2006 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews 5

2006 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Confused
By fronteeer on 04/10/07 06:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I took over the lease on a crew cab Dakota 4x4 to help out a friend, and I hate it so much that it sits in the driveway. My other truck is an '05 Frontier SE crew cab, and there is no comparison between the Nissan and the Dodge. If the Dakota was $10,000 less expensive (instead of just cheaper) I'd give it some cred for offering a decent work truck to someone with a more modest income. If it sounded good and was fun to drive, I'd give it credit for power and handling, even lacking refinement as it does. But for the price, and knowing what Nissan and Toyota are offering, there's no way I'd buy this junk heap.Worst money I've ever spent on anything. Editor's Most Wanted?

Don't buy a Dodge!
By Kenneth on 03/14/07 13:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I originally bought this truck due to it being the best truck for the money compared to the others. Now, I have constant problems with it. The power steering pump constantly screams as if it is low on fluid even though it is full. I have had difficulty getting the truck to start on 4 occasions, but the dealer can't duplicate the problem to diagnose it. The door is now sagging due to it not being tightened down all the way at the factory, and the body lean even at low speeds is excessive. I have taken the truck in to 3 different dealers for repair, and have had similar negative results with all. This truck is affordable initially, but is more expensive in the long run.

Incentives to buy for a reason
By Frank Klassen on 03/11/07 15:24 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Need something to pull the neighbor out of the ditch with look no futher. But don't try to pass a filling station because you may not make the next. Fuel economy is worst than my 1991 V8 Dakota with 220,000 miles on it. Try to turn up the volume with gloves on and you shut it off over 80% of the time and remember to watch out for the shifter lever which is in the way to get to the stereo. Window controls are not usable except without gloves and don't try to unbuckle with gloves it don't work. Plow through snow to get to the highway and the alternator belt slips. The armrest is so hard and it shows dirt instantly. Incentives to buy for a reason. Buy the Toyota

Nice Truck except for the Problems
By 2ndLDDodge on 01/20/07 17:44 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I downsized from a Ram to a Dakota for better gas mileage. Stuck with Dodge due to the reliability of my old Ram. Unfortunately, my Dakota has been in the shop ten times over the last year. Three for wheel vibrations that appear to be fixed for now, and seven for belt problems that still are not resolved. Belt tensioner broke at 4000 miles. Since then it has been through three additional belts and in-and-out of the shop for belt squeel when making tight turns in parking lots. Should have contacted a Lemon-Law attorney before it went out of waranty as a friend has the same truck and has never experienced this problem. Other than that, it's a pleasure to drive, and looks great too.

Dodge Dakota - Drive the best!
By john p. on 01/13/07 08:38 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned Dodge Dakotas since 1991. I have seen the evolution of this truck. I now have the latest 2006 Quad Cab Sport SLT 4.7 high output. What stands out - Heavy duty truck! Very strong and stiff frame, solid sturdy cab and body. Braking is good. Great styling, very comfortable interior. Ram wheels bolt on for instant 20" look. What it lacks - fuel economy, H.O. 4.7 lacks power (compared to the old 5.2 & 5.9 & some V6's) yet has plenty of grunt with bolt on upgrades. Trans is slow to downshift. Body roll on higher speed cornering. Changing oil is messy. The oil drains onto the trans x-member and creates a 15 inch cascading mess. None-the-less, a very impressive truck. Solid.

Great quality and design!
By AMY on 01/06/07 11:54 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

The Dakota has been a wonderful vehicle for my family. From the comfortable seating for a family of four, to accountability. It was by far very affordable, with all of the extra equipment, compared to other makes!

Pretty good Ride
By sammyjay on 11/15/06 12:08 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I drive this truck every day. My only complaint is that the gas mileage is significantly less than advertised.

Buy one, you will love it
By paul on 10/28/06 13:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I drive mostly highway and I am getting about 20-21 MPG on the highway. I love this truck, It's the first truck I have ever owned. I only wish I would have gotten the V8. I like the V6. I would go out and buy another Dodge and not think twice about it. I have not had one problem with it and I have 12,300 mile on it.

Great truck
By ikestine on 10/21/06 19:24 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Traded in a Kia Rio for this wonderful truck. It has a very quiet ride and is very roomy. The interior is nice with some composite graphite on the dash and white tach with bold black letters. The lights glow blue on dash at night. The overall look of this truck is very nice. Dodge has one my family over.

Gas Hog
By dp on 10/20/06 19:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned my Dakota for one year now and I've put 25k miles on it. Belt tensioner went out at 18k miles and left me stranded with an overheated truck. Fuel economy is pathetic. I've never gotten more than 16 mpg's on the highway and I get about 12 in the city at best. This is a great work truck, but I would not recommend it as a daily commuter vehicle.