Used 2005 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

My '05 Dakota
By mike Lovrinoff

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab Laramie Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Dakota almost 2 yrs ago I drive a lot of highway miles. I find the Dakota stable at high speeds, comfortable, and the fuel economy at sustained speeds of 75mph not bad at 21mpg. I have the 6 cyl engine. It's not the peppiest engine but does an adequate job. (the Dakota does tip the scales at over 4,000lbs) The body is tight, the ride is smooth, and the bucket seats are comfortable for a big guy like me. My only complaint so far is that the the dashboard and radio lighting is inadequate in bright daylight. I can't read the letters and numbers on the radio! Overall the truck really is reliable, comfortable, and well put together

Comfortable interior, and the Sirius radio is great

Better lighting in the radio so I can read the info in bright daylight

Move over Toyota, Dodge Dakota is back..
By david autry

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Traded in a '96 Dakota with 189,000 miles. Dodge has been good to me, no trouble with ownership. 2005 Dakota is comfortably roomy and has power to move. Mileage on highway is 22.5. Love the design on the inside. It is bigger than the Tacoma. Love the satellite radio. 5 star crash test rating.

Love the power seat. Room on the inside. Comfort, power, and mileage.

Make a longbed

Great truck for my wife.
By Brett

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Laramie Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We do a lot of long distance trips and this has been one of the best, if not the best, vehicles we have purchased. We feel safe and comfortable but not overpowering as some of the large trucks appear. Visibility is great, handling is above average, and we have the power to do anything we would ever need a truck for, like pulling a trailer or boat. I like to do my own minor service and to see how well this truck is constructed underneath is impressive. A very well built truck that is very easy for me to work on. The interior room is the best of all competitors. What a truck! Thank you Dodge.

Leather seats, Alpine sound system. Large exterior mirrors. Great looks and abundant interior space.

Twin exhaust on HO V8

Used, but...
By bobbo1953

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I was looking for a new model Ford and saw this on the lot. It had only 10,000 miles on the odometer. I bought it after taking a half hour drive. The fit and finish were great and the power was more than adequate. I priced a new Dakota and was shocked at the amount they wanted for the same vehicle for 2007. I got a great bargain. It's red with chrome wheels and it's a head turner, even here in North Carolina where the state motto should be "Yeah it's a big truck". Thanks to the previous owner for trading in a real gem!

Comfort and power

Maybe a smoother idle

I want out!
By Bman

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

All in all, it's decent. I should have never leased. Having a quad cab pickup has come in handy a few times. I think the transmission shifts funny, but another guy at work says his does the same thing. Basically it gets poor fuel mileage and it's as heavy as a tank. Paint on the bed rails is bad. There are lines in the paint underneath the clearcoat. Door moulding is falling off. Took in for first oil change, service guy said I had a rear axle seal leak. this was at 2800 miles. They never called me back to tell me the part was in. Cheap and boring interior. But " I had to have it!" Terrible acceleration unless your foot is to the floor.

Handles well. Goes through the snow with no problem. That's about it.

Fuel mileage. The sticker reads 15 cty/ 20 hwy. The best I have acheived was 17 on a thruway road trip. My average is 15.