1990 Dodge Daytona - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Daytona model:
1987 daytona shelby z
By turbododge2 on 02/22/11 17:13 PM (PST)

1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby Turbo 2dr Hatchback

My 1987 shelby z is 24 years old. i bought it brand new in sept. 87. it has 76.000 hard driven miles on it and has never let me down. by hard i mean i raced it at englishtown nj for four years and alot of racing in north jersey. and the drive train is all original except the clutch. this car is way fun to drive and VERY FAST with a few simple mods. the 2.2 intercooled turbo is a great bullitt proof motor and way underrated by ford and gm guys. if you are lucky enough to find an 87 in decent shape buy it! the 87 motor has the 2 piece intake manifold. the 88 and up have the one piece cast manifold.

turbo dodges rule!
By shelby steve on 10/02/08 06:49 AM (PDT)

1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby Turbo 2dr Hatchback

i bought my 87 daytona shelby z brand new and have loved it ever since i have driven this car very hard and have never had a mechanical problem i raced this car at the mopar atlantic nationals at e-town in n.j. since 1991 the car handles awesome and is great to cruise in during the summer with the t tops off after 21 years of ownership i thought i would never get rid of this car but i recently gave it to my son for his 18th birthday so he and his future wife can enjoy it as much as is mother and i have

20 years old and still starts right up
By George on 05/11/08 08:04 AM (PDT)

1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby Turbo 2dr Hatchback

A 5-start safety rating - without airbags! When younger, my Daytona was scary-fast, stock. Unstoppable in snow, and still starts right up, whether it's -40 or +40 (Celsius). Needed some repairs over the years, but what a trooper this car is. As for handling, this car goes wherever you point it - it's amazing how this car takes corners: with NO body roll, this car saves you when you take corners too fast. Together with the turbo (which has never died on me), this car's performance and handling make it capable of handling almost ANYTHING. I'm sorry mine's getting old - they don't make parts for it anymore, and even the junk yards don't have them. My first car, and best car I ever drove.

OMG Automatic
By Hunter on 09/14/06 23:03 PM (PDT)

1990 Dodge Daytona ES 2dr Hatchback

This car has been very good to me other then the usual replacements on a used car with 160,000 miles. But I happened to get the automatic, which lets just say all should stay away from, because once one thing goes, it all goes as I found out. The speed stinks. It takes about 1/4-3/8 of a mile to get to 55mph. All the engine and transmission gaskets are leaking, the floor pans are all gone under both passenger and drivers feet, and the supports through the floor pans are broke and about gone.

FLAME
By deaconwise1 on 05/14/06 06:01 AM (PDT)

1990 Dodge Daytona ES 2dr Hatchback

I brought this car for $300.00. It was sitting in a yard. I was told the the engine caught on fire a year earlier. It was sitting since that time. Three of the six spark plug wires were burnt off. But when I try to start it, It turn over on the first crank. But I turn it off quickly. I brought new plugs and wires. Start it again, she purr. Drove it home. Got it tune, oil change, air filter and put new tires on it. I have done little to it. Needed valve cover gaskets. The car runs great. No other problems with it. I drive it to work and all over town. It still turns heads. Body is in good shape. Next a paint job. by the way it eat any 4cyl. car out there. Great on gas!!

Great Car
By Matt on 01/25/06 22:57 PM (PST)

1990 Dodge Daytona ES Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Since I have owned my 1990 Dodge Daytona she has been very reliable,fun and turns heads everywhere I drive.You have to really appreciate American made cars especially the Chrysler Corporation.

Awesome car
By Eric on 02/01/05 20:31 PM (PST)

1990 Dodge Daytona ES 2dr Hatchback

Greatest car I have ever driven. I bought it with a minor idle problem and thats all, I had to clean out a "vent" in the oil pan. Very reliable. There are a lot of people who have gotten 200,000+ miles out of the V6 :). It spent two weeks parked outside during a -20 weather spell and turned over once or twice before it started. It also handles beautifully and accellerates quite well. You may have a bit of trouble finding body kits, engine mods, etc., but they are out there. The interior is great too, as long as you don't look at the rear seats. The front seats have plenty of leg room as long as you don't have anyone sitting in the rear. They really could have just taken the rear seats out..

Turbo Shelby's Live Forever!
By Ernest Laird on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Mine is actualy an 87' Shelby Z, but similar enough to the 90'. I found the car with on ly 71k pampered miles on it, garage kept, in near perfect condition. I conduct all the regular service and repairs on it myself, except alignments, This is my thrid Dodge/Plymouth of this type, early 90's FWD, and all of them have been an incredible joy to drive, given me verry verry few problems, and the few they gave I was able to fix myself easily and at minimal cost. These cars are incredibly fun to drive every day and have a devoted following of verry inteligent and helpful owners. I hope to drive a car like this for the rest of my life, fun, fast and beautiful.

Don't Believe Consumer Reports!
By regar on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Dodge Daytona ES 2dr Hatchback

I ordered this car new from the dealer with every option available. The most reliable car I have ever owned. I have the 5-speed so there have been no transmission problems. I ordered it with the V6 so there was no turbo to burn out. The engine performs well and shows no sign of quitting. Excellent "snow car" for our Northeastern winters. Forget "initial quality" assesments; this car was made to last.

Still fast after all these years!
By WTtech2 on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Dodge Daytona ES Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Fun to drive. A real value for the money. Still stylish after 14 yrs. At the track, this car did the 1/4 mile in 12.97 seconds @ 107.31 MPH!