Used 2008 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Most Helpful|
Great Concept. Bad build. Too heavy and sluggish.
By nclemons1985

2008 Dodge Dakota Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I Loved Dakotas. I owned a 94 4WD 3.9L V6 Dakota. Really fun to drive. Great size. In 2004 I purchased a 2000 4.7L V8 4WD Dakota. I recently sold it with 170,000 miles. It still ran great. My favorite year for Dakotas. Last year I purchased a 2008 4WD Dakota with the 4.7L. I traded it in 4 months later for a new RAM. They upgraded the 4.7L to 302 hp yet it is slower than my 00 Dakota. The 08 is to heavy. Defeats the purpose of mid size or small size truck. The ground clearance is too low. The 4WD is stiff; in addition the turning radius in 4WD is as bad as I have ever experienced in a truck. The truck is almost unbearable to drive off road. The suspension is too weak to carry the weight

Favorite Features

The truck looks nice. The exterior is slick. I also appreciated the interior of the truck. A lot of room in the Crew Cab. Overall the looks of the truck inside and out were good. The 4.7L is a amazing motor. It is my second one. They will run for a long time and produce alot of power for that size engine. However it is not enough for a truck as heavy as the 2008 Crew Cab Dakota.

Suggested Improvements

Since the Dakota has been discontinued suggestions, and improvements are pointless. However I loved the concept of a V8 in smaller trucks. I do not enjoy the weight of the 08 Dakota however. Made it sluggish. The 4WD needs improvement. My suggestion for buyers that have already purchased a 08 or newer Dakota is trade it in for a new Ram. It is twice the truck with better gas mileage and equal price. If Dodge decides to make another small or mid size truck I would suggest taking lessons from the 2000-2004 Models. They were the perfect truck.

nightmare
By paul

2008 Dodge Dakota TRX 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

my 2004 was way better.this was nothing but problems since the day I bought it.awesome look,great power and roomy.thats all.many numerous factory tsb's and defects.mechanically and cosmetically.too many problems,that a rep was sent in.they didn't do anything,and wanted me to file suit against them.BEWARE.traded it in less than a year of having it,with only 9000 miles.nice looking,but I was also stuck with a brand new lemon with numerous,numerous problems.please stay away.factory tires are junk also.

Favorite Features

look,power,and towing package.pulled better than my relatives F-250

Suggested Improvements

Dodge should shut down.that would be the greatest improvement to the auto industry.Don't buy.you'll regret it,especially if you have to deal with them directly,or if you have countless problems.only in it for a quck sale.

Break downs
By MD

2008 Dodge Dakota SXT 4dr Crew Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Like my 2008 Dodge, Several time turn in for minor thing while under warr. Radio clock doesn't work, been reset about 6 times, gave up on turning it in to get fixed. Got 37,400 miles on it and rack and pinon when out along with power steering pump, $1,740 to fix it. Gas mileage average 16 to 18 on open highway, 3.7 6 cyl. with no load, pulling small boat, around 1,350 pounds, about 12 to 14 miles a gallon. Power on 3.7 is low, will not stay in overdrive going up small hills. Second Dodge Dakota I own. Warr should be better, keep oil change and maintenance back the book, if you go over 60 miles pass oil change, warr. is void. Turn mine in and had 12 miles before void warr.

Favorite Features

Ride nice, looks good

Suggested Improvements

Fuel, no 20 on open highway at 65 or 70 no load. Maybe 18 at best 2 wheel drive. Better warr.

Muscle truck
By Jason

2008 Dodge Dakota Sport 4dr Extended Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Originally was going to get the 07 at the end of the year. But after hearing about the new V8 I waited. I was not disappointed, power is very good. MPG could be better but is OK at about 16.5 average. I like all the storage, but dash looks and feels like cheap hard plastic. Cab has a lot of wind noise, but with stereo on it is not noticeable. Ride is stiff and bouncy, very noticeable while going around a turn with bumps, feels like the back end is going to lose traction. I have the Sport and it should have been set up to look sportier like the Colorado with a lowered stance. Front seat only holds 2 people while my older model holds 3, 3 would be better. Stock rear tinted windows are dark.

Favorite Features

V8 is awesome, might be faster than the Hemi in the Ram due to the Ram being a 1000 LBS more.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas millage, lower stance, interior plastic needs help. I like the seats from my 03 better.

Transmision and Fan problems
By Charles

2008 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

The first night I owned the vehicle I started it and the Variable Speed Fan was locked up. It roared like an 18 wheeler. Then came the transmission problem. When coming to a stop, at 25 MPH the transmission dropped into low gear and jolted the whole vehicle. Many trips to dealer never resolved these problems. Tech says fan problem is normal!!! I got rid of it at 28,900 miles. The decision was made solely due to the problems with the vehicle.

Favorite Features

I liked the design, ride and comfort. I disliked having repeat problems especially with the transmission. The Final Straw was when the dealer's technician (Chapman Dodge) said nothing was wrong with the transmission. Tech says Differential is SHATTERING, needs an oil change every 15k miles.

Suggested Improvements

Build a more reliable vehicle; concentrate on quality. Fix it when it has a problem; don't try to get it past warranty and dump the cost of repair on the buyer.