2006 Dodge Dakota Club Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Disappointed
By proquestioner on 08/02/13 23:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Club Cab SLT 4dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Owned the 4.7 V8 Magnum version of this vehicle for three years. During that time, we poured $8000 in repairs alone into it. We should have bailed ship at the first sign of trouble. Money pit. Rust issues and strange structural issues galore. Other than that, it was a great truck for hauling around nearly a ton of stuff and a daily commuter. Comfortable, simple clean design interior with nice Alpine stereo. 4x4 really came in handy during winter and extreme rains. V8 was responsive and sturdy. Took a massive loss with this vehicle though. Wouldn't recommend this particular year for the issues associated with it. Check owner forums to determine a good year to buy.

A good reliable truck.
By 06dodgedakota on 04/10/12 07:38 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Club Cab ST 4dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have 130K miles on my 4x4, V6, 6 speed, 2006 Dakota. So far, (knock on wood), no problems. On road it drives like a car. Off-road, it does it's job well. It handles central Oregon snow great. It also crawls up central Oregon buttes with ease despite it's lower ground clearance. Not sure where the 20 MPG comes into play, but mine gets more like 15-17MPG, city/hwy respectively. My V6 feels under powered while accelerating to hwy speeds. I could rev it up to or past 3K rpms, but that cost money in fuel.

Bought Used at 38K Miles
By UsedDakotaPickup on 09/08/10 22:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Club Cab ST 4dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

All of you that complain about power on the 6cyl have Automatics? I have the 6 sp manual, and it has great power. Uphill, on the freeway, 65 mph in 5th gear, and still accelerating uphill. 6th gear is great for cruising on flat land, as an OD should be. Plenty of power in the V6 3.7 L here! Great Acceleration from a stop, and when you need it to really romp, taking it up to 3000RMP before shifting seems to do the trick for 1st through 3rd. I get on the freeway every morning and am holding it back by the end of the ramp, where I was still flooring my old rig! Just went through my first tank of gas. 50% town, 50% Freeway - 18 MPG. Great for a pickup, and better than most small trucks for average!

never again
By ihatemydodge on 08/20/09 13:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Club Cab ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this truck for nearly 4 years. Belt tensioner went out under warranty. After warranty expired, water pump replaced TWICE, trans rebuilt at 79k miles, trans control module replaced 2 months later, engine replaced at 86k (leakage on three cylinders...very rough idle), terrible gas mileage, "clunking" sound coming from driveshaft when taking off or stopping (Dealer says common problem and cannot be fixed). Changing the oil is easy, but messy (oil hits cross member and splatters everywhere). Engine is sluggish, and tranny shifts at entirely the wrong time. I hate this truck with a passion and will never buy another Chrysler product. I can see why they went bankrupt.

Best small truck for the money
By doublee2005 on 06/24/09 17:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Club Cab ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

For the money you cannot buy a better small truck. When you compare that you get a v6 with good towing and full truck size for the same money as a single cab tacoma, ranger, colorado, or frontier that only come stock with 4 cylinders, there is no comparison. I bought a full size truck in my eyes for the price of a compact truck. Also the manual transmission is INCREDIBLE. In 6th gear I can run 85 at 2600 rpm which is unheard of with modern cars. So if you want a full size truck for half size money get one, if you want a small truck with fuel economy go buy a tacoma or ranger.

Bad transmissions
By Justin Schafer on 09/23/08 18:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Club Cab SLT 4dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

At 42k miles my transmission fluid is black when i replaced it 3 months ago. Of course they tell me i need a new transmission and of course it's 6k out of warranty. Eventually i get a hold of someone at dodge who agree to help, yet they only decided to pay 50% of 2,800 to get a new one. 02-05 come with 7 yr 70k powertrain warranty and late 06 to now come with a lifetime powertrain of course i got an early 06 so i'm screwed with a 3 yr 36k bumper to bumper. When i turn the wheel lock to lock it squeals, fluid seems fine, mystery illness. Terrible gas mileage, center console latch stuck and couldn't get it open after awhile. The whole center console is cheaply made.Overall bad choice on my part

Great Truck!
By alex on 08/26/08 19:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Club Cab ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my Dakota since it was new, and I love it. I've also customized it so that makes it more fun to drive. Subs, 20" wheels, cold air, flowmaster, you know the whole package. I go big, LOL. I always get compliments on the looks and it drives well. Power can be added though. Even with cold air intake and flowmaster, still have issues. Nonetheless, great truck!

The size is right
By Gregg on 08/20/08 18:22 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Club Cab SLT 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I like the size of the Dakota. Full size trucks are too large for what I need and compact trucks are just too small. Good power from the 4.7 L V8. Knew better than to get the V6, little if any better fuel economy with no power. Back seats are OK for the little kids but should have gotten quad cab for more room. Had problems with vibrations at 50-65 mph. Dealer finally found & replaced 3 defective tires (Goodyears). Only real gripe is the extremely soft front suspension. Dips and bumps in the road make for a bouncy white knuckle ride. Very unnerving when the front end is bouncing up & down & up & down nearly bottoming out over a small dip on the highway.

Go V-8 for the power
By Brian on 08/10/08 07:15 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Club Cab Laramie 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Pretty good truck overall. Average 19- 20 mpg with no load and city/hwy mix. With load drops to 17-18 mpg. Has a good ride but wind noise has picked up over time. Ignition module went out at 40000 just over warranty ($400). I really enjoy the truck overall. I was at the dealer and talked about trade for kicks. The V-8 is undesirable over the V-6 even though you only gain 1-2 mpg with the V-6. The V-8 has the power to haul and get you on the road as the V-6 was a dog to me.

Great Truck
By Steve C. on 07/28/08 15:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota Club Cab ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2006 Club Cab about 19 months ago. I currently have 31,800 miles on it. Few complaints or problems. I love the large center arm rest. Very comfortable driving position. The 3.7 liter v-6 is adequate, but could use a little more power. My only complaint is that when you hit a bump, the front suspension rattles & sounds loose. Also, the blind spots are rather large which makes it difficult when pulling out of certain types of intersections. I like the styling and the interior is basic but it works well, after all it is a truck. I would recommend a Dakota to anyone who needs a truck. It's a great compromise between the smaller compact trucks & the full size gas guzzlers.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.