Used 2006 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

'06 V8 Has 92k No Rattles or Squeaks
By scott_in_pa

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck used with 88k about 6 months ago. I did replace a front wheel bearing, but otherwise this truck performs like a champ! It has the smaller V8 and 6sp manual, a great combo for having fun and hauling a utility trailer. MPG is right a t 20 on the highway and 16-17 in the city. For an engine nearing 100k, that's right on the EPA mark. Interior is a bit bland, but everything is easy to read and easy to use. Power windows! Heated mirrors! I think those are my only options. The 4x4 system is older but highly effective. Braking is very adequate, very little fade even with rear drums and front discs. For 10g's, this was a really good buy.

Favorite Features

tall water bottles hit the stick in the cup holder. Steering can get a bit bouncy on uneven pavement, but when loaded down it is fine.

Disappointed
By proquestioner

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Owned the 4.7 V8 Magnum version of this vehicle for three years. During that time, we poured $8000 in repairs alone into it. We should have bailed ship at the first sign of trouble. Money pit. Rust issues and strange structural issues galore. Other than that, it was a great truck for hauling around nearly a ton of stuff and a daily commuter. Comfortable, simple clean design interior with nice Alpine stereo. 4x4 really came in handy during winter and extreme rains. V8 was responsive and sturdy. Took a massive loss with this vehicle though. Wouldn't recommend this particular year for the issues associated with it. Check owner forums to determine a good year to buy.

Favorite Features

Sound system, V8 Magnum power, 4x4, Reflex bed liner

Suggested Improvements

Use titanium instead of iron or just redesign the water run off by the radiator so it doesn't pool up and create issues. I believe they did solve these issues in the redesigned years.

A good reliable truck.
By 06dodgedakota

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have 130K miles on my 4x4, V6, 6 speed, 2006 Dakota. So far, (knock on wood), no problems. On road it drives like a car. Off-road, it does it's job well. It handles central Oregon snow great. It also crawls up central Oregon buttes with ease despite it's lower ground clearance. Not sure where the 20 MPG comes into play, but mine gets more like 15-17MPG, city/hwy respectively. My V6 feels under powered while accelerating to hwy speeds. I could rev it up to or past 3K rpms, but that cost money in fuel.

Favorite Features

4x4 is great in snow and off road. Exterior styling is aggressive. So far (130K), no problems so reliability is excellent. Sound system is good. AC and heat work like they are supposed to. At 70 MPH the 6th gear is nice as it keeps the RPMs low. So far nothing has broken under the hood or inside the cab.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better fuel economy. Needs better acceleration in the V6. Raise the ground clearance back up to what they were in older dakota. Stock shocks are junk. The truck "floats" like an older Lincoln, so they need to be replaced. Rear leaf springs are weak, so if you need to haul heavy loads, be prepared that it will sag a lot. Back seats in the club cab might as be not there, they just take up room.

just bought my third dakota.
By dokotaguy22

2006 Dodge Dakota Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

great truck. i just traded in my 02 dakota sport quad cab 4x4 v8. for a 2006 dakota slt quad cab 4x4 v8. be for that a had a 95 sport 2wd. these trucks are tough. they can really take a beating. i live in wisconsin. we have rough winters. really wet rainy seasons. this truck can haddle any thing. i loved off roading in my 02. best 4x4 i have ever ownd. i pulled out some chevys. and a couple fords. this deer season. i highly recomend this truck if you do alot of out door activitys. or just want a good/safe winter vehical. very fun. very reliable. very powerfull. very best deal. none of the other compair. not even half of the full size trucks

Favorite Features

love the 4x4 system. love my v8 sounds mean. power windows remote start. keyless entry. automatic seats. self adjusting mirror.

Suggested Improvements

could use a little more torque. and a touch of power. i would like to see this truck stock with. at least 330 horse power. 600+ torque

does not honor warranty
By tuffoldman

2006 Dodge Dakota Laramie 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 06 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with the 3.7 v6. I am overall satisfied with the truck, but not with Dodge itself. I bought my truck in Feb 07, important date: the transmission went out the other day so I looked up dodge warranty and found out that an extended warranty for the 06 dakota powertrain was provided if you bought your truck on or after July 07. 4 months from the day I bought mine Feb 07. So dodge eventhough it's the same year and all will not honor my warranty due to the 4 month difference on day of purchase. DODGE/CHRYSLER, I HAVE BOUGHT MY LAST VEHICLE FROM YOU AND WILL RECOMMEND TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY THE SAME. MAYBE THAT'S WHY THE JAPANESE ARE AHEAD OF US IN CUSTOMER SERVIC

Favorite Features

NONE YOU CAN HAVE DODGE/CHRYSLER, WE BAILED THEM OUT, BUT THEY JUST IGNORE THEIR CUTOMERS. PLEASE DO NOT BUY

Suggested Improvements

GET BACK AMERICAS MONEY WE LOANED TO THEM AND SHUT THEIR DOORS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA.