way it sounds. Can't believe it's only 141hp. It gets rubber in the first three gears. Great car for 6cyls. I'm still amazed that I found such a great car for what I paid for her. I had many offers to sell. NO WAY!

Suggested Improvements

I would to put an turbo charger on it. But I think none was made for the 3.0 If so let me know. Trying to find some sort of way to boost her HP. She has a little wear inside and out, but the engine is not only sound but fast. Looking to buy another one. But I know not for $300.00 She one of a kind!!

Awesome car
By Eric

1990 Dodge Daytona ES 2dr Hatchback

Greatest car I have ever driven. I bought it with a minor idle problem and thats all, I had to clean out a "vent" in the oil pan. Very reliable. There are a lot of people who have gotten 200,000+ miles out of the V6 :). It spent two weeks parked outside during a -20 weather spell and turned over once or twice before it started. It also handles beautifully and accellerates quite well. You may have a bit of trouble finding body kits, engine mods, etc., but they are out there. The interior is great too, as long as you don't look at the rear seats. The front seats have plenty of leg room as long as you don't have anyone sitting in the rear. They really could have just taken the rear seats out..

Favorite Features

The way it smokes any car I've raced on winding roads. It will also do 140 after a purchase price of $900 and a few repairs and mods of ~$100.

Suggested Improvements

Don't get the automatic, I've heard a lot of bad things about the durability of them.

Don't Believe Consumer Reports!
By regar

1990 Dodge Daytona ES 2dr Hatchback

I ordered this car new from the dealer with every option available. The most reliable car I have ever owned. I have the 5-speed so there have been no transmission problems. I ordered it with the V6 so there was no turbo to burn out. The engine performs well and shows no sign of quitting. Excellent "snow car" for our Northeastern winters. Forget "initial quality" assesments; this car was made to last.

Favorite Features

V6 and 5-speed manual make a good- performing and reliable combination.

my NIGHTMARE
By Autokill

1990 Dodge Daytona ES 2dr Hatchback

mine was an 88 and i bought it for $1000..with 150000miles....and in 8 monthes the engine went, transmition, two clutches (b/c a bolt snaped that held the one on), flywheel, drive axels, my sub fram rotted out, and on the highway the frame broke and the wheel went flying out the side of my car...held on only by the axle, carb was toast, and the heads were gummed up, so i was getting about 4MPG..this car was horrible, and i could never rely on it...it was heavy and clunky, and i will never but a chrysler again.

Favorite Features

the car looked good, especially the purple i had.

Suggested Improvements

everything....