2008 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Great Concept. Bad build. Too heavy and sluggish.
By nclemons1985 on 02/26/14 00:24 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I Loved Dakotas. I owned a 94 4WD 3.9L V6 Dakota. Really fun to drive. Great size. In 2004 I purchased a 2000 4.7L V8 4WD Dakota. I recently sold it with 170,000 miles. It still ran great. My favorite year for Dakotas. Last year I purchased a 2008 4WD Dakota with the 4.7L. I traded it in 4 months later for a new RAM. They upgraded the 4.7L to 302 hp yet it is slower than my 00 Dakota. The 08 is to heavy. Defeats the purpose of mid size or small size truck. The ground clearance is too low. The 4WD is stiff; in addition the turning radius in 4WD is as bad as I have ever experienced in a truck. The truck is almost unbearable to drive off road. The suspension is too weak to carry the weight

Update to previous rating
By Dale on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Since last review with wiring problems, I've had my Dakota on two out of state trips, and pull a 2800 lb. boat and trlr. fishing. I now trust my truck. I'll do 72 on highway pulling boat with a/c on. May turn off air on big hills. I can get 19mpg when using cruise, which surprised me since I have a steady foot. Plan on getting 265 tires, from the 245 stocked next spring if it's no issue. I also plan on getting another warranty, I have lifetime drivetrain, but will research because know how business can be. They'd rather tell you to sue, it's about money. Don't know any other truck that will fit in garage, with the power, Toyota can't be trusted now. Waiting for wagon etc. with power, mileage.

Break downs
By MD on 02/02/10 14:30 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SXT 4dr Crew Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Like my 2008 Dodge, Several time turn in for minor thing while under warr. Radio clock doesn't work, been reset about 6 times, gave up on turning it in to get fixed. Got 37,400 miles on it and rack and pinon when out along with power steering pump, $1,740 to fix it. Gas mileage average 16 to 18 on open highway, 3.7 6 cyl. with no load, pulling small boat, around 1,350 pounds, about 12 to 14 miles a gallon. Power on 3.7 is low, will not stay in overdrive going up small hills. Second Dodge Dakota I own. Warr should be better, keep oil change and maintenance back the book, if you go over 60 miles pass oil change, warr. is void. Turn mine in and had 12 miles before void warr.

nightmare
By paul on 01/21/10 17:32 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab TRX 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

my 2004 was way better.this was nothing but problems since the day I bought it.awesome look,great power and roomy.thats all.many numerous factory tsb's and defects.mechanically and cosmetically.too many problems,that a rep was sent in.they didn't do anything,and wanted me to file suit against them.BEWARE.traded it in less than a year of having it,with only 9000 miles.nice looking,but I was also stuck with a brand new lemon with numerous,numerous problems.please stay away.factory tires are junk also.

2nd dakota
By bluedak on 12/18/09 06:10 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this 08 crew cab to replace my 01 ext. Cab due to growing family. I loved my 01, and this one is starting to grow on me. The new 4.7 has much more power than the prior version. I have 28k on the truck, and no mechanical problems yet. I guess my 2 gripes with the 08 are the interior feels a little cheap (few rattles from arm rest and more plasticky overall than my 01). And the 05 to current dakotas sit too low to the ground, esp. Compared to Tacoma and frontier. But I like it overall and would buy my 3rd Dakota in the future. Mpg 16-17 in mixed driving, similar to my 01 4.7, except with about 70 more hp.

Lots of Power
By Hoodoo74 on 11/18/09 21:56 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SXT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck in January 2009 just before Chrysler went under. Like many truck guys I'm very brand loyal for better or worse. This is the third Dakota that I've owned and I've always liked the mid-size handling and the available V8 power. In those areas, the truck doesn't disappoint - acceleration and handling are impressive. The new V8 and the 5 speed automatic seem well suited to each other. The interior, like all past Dakotas, seems to be cheaply made though I've never had anything break off or not work. Maybe it's just me but the optional heated bucket seats are like riding on a piece of 2x12 - next to no cushion at all which is a pain in the butt (literally) on long trips.

Transmision and Fan problems
By Charles on 11/04/09 13:13 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

The first night I owned the vehicle I started it and the Variable Speed Fan was locked up. It roared like an 18 wheeler. Then came the transmission problem. When coming to a stop, at 25 MPH the transmission dropped into low gear and jolted the whole vehicle. Many trips to dealer never resolved these problems. Tech says fan problem is normal!!! I got rid of it at 28,900 miles. The decision was made solely due to the problems with the vehicle.

Best overall mid-sized truck.
By Nice Truck on 01/25/09 17:58 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I wanted a truck that wasn't too big, but had enough grunt to work. Love the space the crew cab gives, wish the bed was about 1' longer. 4.7 V-8 is a great engine in search of a decent transmission. Very slow to down shift, yet won't up-shift in parking lots. 4X4 knob is in a poor location. Ride is a bit too stiff--the 07 was too soft. Handling is terrific for a truck, but I would trade a bit of handling for a less stiff ride. So far 14 mpg city 21 mpg highway, pretty decent for a 300+ HP V-8 4X4. Overall head and shoulders above the Ranger and Colorado, better looking than Toyota and Nissan. Best mid-sized truck out there

Great truck
By Tom on 01/03/09 08:28 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab Laramie 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I reseached this purchase before spending $27K, and nothing compared to the value received in the Dakota. Oh yes, all the magazines love Toyota and Nissan, however, these same magazines receive a heck of a lot more incentives from these manufacturers for the positive take. This Dodge is every bit as good, more powerful, more capable and better looking. Take advantage of all the incentives, compare, and you'll come to the same conclusion---Buy it! You won't be sorry.

Great Truck
By builder04 on 12/26/08 10:02 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab BigHorn 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd truck in 5 years, and I must say my favorite. I bought the v6 because I drive so much and its better on gas. Love the looks of this truck, and the interior is like a luxury car. Never liked the exterior of the Dakota till the 08 came out. They are giving 08's away, mine was 10k off MSRP. The quad cab is very roomy, drives and handles way better than my 06 Titan. This is the top of the small truck class. I looked at and test drove a Canyon Z71 and a Nismo Frontier, and I was surprised that I liked The Dakota so much better.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.