2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
We call it Shake Rattle and Roll
By Stacy GA on 07/07/10 12:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This truck shakes. It vibrates. Took it back to the dealership 5 times in 5 months. Finally had to call Chrysler when the dealership became very rude with me. They didn't know what to do with it. It was still under the manufacturers warranty but they kept telling me it was brake issues and tire issues. Had all that replaced. Truck was still vibrating. They repaired some kind of axle shaft. Still vibrating. Put 4 new tires on it and turned the front rotors. Didn't vibrate for about 3 months. Now it's vibrating again. It's a piece of crap just because of this vibration that no one can make permanently go away.

Loved my 2006 Dakota
By Dakota Lover on 06/07/10 19:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I recently lost my 2006 Dodge Dakota 8- cylinder quad cab 2WD due to a weather related accident. But in the 3 1/2 years I owned my Dakota, I absolutely loved driving it every time I got behind the wheel; and had zero problems with it in the time I owned it. As I was so completely satisfied with my 2006 Dakota in the time I owned it, I wanted to post a post-ownership review for the benefit of those who are considering purchasing one. The only bit of advice I would have is to opt for the 4-wheel drive version, though, since the 2-wheel drive version is real-wheel drive.

impressive mpg
By aaron86004 on 05/15/10 02:49 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

i dont know why other people are complaining this truck has a v8 4x4 add acts like it... it has a lot better mpg than my 2000 ranger 4x4 3.o v6 (never got above 18 mpg) dakota never gets below 19.3 mpg v8 highway.... its a truck you will never get 30 mpg so stop complaining it has excellent gas mileage for a truck...

Gas Hog
By gonz2479 on 01/28/10 14:34 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

All I can say is this vehicle gets 12 MPG on mostly highway while keeping it below 2,000 rpms. The window sticker is far from accurate. Buyer beware.

The jury's still out...
By Jay on 06/14/09 11:05 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a used '06 in '08. I wanted a V-6 for milage (traded in a Jeep Wrangler) but the V-6 is a dog. It won't get out of it's own way. The rear end is super light and on rain slicked roads you really need to watch the break away factor. That could also be because of the crappy Good Year tires the truck came with. I'll be upgrading the tires to Michelins very soon. Suspension is extremely soft and bouncy, almost like driving a '70's era Cadillac. The bed could be a few inches longer but it works for what I need. I can put my Suzuki RM in the back straight on with the gate down. The mpg is decent, not great, not bad. So far, I haven't had any mechanical issues.

Good old all American work truck.
By Steven on 03/12/09 21:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

At 50k I replaced: tires the brake pads I’ve installed K&N air filter and Bosch Platinum 4 spark plugs. About a month ago the cam shaft and the crank shaft sensors vent bad 400$, #2ingnition coil replacement was 35$. Belt replacement coming too. Paint is very sensitive. Body dents very easy. Factory speakers sounds like you have a bucket on them later upgraded with Infinity speakers now the whole door panel rattles.I have broken the parking brake release 18$ and once I have slammed the glove compartment door and the opening mechanism broke inside 50$. Idles a little rough. And the tranny are slow.I may going to have some problems with my differential. Highway I do 20mpg city about 15-16mpg.

Irmas Dakota
By Bob Kay on 03/08/09 21:04 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

3 years old, only the plastic parking brake pull inside clip broke. glued on a metal L, drilled hole to match and good to go. ZERO problems. Running syntheic oil, getting 18-24 mpg from around town to 70-75 on open road. 3.7 OK, not same power as my 318 Ram Van but does well vs milage improvement. Love the truck, especially around town. Would get another in a minute. Wife will not let it go, loves 17" wheels for traffic and trailer towing package and posi-tracking make a big difference. Corners flat without a lean. Spend the little more then just standard, worth it. Dynamite sound system. Three part folding back cover is recommended for mpg and the Dodge heavy duty bed mat keeps back quiet

Bad Trans
By pinski10 on 05/27/08 10:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I always like the Dodge Dakota so i bought this one Brand New. Since I have had this, it has been in the shop 5 times now. This time for the transmission that just went out @ 44,000 miles, and NO this year did not come with the extended Powertrain warranty. So I get to eat the cost of it this time. Other times it was in the shop for.. 1. Computer went out 2. Windshield Wiper motor 3. Bad Speakers 4. Ignition Switch

Back on the Road
By wrench1 on 09/18/07 05:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

After driving for 3600 miles I was hit by a Peterbuilt truck in rush hour last June 19th. Just got back yesterday afyet numerous repairs from accident. This truck saved my life as If I was hit in my car I would be dead. Only frame damage was left rear rail which was pulled back on fram machine. Outstanding crash protection. I walked away with no injury.

Comfortable Ride
By Jesse on 08/08/07 19:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

My 2000 Tundra was falling apart, and I wanted to buy a small new truck. The interior room is great for hauling the kids around. We have also taken a couple of 500 miles trips and the highway mileage and comfort are great. But, the get up and go is non-existent. I don't get in a hurry with this one. Also, it is hard to get aftermarket parts/mods for the truck. Overall, a good ride, but I wish I had looked a bit more.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.