Used 2006 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Great Truck!
By alex

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my Dakota since it was new, and I love it. I've also customized it so that makes it more fun to drive. Subs, 20" wheels, cold air, flowmaster, you know the whole package. I go big, LOL. I always get compliments on the looks and it drives well. Power can be added though. Even with cold air intake and flowmaster, still have issues. Nonetheless, great truck!

The size is right
By Gregg

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I like the size of the Dakota. Full size trucks are too large for what I need and compact trucks are just too small. Good power from the 4.7 L V8. Knew better than to get the V6, little if any better fuel economy with no power. Back seats are OK for the little kids but should have gotten quad cab for more room. Had problems with vibrations at 50-65 mph. Dealer finally found & replaced 3 defective tires (Goodyears). Only real gripe is the extremely soft front suspension. Dips and bumps in the road make for a bouncy white knuckle ride. Very unnerving when the front end is bouncing up & down & up & down nearly bottoming out over a small dip on the highway.

Favorite Features

Perfect size truck and V8 engine. Feels sturdy for a smaller truck. Comfortable front seats and large armrest. Grill attached to hood for better engine access.

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer front suspension, feels unsafe at higher speeds. More hooks in bed of truck for tying down cargo. Better tires. Cross member is directly under oil drain which makes a mess. Better MPG would be nice, but hey, it's a truck.

Go V-8 for the power
By Brian

2006 Dodge Dakota Laramie 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Pretty good truck overall. Average 19- 20 mpg with no load and city/hwy mix. With load drops to 17-18 mpg. Has a good ride but wind noise has picked up over time. Ignition module went out at 40000 just over warranty ($400). I really enjoy the truck overall. I was at the dealer and talked about trade for kicks. The V-8 is undesirable over the V-6 even though you only gain 1-2 mpg with the V-6. The V-8 has the power to haul and get you on the road as the V-6 was a dog to me.

Favorite Features

Sirius Radio. U-connect. Laramie features give the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Great Truck
By Steve C.

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2006 Club Cab about 19 months ago. I currently have 31,800 miles on it. Few complaints or problems. I love the large center arm rest. Very comfortable driving position. The 3.7 liter v-6 is adequate, but could use a little more power. My only complaint is that when you hit a bump, the front suspension rattles & sounds loose. Also, the blind spots are rather large which makes it difficult when pulling out of certain types of intersections. I like the styling and the interior is basic but it works well, after all it is a truck. I would recommend a Dakota to anyone who needs a truck. It's a great compromise between the smaller compact trucks & the full size gas guzzlers.

Favorite Features

I love the large center armrest. The bed is a great size. You can haul 8 foot items with the tailgate down. Gauges are large & easy to read.

Bad Trans
By pinski10

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I always like the Dodge Dakota so i bought this one Brand New. Since I have had this, it has been in the shop 5 times now. This time for the transmission that just went out @ 44,000 miles, and NO this year did not come with the extended Powertrain warranty. So I get to eat the cost of it this time. Other times it was in the shop for.. 1. Computer went out 2. Windshield Wiper motor 3. Bad Speakers 4. Ignition Switch

Favorite Features

Exterior Looks, the truck does look very nice. The ride and handle are also very good.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission and warranty, interior is dull and plain, and the MPG on this truck just flat out stinks. I think I am getting 17 on the highway. Also the truck lacks power my wifes Nissan mini van has way more power than this truck does. The V-6 is a dog