2006 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
'06 V8 Has 92k No Rattles or Squeaks
By scott_in_pa on 08/12/14 15:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck used with 88k about 6 months ago. I did replace a front wheel bearing, but otherwise this truck performs like a champ! It has the smaller V8 and 6sp manual, a great combo for having fun and hauling a utility trailer. MPG is right a t 20 on the highway and 16-17 in the city. For an engine nearing 100k, that's right on the EPA mark. Interior is a bit bland, but everything is easy to read and easy to use. Power windows! Heated mirrors! I think those are my only options. The 4x4 system is older but highly effective. Braking is very adequate, very little fade even with rear drums and front discs. For 10g's, this was a really good buy.

Disappointed
By proquestioner on 08/02/13 23:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Owned the 4.7 V8 Magnum version of this vehicle for three years. During that time, we poured $8000 in repairs alone into it. We should have bailed ship at the first sign of trouble. Money pit. Rust issues and strange structural issues galore. Other than that, it was a great truck for hauling around nearly a ton of stuff and a daily commuter. Comfortable, simple clean design interior with nice Alpine stereo. 4x4 really came in handy during winter and extreme rains. V8 was responsive and sturdy. Took a massive loss with this vehicle though. Wouldn't recommend this particular year for the issues associated with it. Check owner forums to determine a good year to buy.

A good reliable truck.
By 06dodgedakota on 04/10/12 07:38 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have 130K miles on my 4x4, V6, 6 speed, 2006 Dakota. So far, (knock on wood), no problems. On road it drives like a car. Off-road, it does it's job well. It handles central Oregon snow great. It also crawls up central Oregon buttes with ease despite it's lower ground clearance. Not sure where the 20 MPG comes into play, but mine gets more like 15-17MPG, city/hwy respectively. My V6 feels under powered while accelerating to hwy speeds. I could rev it up to or past 3K rpms, but that cost money in fuel.

just bought my third dakota.
By dokotaguy22 on 01/02/12 21:26 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Dakota Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

great truck. i just traded in my 02 dakota sport quad cab 4x4 v8. for a 2006 dakota slt quad cab 4x4 v8. be for that a had a 95 sport 2wd. these trucks are tough. they can really take a beating. i live in wisconsin. we have rough winters. really wet rainy seasons. this truck can haddle any thing. i loved off roading in my 02. best 4x4 i have ever ownd. i pulled out some chevys. and a couple fords. this deer season. i highly recomend this truck if you do alot of out door activitys. or just want a good/safe winter vehical. very fun. very reliable. very powerfull. very best deal. none of the other compair. not even half of the full size trucks

does not honor warranty
By tuffoldman on 12/28/11 19:04 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Dakota Laramie 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 06 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with the 3.7 v6. I am overall satisfied with the truck, but not with Dodge itself. I bought my truck in Feb 07, important date: the transmission went out the other day so I looked up dodge warranty and found out that an extended warranty for the 06 dakota powertrain was provided if you bought your truck on or after July 07. 4 months from the day I bought mine Feb 07. So dodge eventhough it's the same year and all will not honor my warranty due to the 4 month difference on day of purchase. DODGE/CHRYSLER, I HAVE BOUGHT MY LAST VEHICLE FROM YOU AND WILL RECOMMEND TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY THE SAME. MAYBE THAT'S WHY THE JAPANESE ARE AHEAD OF US IN CUSTOMER SERVIC

2006 Dakota 4.7 V8 Q-Cab 4WD SLT w/upgrd
By Mike on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I just purchased a 2006 Dakota with 21,000 miles on it in great condition. I needed something that can tow in the future, but not a big truck. It only had 4-5,000 miles per year prior to purchase. It rides much better than I thought and has plenty of room inside. I prefer the plastic look everyone seems to hate, but its easier to clean. I recently got 24 mpg highway and get about 18 city. This is great for a truck. I am very happy I got a Dakota with 21,000 and not a Frontier or Tacoma with 100,000. They are priced too high. Tailgate is not heavy like others say, better get back to the gym.

Bought Used at 38K Miles
By UsedDakotaPickup on 09/08/10 22:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

All of you that complain about power on the 6cyl have Automatics? I have the 6 sp manual, and it has great power. Uphill, on the freeway, 65 mph in 5th gear, and still accelerating uphill. 6th gear is great for cruising on flat land, as an OD should be. Plenty of power in the V6 3.7 L here! Great Acceleration from a stop, and when you need it to really romp, taking it up to 3000RMP before shifting seems to do the trick for 1st through 3rd. I get on the freeway every morning and am holding it back by the end of the ramp, where I was still flooring my old rig! Just went through my first tank of gas. 50% town, 50% Freeway - 18 MPG. Great for a pickup, and better than most small trucks for average!

We call it Shake Rattle and Roll
By Stacy GA on 07/07/10 12:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This truck shakes. It vibrates. Took it back to the dealership 5 times in 5 months. Finally had to call Chrysler when the dealership became very rude with me. They didn't know what to do with it. It was still under the manufacturers warranty but they kept telling me it was brake issues and tire issues. Had all that replaced. Truck was still vibrating. They repaired some kind of axle shaft. Still vibrating. Put 4 new tires on it and turned the front rotors. Didn't vibrate for about 3 months. Now it's vibrating again. It's a piece of crap just because of this vibration that no one can make permanently go away.

Loved my 2006 Dakota
By Dakota Lover on 06/07/10 19:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I recently lost my 2006 Dodge Dakota 8- cylinder quad cab 2WD due to a weather related accident. But in the 3 1/2 years I owned my Dakota, I absolutely loved driving it every time I got behind the wheel; and had zero problems with it in the time I owned it. As I was so completely satisfied with my 2006 Dakota in the time I owned it, I wanted to post a post-ownership review for the benefit of those who are considering purchasing one. The only bit of advice I would have is to opt for the 4-wheel drive version, though, since the 2-wheel drive version is real-wheel drive.

impressive mpg
By aaron86004 on 05/15/10 02:49 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

i dont know why other people are complaining this truck has a v8 4x4 add acts like it... it has a lot better mpg than my 2000 ranger 4x4 3.o v6 (never got above 18 mpg) dakota never gets below 19.3 mpg v8 highway.... its a truck you will never get 30 mpg so stop complaining it has excellent gas mileage for a truck...

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.