Used 2006 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

BUY A V8 !
By FULLER

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

If you bought a V6 don't complian about power . You bought a v6 duh. The V8 screams and the only problem i have is getting traction to break inertia,

Favorite Features

Quad comfort, body style,V8. SOTF 4X4

Suggested Improvements

Window's freeze shut in winter power window has not enough power to open it. Also power steering lines need to be steel braided just keep breaking all winter long. a few minor warranty issues.

Good old all American work truck.
By Steven

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

At 50k I replaced: tires the brake pads Iíve installed K&N air filter and Bosch Platinum 4 spark plugs. About a month ago the cam shaft and the crank shaft sensors vent bad 400$, #2ingnition coil replacement was 35$. Belt replacement coming too. Paint is very sensitive. Body dents very easy. Factory speakers sounds like you have a bucket on them later upgraded with Infinity speakers now the whole door panel rattles.I have broken the parking brake release 18$ and once I have slammed the glove compartment door and the opening mechanism broke inside 50$. Idles a little rough. And the tranny are slow.I may going to have some problems with my differential. Highway I do 20mpg city about 15-16mpg.

Favorite Features

Truly impressive towing. Pretty spacious inside also the rear door opens wide. Easy access of the engine compartment as you will going to spend lots of time on it. I don't care much for mpg if you want more by a Prius. It's not that bed of a truck but it's got some issues.

Suggested Improvements

My conclusion is the engine could produce more power but the tranny are too slow. If somehow the shift timing could be reprogrammed the mpg would be better and it would produce a quicker vehicle. The single most annoying element is the all around plastic inside. The bed could be bigger a few inches.

Irmas Dakota
By Bob Kay

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

3 years old, only the plastic parking brake pull inside clip broke. glued on a metal L, drilled hole to match and good to go. ZERO problems. Running syntheic oil, getting 18-24 mpg from around town to 70-75 on open road. 3.7 OK, not same power as my 318 Ram Van but does well vs milage improvement. Love the truck, especially around town. Would get another in a minute. Wife will not let it go, loves 17" wheels for traffic and trailer towing package and posi-tracking make a big difference. Corners flat without a lean. Spend the little more then just standard, worth it. Dynamite sound system. Three part folding back cover is recommended for mpg and the Dodge heavy duty bed mat keeps back quiet

Favorite Features

17"wheels, cruise, HD suspension, sound system, split front seat to allow six, style, posi-tracking in rain and off road, lumbar support and power seat

Suggested Improvements

at least 2 additional power outlets, one that stays on, oil pressure light, spoiled from other chryslers, more tie down areas in back bed.

Overall great vehicle
By John

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Have had my Dakota since new. The V8 is good but could have more power. 3xs back to the dealer for turn signle problems. Could use better suspension. Tires are terrible. Dodge, put a truck tire on a truck please. Surprisingly not as a cheaply built as I would think from a domestic vehicle. I prefer buying Deomestic but quality is going to drive that decision for people, including myself in the future. I love my Dakota. Thinking about adding some aftermarket improvement as I have no plans on getting rid of it. First vehicle I have had in a long time, domestic made, that I am really really happy with.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks. Solid feel with comfortable drive. A lot of room in the quad cab.

Suggested Improvements

Get some real truck tires, stock equipment that came with mine are terrible. Stronger suspension. Better position of 4wd controls, improve quality of interior (the competition offers a lot more at less cost, especially an import). Focus on the quality and what people want.

Bad transmissions
By Justin Schafer

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

At 42k miles my transmission fluid is black when i replaced it 3 months ago. Of course they tell me i need a new transmission and of course it's 6k out of warranty. Eventually i get a hold of someone at dodge who agree to help, yet they only decided to pay 50% of 2,800 to get a new one. 02-05 come with 7 yr 70k powertrain warranty and late 06 to now come with a lifetime powertrain of course i got an early 06 so i'm screwed with a 3 yr 36k bumper to bumper. When i turn the wheel lock to lock it squeals, fluid seems fine, mystery illness. Terrible gas mileage, center console latch stuck and couldn't get it open after awhile. The whole center console is cheaply made.Overall bad choice on my part

Favorite Features

ipod port

Suggested Improvements

Better quality interior, more bed tie downs, transmissions