Used 2007 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2007 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Big wow, little performance.
By wally

2007 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I leased on a 48 month lease because it fit my budget and this is a great looking 1/4 ton truck. I have not had any real mechanical issues other than a very very soft suspension. I had a '79 Ford Granada as a teenage and it had better suspension! Gas mileage is a joke - 20 C/ 29 H, more like 13 C/ 19 H. The V8 4.7L is a great engine in this truck, lots of power when called upon. Like I said before, it looks great, outside and inside. Very rugged looking, to bad the suspension doesn't keep up!

Favorite Features

The looks of the exterior and interior are fantastic. Very rugged looking, best looking 1/4 ton on the market.

Suggested Improvements

Eye candy set on a pathetic suspension. A truck is a truck, put a suspension to compliment the looks and power. If I wanted handling like a car I would have purchased a car. For a company that is "Ram" tough, they sure dropped the ball on what could have been a great 1/4 truck!

Least Expensive Truck with 6010 Gvwr
By Autoservicecenter

2007 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I needed a truck that met the weight requirement of over 6000 lbs and over a 6 ft box to qualify for IRS Section 179 100% tax depreciation in the first year. I did not want a big full sized truck to do it, so I searched the market and found 2. The Honda Ridgeline and the Dakota. The Ridgeline was underpowered. The Dakota is perfect. GVWR of 6010 lbs and a 6.6 ft box meet Section 179 requirements. I test drove other 4x4's and only the Dakota rides perfect on rough roads - not to loose and not jarring stiff. The cabin is nice and quiet at interstate speeds. The 4.7 L High Output V8 pulls hard on hills, blasts around when passing traffic, tows 7500lbs and gets 20 highway mpg.

Favorite Features

Quiet interior, plenty of power, reasonable economy for 4x4, swing back rear doors, strong metal in body, Timing chain not belt, easy access to change fluids on engine and transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger spoiler on front bumper to improve underbody aerodynamics, body colored rear mud flaps as standard equipment.

Garbage
By JB

2007 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I leased this on a 27 month lease because the price was so good, and it is the best looking 1/4 ton by NA manufacturers. I basically choose this based on looks. Big mistake. I've had both front wheel bearing replaced, distributer cap, computer, brakes, emissions pump, etc. The engine would just all of a sudden have no power despite revving high. These problems could be over looked if I was able to get the posted mileage of 20 city and 29 highway. I get 16 highway and about 14 city. I should be able to sue Dodge for the difference in gas mileage because that is ridiculous. About half the posed mileage! I'm buying a Toyota as soon as a get rid of this junk bucket.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks

Suggested Improvements

everything else

My second Gen 3 Dakota...for a reason
By tms1521

2007 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second Gen 3 Dakota. I previously had a '06 ST Club Cab. But it was time for an upgrade...and I made the right choice. I have the V8 so with gas prices the way they are, it is not favorable. But it is a great truck. It is rugged, comfortable and has plenty of power. I highly recommend this truck!

Favorite Features

Styling, Comfort, perfect size

Suggested Improvements

they should've put the '08 V-8 in the '07.

I love my dakota
By suemccartin

2007 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have had the truck about 45 days, love it. Getting used to the lower gas mileage but I'll adjust. Very easy to drive, fun to drive, drive the 6 yourself before you decide you don't want it, it's plenty peppy for most things and unless you're towing a gigantic trailer you don't need the insurance rates or the gas guzzling of an 8. This is a wonderful truck, very comfortable, very quiet, you want the SLT package for the power mirrors and the alarm, rear antilock and security system really cuts your insurance rates at least with geico. I love my truck just have to learn it's personality and I'm short so reaching the fluid checking stuff is a challenge sometimes.

Favorite Features

Comfortable cab, quiet

Suggested Improvements

Short people need a step ladder to reach the oil, brakes and other fluids