2015 Dodge Dart Sedan Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Dodge Dart Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dart model:

Buying this car is like rolling the dice!
By Very concerned father

2015 Dodge Dart Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I am writing this on behalf of my son who just bought a new Dodge Dart. He has owned it for 3 months and it has been in 2 Dodge dealerships service departments for approximately 2 of the 3 months. The engine will randomly shut off while in motion. I could not believe this until I googled the problem and read several of the online blogs. There are numerous Dart owners who's engine just shuts off. When the car gets low on oil the engine shuts off, except the engine has plenty of oil. Is it an electrical problem? NO ONE KNOWS!!!

Do not buy this car!!! I am going to help my son get rid of this car. Someone is going to get killed!

Recently rented this car for two weeks
By Rhonda Z

2015 Dodge Dart Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I rented this car for two weeks. I thought the seats were very comfortable, and it was easy to get in and out of the car. Overall I was quite impressed with the car. It was spacious, the trunk held all of my and my daughter's luggage with room to spare. And our luggage tests the limits of the checked and carry-on dimensions. The controls were simple and easy to figure out, the mirrors were easily adjustable, and the ride was smooth. The car was not afraid to go very fast on the highway. I was shocked to see how fast I was going (over 100) at one point because it was gliding over the road so smoothly. I had to set the cruise control to keep myself in check. The only negative things I can say is that it is slow to respond if you want to rapidly increase your speed. But for a four cylinder it is more than acceptable. And the car has such a low clearance that it kept scraping on the pavement. I live in the Rockies and no matter how slow I entered and exited my driveway, it scraped. And no matter how slow I creeped through intersections in neighborhoods, it scraped.

Solid Car with Alpha DNA
By Russ Furchner

2015 Dodge Dart Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

In the sea of compact sedans, the Dart GT stands out. It's very nice to look at, definitely not your cookie-cutter import. I honestly don't understand the criticism of the car in general. The car never feels under powered, the shifts are crisp and positive. The handling and brakes are very good for a front wheel drive car. My only complaint was the OEM tires which were overly harsh and really a poor match for this chassis. Once replaced, you now have a firm riding, quite and comfortable car, but not harsh or jarring. What you have is a quick, sharp and fun drive that is inexpensive to own and operate. Good value for money.

Some redeeming features but think twice
By Dave in OH

2015 Dodge Dart Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Got a chance to rent one of these, and since my daughter will be looking for something used soonish for a first car, I thought why not try it? Nut shell summary -some stand out features, but would not buy or rent again. Cars should be made to be driven as job 1, not just looked at or sat in.

The good? Appearance was nice in my eyes. And, the interior was not low rent by any means. Soft touch material and mostly decent switch gear feel? Check. Logical control layout? Check. Seats were okay, but not great. Still, given the price point? Color me impressed. A few quirks to note here which kept the rating being higher in these areas. 1) Front seats needs to go lower. While I can fit... I have to recline the seat and doing so blocks the speedometer. So I can either fit comfortably, or not see my speedometer between 50 and maybe around 80. Tilting/telescoping wheel hopefully is an option, so check if you are a all torso kind of guy like me. 2) Glare off gauge panel. Given the rest of the interior quality, the lack of a (more?) reduced glare gauge cluster covering seems a noticeable omission. Not 'can't read it' bad, but still quite annoying when the light glare hits it.

And, the mostly not so good. With the exception of steering, which really does hit the mark for this sort of car, driving dynamics were pretty bad. So the steering first. Somewhat lose on center but with good, but not too much road feel. Tracks well, not too much effort at any speed. Pretty much exactly what the doctor order for daily driver sort of car and maybe more.

However, the engine was buzzy and lacked any ommph over 45 for the first few days Had to hammer it to even get up to passing speed in any reasonable time. After a few days the TCU and engine eventually 'learned' that when I applied gas I truly madly deeply did want it at least _try_ to move faster than a dodering great grandma. Still even then, it remained rather poor, but at least not almost dangerously so, as was my experience the first few days with it.

Engine noise and vibration were a constant unwelcome companion, especially at idle. Even the dash liner would visibly vibrate at times. If Dodge had not put so much effort into the interior it would have been buzzing like my old '78 Malibu did when it was cold. This is the lowest level of NVH refinement of any other car I have driven or ridden in in the last decade, or possibly two, which is quite a few cars from all price points.

Brakes may have had a warping issue on this car so read as such, and not as directly critical of the car model. The rears gave a distinctive 'whrrr whhrr' when backing down my driveway. I had to stop quickly once, and they actually clunked and the car lurched a bit while stopping fast. I assume this is not normal for a Dart, and did let the rental agency know. I would however worry about a car that did have brake issues as early as this, even for a rental. My adivce? Try some emergency stops and braking while backing down a hill to be sure if you are test driving one.

Suspension. On smooth even pavement it was fine, and even a good ride. However, anything else gave varying degrees of jittery and busy. Absolutely no confidence in trying anything beyond '20% pushing it' in this car. Given the brakes, and lack of oomph, that was probably for the better. Still a suspension should not communicate that it wants to take the car in all sorts of directions you are not steering in on anything but good pavement. If you live in an area of crappy roads like I do, make sure to try it out first and see for yourself if it suits. Fairly obviously, I have no idea if it corners fairly flat / has body roll, was not even tempted to try it.

In short? VW, Mazda, Ford, Nissan, Honda, Subaru, Hyundai, GM... All seem to have better cars in this price range/category from a driving perspective.

A quick, sturdy, wonderful car
By Phil Perkins

2015 Dodge Dart Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I recently purchased my 2015 Dodge Dart GT as a replacement for my old commuter, a 2006 Mazda6. So far, I have not regretted it in the slightest; it is an upgrade in almost every way.

As a 6'7", 250lb man coming from a mid-size sedan, the switch to a compact had me worried. I am the kind of person to do as much research as possible before a purchase like this, but for my particular circumstances there is really no alternative to actually going to the dealership and test driving the car. I am pleased to report that this is the first sedan I have ever been able to sit completely upright in, without hitting my head on anything. My particular vehicle was purchased in 2016, but as a 2015 model I had to take what I could get since I was shopping for a manual, and this car just happened to have a sunroof. That only adds to my headroom, and the cut-out from the room (even with the sunroof closed) adds an extra inch or two for those 'even-extra' extra headroom needing people. As far as legroom, I positioned my chair in a comfortable driving position, then moved to the backseat, and was able to fit behind myself! In a Compact Sedan! If you are a large person, you will understand how impressive this is. Headroom is a bit tight in the rear seats, but the legroom truely impressed me.

My personal needs aside, this is a fantastic car. The 2.4 engine in the GT and SXT is extremely competetive for this size car, and with many other larger cars as well. It is a somewhat heavy compact, but the GT holds its weight well. It corners -very- flat, and can pull out of corners with almost no back end feedback. If you're in for a more leasurely roll down the country roads, the GT suspension may be a little more stiff than people are used to, but it is hardly the toughest I've driven. The clutch is smooth and responsive, and if you can aptly shift inside the power band, it will have no trouble finding and keeping revs with you.

In my opinion, the interior is the best in the class. For under 20k, You have leather everywhere. Seats, Steering wheel, Console, everything is well built and has no wiggle or give. The doors close solidly and you feel extremely safe inside the cabin. Visibility is high, even from my vantage point at the ceiling, and backing up is a smooth breeze (even without the backup camera). I feel that interiors are an extremely personal opinion kind of thing, but that is mine.

After a lot of research with engines, and considering I was restricting myself to a manual transmission, I test drove a Mazda3, Chevy Cruze, and this Dodge Dart. There was little feeling of competition. I have been through many brands of cars in my (relatively short) life. This car is so good that I feel like I may turn into a Dodge man.