Used 2006 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

We call it Shake Rattle and Roll
By Stacy GA

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This truck shakes. It vibrates. Took it back to the dealership 5 times in 5 months. Finally had to call Chrysler when the dealership became very rude with me. They didn't know what to do with it. It was still under the manufacturers warranty but they kept telling me it was brake issues and tire issues. Had all that replaced. Truck was still vibrating. They repaired some kind of axle shaft. Still vibrating. Put 4 new tires on it and turned the front rotors. Didn't vibrate for about 3 months. Now it's vibrating again. It's a piece of crap just because of this vibration that no one can make permanently go away.

It's a nice looking truck. Lots of cup holders.

Better fuel mileage and make it stop vibrating.

Loved my 2006 Dakota
By Dakota Lover

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I recently lost my 2006 Dodge Dakota 8- cylinder quad cab 2WD due to a weather related accident. But in the 3 1/2 years I owned my Dakota, I absolutely loved driving it every time I got behind the wheel; and had zero problems with it in the time I owned it. As I was so completely satisfied with my 2006 Dakota in the time I owned it, I wanted to post a post-ownership review for the benefit of those who are considering purchasing one. The only bit of advice I would have is to opt for the 4-wheel drive version, though, since the 2-wheel drive version is real-wheel drive.

Huge center console; huge front cup holder; extremely powerful stereo with amplifier; extremely comfortable ride.

At some point it would be nice if the American truck manufacturers picked up on the Honda Ridgeline's innovations and began including a lockable trunk in the pickup bed and a dual-opening tailgate.

impressive mpg
By aaron86004

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

i dont know why other people are complaining this truck has a v8 4x4 add acts like it... it has a lot better mpg than my 2000 ranger 4x4 3.o v6 (never got above 18 mpg) dakota never gets below 19.3 mpg v8 highway.... its a truck you will never get 30 mpg so stop complaining it has excellent gas mileage for a truck...

torque..only midsize offered with a v8 highest towing capacit of a midsize.. supsizes people when you first start it up...

would of been nice if dealership would of fixed the lumber support before i bought it but just a personal complaint... stock stereo should sound a little better...

Gas Hog
By gonz2479

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

All I can say is this vehicle gets 12 MPG on mostly highway while keeping it below 2,000 rpms. The window sticker is far from accurate. Buyer beware.

Exterior design and comfort.

FUEL MILEAGE!

The jury's still out...
By Jay

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a used '06 in '08. I wanted a V-6 for milage (traded in a Jeep Wrangler) but the V-6 is a dog. It won't get out of it's own way. The rear end is super light and on rain slicked roads you really need to watch the break away factor. That could also be because of the crappy Good Year tires the truck came with. I'll be upgrading the tires to Michelins very soon. Suspension is extremely soft and bouncy, almost like driving a '70's era Cadillac. The bed could be a few inches longer but it works for what I need. I can put my Suzuki RM in the back straight on with the gate down. The mpg is decent, not great, not bad. So far, I haven't had any mechanical issues.

Exterior looks, size. Small tucks are too small and full size are too big. This one is just right. Rear seating is good for adults. Rear doors open wide. Ample storage.

Stiffer suspension. Better tires. More power out of the 6.