Used 2008 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Great Concept. Bad build. Too heavy and sluggish.
By nclemons1985

2008 Dodge Dakota Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I Loved Dakotas. I owned a 94 4WD 3.9L V6 Dakota. Really fun to drive. Great size. In 2004 I purchased a 2000 4.7L V8 4WD Dakota. I recently sold it with 170,000 miles. It still ran great. My favorite year for Dakotas. Last year I purchased a 2008 4WD Dakota with the 4.7L. I traded it in 4 months later for a new RAM. They upgraded the 4.7L to 302 hp yet it is slower than my 00 Dakota. The 08 is to heavy. Defeats the purpose of mid size or small size truck. The ground clearance is too low. The 4WD is stiff; in addition the turning radius in 4WD is as bad as I have ever experienced in a truck. The truck is almost unbearable to drive off road. The suspension is too weak to carry the weight

The truck looks nice. The exterior is slick. I also appreciated the interior of the truck. A lot of room in the Crew Cab. Overall the looks of the truck inside and out were good. The 4.7L is a amazing motor. It is my second one. They will run for a long time and produce alot of power for that size engine. However it is not enough for a truck as heavy as the 2008 Crew Cab Dakota.

Since the Dakota has been discontinued suggestions, and improvements are pointless. However I loved the concept of a V8 in smaller trucks. I do not enjoy the weight of the 08 Dakota however. Made it sluggish. The 4WD needs improvement. My suggestion for buyers that have already purchased a 08 or newer Dakota is trade it in for a new Ram. It is twice the truck with better gas mileage and equal price. If Dodge decides to make another small or mid size truck I would suggest taking lessons from the 2000-2004 Models. They were the perfect truck.

Update to previous rating
By Dale

2008 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Since last review with wiring problems, I've had my Dakota on two out of state trips, and pull a 2800 lb. boat and trlr. fishing. I now trust my truck. I'll do 72 on highway pulling boat with a/c on. May turn off air on big hills. I can get 19mpg when using cruise, which surprised me since I have a steady foot. Plan on getting 265 tires, from the 245 stocked next spring if it's no issue. I also plan on getting another warranty, I have lifetime drivetrain, but will research because know how business can be. They'd rather tell you to sue, it's about money. Don't know any other truck that will fit in garage, with the power, Toyota can't be trusted now. Waiting for wagon etc. with power, mileage.

Sirius, power seats etc. upper console, comfort, huge engine, rated mileage using cruise. Handling, braking mech. all good. Quiet enough inside.

I'd prefer full time 4WD with mech. engage. Steering can be a little numb on highway, but it does handle well. Would like pop out cup holders like 05 Ram. Needs a double glove box like Nissan, lose the upper storage above glove box. Side air bags. I guess 2012 will lose the real truck for unibody, yuk

Break downs
By MD

2008 Dodge Dakota SXT 4dr Crew Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Like my 2008 Dodge, Several time turn in for minor thing while under warr. Radio clock doesn't work, been reset about 6 times, gave up on turning it in to get fixed. Got 37,400 miles on it and rack and pinon when out along with power steering pump, $1,740 to fix it. Gas mileage average 16 to 18 on open highway, 3.7 6 cyl. with no load, pulling small boat, around 1,350 pounds, about 12 to 14 miles a gallon. Power on 3.7 is low, will not stay in overdrive going up small hills. Second Dodge Dakota I own. Warr should be better, keep oil change and maintenance back the book, if you go over 60 miles pass oil change, warr. is void. Turn mine in and had 12 miles before void warr.

Ride nice, looks good

Fuel, no 20 on open highway at 65 or 70 no load. Maybe 18 at best 2 wheel drive. Better warr.

nightmare
By paul

2008 Dodge Dakota TRX 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

my 2004 was way better.this was nothing but problems since the day I bought it.awesome look,great power and roomy.thats all.many numerous factory tsb's and defects.mechanically and cosmetically.too many problems,that a rep was sent in.they didn't do anything,and wanted me to file suit against them.BEWARE.traded it in less than a year of having it,with only 9000 miles.nice looking,but I was also stuck with a brand new lemon with numerous,numerous problems.please stay away.factory tires are junk also.

look,power,and towing package.pulled better than my relatives F-250

Dodge should shut down.that would be the greatest improvement to the auto industry.Don't buy.you'll regret it,especially if you have to deal with them directly,or if you have countless problems.only in it for a quck sale.

2nd dakota
By bluedak

2008 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this 08 crew cab to replace my 01 ext. Cab due to growing family. I loved my 01, and this one is starting to grow on me. The new 4.7 has much more power than the prior version. I have 28k on the truck, and no mechanical problems yet. I guess my 2 gripes with the 08 are the interior feels a little cheap (few rattles from arm rest and more plasticky overall than my 01). And the 05 to current dakotas sit too low to the ground, esp. Compared to Tacoma and frontier. But I like it overall and would buy my 3rd Dakota in the future. Mpg 16-17 in mixed driving, similar to my 01 4.7, except with about 70 more hp.

like the optional bed rails w/ tiedowns,the new 4.7 power, the ride is good,interior space and visibility from the quad cab are excellent. good access to carseat in back.like the inferno red color, too. decent mpg for v8.

stance too low for a truck, smallish stock tires for a 4x4 truck (245's),cheap feeling interior, although i find the seats pretty comfy.tpms is a little too sensitive. light will come on if it goes 1lb of pressure below the recommended psi.