2008 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Great Truck
By builder04 on 12/26/08 10:02 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Dakota BigHorn 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd truck in 5 years, and I must say my favorite. I bought the v6 because I drive so much and its better on gas. Love the looks of this truck, and the interior is like a luxury car. Never liked the exterior of the Dakota till the 08 came out. They are giving 08's away, mine was 10k off MSRP. The quad cab is very roomy, drives and handles way better than my 06 Titan. This is the top of the small truck class. I looked at and test drove a Canyon Z71 and a Nismo Frontier, and I was surprised that I liked The Dakota so much better.

Great Value and Rebates
By Great Value on 11/22/08 04:16 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Dakota Sport 4dr Crew Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I was in the market for a pick-up and researched for a year. Settled on the Dodge Dakota with V8. I like the size and power. Meets my needs for a vehicle that supports my fly fishing, weekend camping, towing small trailer. I bought for Sport Crew Cab with V8 for $26,800, freight and tax included. Sticker was close to $34K. Bought at $1000 under invoice, plus Dodge is offering factory $5000 rebate on 08 Crew Cabs.

Dakota truck
By Dale on 11/20/08 20:41 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Dakota Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Having done the research for a bigger engine to pull with, I decided on the SLT, V8, 4WD with 4 doors. Like the new design for exterior, and upsized engine. Lots of power, and average MPG is around 17.5 with the auto. transmission. First thing I noticed was trailer lights not working properly. A computer glich. This turned out to be a small recall. The truck came with a trailer harness when purchased. Now the blower motor quit and the interior lights. A wiring cluster behind the dash for the odometer has my HVAC wiring running through it. Why would they run a 40 amp fan through this? I've been driving Toyotas since 1983. Considering going back to Toyota before my warranty expires.

Outstanding!
By REDNECKKID11 on 09/03/08 15:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Just bought my Dakota. Love it! I Love the off-road capability, the looks, style. Even it's 3.7 L v6 performs great in towing, off-roading, etc.

Luv the new Dakota
By Phil in the Burbs on 08/01/08 08:37 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Dakota Laramie 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Just picked up my 08 Dakota. Turned in a Ram for this little beauty. Very impressed with the looks, interior, and drive-ability of this truck. This is a very capable truck in a smaller package. Very easy for the wife to maneuver in traffic. Vehicle fit and finish is excellent. Better on gas than my old Hemi. Interior is very quite and the upgraded stereo is very crisp and clear. Really like the Sirius radio option. Had an issue finding room to store all my gear from the Ram. Solved by mounting on of the collapse-able bins from interior to the truck bed with sheet metal screws.

Muscle truck
By Jason on 06/25/08 03:18 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Dakota Sport 4dr Extended Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Originally was going to get the 07 at the end of the year. But after hearing about the new V8 I waited. I was not disappointed, power is very good. MPG could be better but is OK at about 16.5 average. I like all the storage, but dash looks and feels like cheap hard plastic. Cab has a lot of wind noise, but with stereo on it is not noticeable. Ride is stiff and bouncy, very noticeable while going around a turn with bumps, feels like the back end is going to lose traction. I have the Sport and it should have been set up to look sportier like the Colorado with a lowered stance. Front seat only holds 2 people while my older model holds 3, 3 would be better. Stock rear tinted windows are dark.

Does It All
By doug on 06/18/08 12:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Dakota Laramie 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My truck is actually a Sport w/V-8, crew cab. This is my 3rd Dakota. So far, my favorite. It's red, fast, looks sporty, handles great, rides good, doors open wide, seats firm and supportive, tows, looks good anywhere, best warranty of anyone. Traded down from full-size Chevy. Like this better. Easier to get in and out of and wife likes the size. Mileage is 21-24 on highway driving sensibly. City is lower of course. Acceleration is matched by nothing else is its' class. Brakes and transmission work flawlessly. When you turn on your truck, does it return the favor? Mine does!

Nice size truck
By Gerard on 05/20/08 07:29 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Dakota Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Did some research on this truck and the ratings I read are true. My mpg on highway at 71 mph at 65 degrees, little wind, is around 19 mpg the truck had 65 miles on it. The V8 has some good power. Got the Laramie package with the trailer tow package. Truck pulls 3000 lbs real good. Love the black metal flake paint with the chrome front end looks like a Harley truck. Truck gets a lot of looks, Dodge did a good job on redesigning the front clip. Ride is pretty good for a pickup truck.

Outstanding build quality
By Tom Cebula on 02/13/08 15:45 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Dakota Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After having a Honda, and a Toyota, I find my new Dakota to be their equal in terms of build quality. In fact I drove a Ridgeline, and a Tacoma on the same day I drove the Dakota, and the Dakota blew them away in terms of quietness and ride quality. The 08 interior is an upgrade from the previous year. I have the V8 which I need for towing, and so far MPG is not the greatest (14 around town,18 HWY) but it should improve once it breaks in and the weather gets warmer. The new engine has a lot of guts and will serve my needs very well. So far I love my truck

Best Truck for the money
By usafblt on 01/05/08 22:09 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Dakota Sport 4dr Crew Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I looked at all th mid/small pickups. My father-in-law owns a Colorado. I have driven many of my friends' pickups and none compare to the Dakota. Better ride and definitely more fun to drive. The new redesigned suspension is a bit stiff, giving it a tighter feel, but it is still better than the Nissan, Chevy, and the Ford. The Toyota rides a little better, but the Dakota, even with the V-6 Auto has better passing ability. Gas mileage is OK, I am getting about 22-23 MPG in mixed driving. Overall, I am very pleased I chose this truck and I look forward to many years of enjoy my time behind the wheel.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Dodge Dakota in VA is:

$109 per month*