2006 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
never again
By ihatemydodge on 08/20/09 13:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this truck for nearly 4 years. Belt tensioner went out under warranty. After warranty expired, water pump replaced TWICE, trans rebuilt at 79k miles, trans control module replaced 2 months later, engine replaced at 86k (leakage on three cylinders...very rough idle), terrible gas mileage, "clunking" sound coming from driveshaft when taking off or stopping (Dealer says common problem and cannot be fixed). Changing the oil is easy, but messy (oil hits cross member and splatters everywhere). Engine is sluggish, and tranny shifts at entirely the wrong time. I hate this truck with a passion and will never buy another Chrysler product. I can see why they went bankrupt.

Best small truck for the money
By doublee2005 on 06/24/09 17:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

For the money you cannot buy a better small truck. When you compare that you get a v6 with good towing and full truck size for the same money as a single cab tacoma, ranger, colorado, or frontier that only come stock with 4 cylinders, there is no comparison. I bought a full size truck in my eyes for the price of a compact truck. Also the manual transmission is INCREDIBLE. In 6th gear I can run 85 at 2600 rpm which is unheard of with modern cars. So if you want a full size truck for half size money get one, if you want a small truck with fuel economy go buy a tacoma or ranger.

Great Truck!
By alex on 08/26/08 19:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my Dakota since it was new, and I love it. I've also customized it so that makes it more fun to drive. Subs, 20" wheels, cold air, flowmaster, you know the whole package. I go big, LOL. I always get compliments on the looks and it drives well. Power can be added though. Even with cold air intake and flowmaster, still have issues. Nonetheless, great truck!

Great Truck
By Steve C. on 07/28/08 15:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2006 Club Cab about 19 months ago. I currently have 31,800 miles on it. Few complaints or problems. I love the large center arm rest. Very comfortable driving position. The 3.7 liter v-6 is adequate, but could use a little more power. My only complaint is that when you hit a bump, the front suspension rattles & sounds loose. Also, the blind spots are rather large which makes it difficult when pulling out of certain types of intersections. I like the styling and the interior is basic but it works well, after all it is a truck. I would recommend a Dakota to anyone who needs a truck. It's a great compromise between the smaller compact trucks & the full size gas guzzlers.

Not The Greatest
By zclary923 on 04/05/08 03:20 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I just bought this truck a little over a year ago and it has been pretty reliable for me. It seems to be put together pretty solid. The 3.7 L is very quiet, smooth, and feels refined. I have noticed that the truck seems to pull to the right some on the highway despite having a recent alignment, rotation, and balance done. Also the brakes are already squeaking some when coming to a stop which may or may not be because of the grime and buildup from driving it through Iowa winter. All around though it has been a good truck but if you are looking for something as your daily commuter buy a higher trim level with more options and get 4 wheel drive it makes your vehicle worth that much more.

Gas Hog
By dp on 10/20/06 19:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned my Dakota for one year now and I've put 25k miles on it. Belt tensioner went out at 18k miles and left me stranded with an overheated truck. Fuel economy is pathetic. I've never gotten more than 16 mpg's on the highway and I get about 12 in the city at best. This is a great work truck, but I would not recommend it as a daily commuter vehicle.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.