Unsafe to tow with
By michaellrar on
2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)
Purchased this truck a year before I purchased the travel trailer I was going to pull behind it. Only made one trip with 24 foot travel trailer before parking the truck. Traveled from Little Rock, AR to Pigeon Forge, TN and back summer of 2006. It was the white knuckled trip from hell. The transmission and engine acted up the whole time I was pulling the trailer. Truck is rated for 7050 lbs and my trailer was 4000 lbs dry and 5100 lbs wet and loaded. Took it to the dealer 4 times to get it repaired. Each time they said there is nothing they could do. The 2008 model has the same engine but it is beefed up with more HP and torque but same towing limits. Hummm!
Favorite Features
Great vehicle for a little old lady to drive to the store and back. Great sounding engine while idling.
Suggested Improvements
Apparently they made some adjustments with the 2008 model since they screwed so many owners through 2007 with the wimpy engine and transmission. Gas mileage was only 6.9 mpg while towing and 18 mpg with driver and one passenger. This truck did not performed as guaranteed in the specs.