Used 2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

'06 V8 Has 92k No Rattles or Squeaks
By scott_in_pa

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck used with 88k about 6 months ago. I did replace a front wheel bearing, but otherwise this truck performs like a champ! It has the smaller V8 and 6sp manual, a great combo for having fun and hauling a utility trailer. MPG is right a t 20 on the highway and 16-17 in the city. For an engine nearing 100k, that's right on the EPA mark. Interior is a bit bland, but everything is easy to read and easy to use. Power windows! Heated mirrors! I think those are my only options. The 4x4 system is older but highly effective. Braking is very adequate, very little fade even with rear drums and front discs. For 10g's, this was a really good buy.

Favorite Features

tall water bottles hit the stick in the cup holder. Steering can get a bit bouncy on uneven pavement, but when loaded down it is fine.

just bought my third dakota.
By dokotaguy22

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

great truck. i just traded in my 02 dakota sport quad cab 4x4 v8. for a 2006 dakota slt quad cab 4x4 v8. be for that a had a 95 sport 2wd. these trucks are tough. they can really take a beating. i live in wisconsin. we have rough winters. really wet rainy seasons. this truck can haddle any thing. i loved off roading in my 02. best 4x4 i have ever ownd. i pulled out some chevys. and a couple fords. this deer season. i highly recomend this truck if you do alot of out door activitys. or just want a good/safe winter vehical. very fun. very reliable. very powerfull. very best deal. none of the other compair. not even half of the full size trucks

Favorite Features

love the 4x4 system. love my v8 sounds mean. power windows remote start. keyless entry. automatic seats. self adjusting mirror.

Suggested Improvements

could use a little more torque. and a touch of power. i would like to see this truck stock with. at least 330 horse power. 600+ torque

does not honor warranty
By tuffoldman

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Laramie 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 06 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with the 3.7 v6. I am overall satisfied with the truck, but not with Dodge itself. I bought my truck in Feb 07, important date: the transmission went out the other day so I looked up dodge warranty and found out that an extended warranty for the 06 dakota powertrain was provided if you bought your truck on or after July 07. 4 months from the day I bought mine Feb 07. So dodge eventhough it's the same year and all will not honor my warranty due to the 4 month difference on day of purchase. DODGE/CHRYSLER, I HAVE BOUGHT MY LAST VEHICLE FROM YOU AND WILL RECOMMEND TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY THE SAME. MAYBE THAT'S WHY THE JAPANESE ARE AHEAD OF US IN CUSTOMER SERVIC

Favorite Features

NONE YOU CAN HAVE DODGE/CHRYSLER, WE BAILED THEM OUT, BUT THEY JUST IGNORE THEIR CUTOMERS. PLEASE DO NOT BUY

Suggested Improvements

GET BACK AMERICAS MONEY WE LOANED TO THEM AND SHUT THEIR DOORS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA.

2006 Dakota 4.7 V8 Q-Cab 4WD SLT w/upgrd
By Mike

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I just purchased a 2006 Dakota with 21,000 miles on it in great condition. I needed something that can tow in the future, but not a big truck. It only had 4-5,000 miles per year prior to purchase. It rides much better than I thought and has plenty of room inside. I prefer the plastic look everyone seems to hate, but its easier to clean. I recently got 24 mpg highway and get about 18 city. This is great for a truck. I am very happy I got a Dakota with 21,000 and not a Frontier or Tacoma with 100,000. They are priced too high. Tailgate is not heavy like others say, better get back to the gym.

Favorite Features

Cabin room, 6-disc cd/mp3 player, ride, interior/exterior design

Suggested Improvements

My only hiccup is the lack of options for cargo tie downs in the bed. But these can be added easily later.

We call it Shake Rattle and Roll
By Stacy GA

2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This truck shakes. It vibrates. Took it back to the dealership 5 times in 5 months. Finally had to call Chrysler when the dealership became very rude with me. They didn't know what to do with it. It was still under the manufacturers warranty but they kept telling me it was brake issues and tire issues. Had all that replaced. Truck was still vibrating. They repaired some kind of axle shaft. Still vibrating. Put 4 new tires on it and turned the front rotors. Didn't vibrate for about 3 months. Now it's vibrating again. It's a piece of crap just because of this vibration that no one can make permanently go away.

Favorite Features

It's a nice looking truck. Lots of cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel mileage and make it stop vibrating.