Used 2005 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Great truck for my wife.
By Brett

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Laramie Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We do a lot of long distance trips and this has been one of the best, if not the best, vehicles we have purchased. We feel safe and comfortable but not overpowering as some of the large trucks appear. Visibility is great, handling is above average, and we have the power to do anything we would ever need a truck for, like pulling a trailer or boat. I like to do my own minor service and to see how well this truck is constructed underneath is impressive. A very well built truck that is very easy for me to work on. The interior room is the best of all competitors. What a truck! Thank you Dodge.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, Alpine sound system. Large exterior mirrors. Great looks and abundant interior space.

Suggested Improvements

Twin exhaust on HO V8

Used, but...
By bobbo1953

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I was looking for a new model Ford and saw this on the lot. It had only 10,000 miles on the odometer. I bought it after taking a half hour drive. The fit and finish were great and the power was more than adequate. I priced a new Dakota and was shocked at the amount they wanted for the same vehicle for 2007. I got a great bargain. It's red with chrome wheels and it's a head turner, even here in North Carolina where the state motto should be "Yeah it's a big truck". Thanks to the previous owner for trading in a real gem!

Favorite Features

Comfort and power

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a smoother idle

I want out!
By Bman

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

All in all, it's decent. I should have never leased. Having a quad cab pickup has come in handy a few times. I think the transmission shifts funny, but another guy at work says his does the same thing. Basically it gets poor fuel mileage and it's as heavy as a tank. Paint on the bed rails is bad. There are lines in the paint underneath the clearcoat. Door moulding is falling off. Took in for first oil change, service guy said I had a rear axle seal leak. this was at 2800 miles. They never called me back to tell me the part was in. Cheap and boring interior. But " I had to have it!" Terrible acceleration unless your foot is to the floor.

Favorite Features

Handles well. Goes through the snow with no problem. That's about it.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage. The sticker reads 15 cty/ 20 hwy. The best I have acheived was 17 on a thruway road trip. My average is 15.

Think Twice at Least
By shooterschmidty

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I was atracted to the Dakota due to the low price but now wish I had spent a little more up front and bought a Frontier or Tacoma. It rides well around town and on the highway, but offroad it is very disapointing. The ground clearance stinks, and the approach angle is even worse. It needs at least another 2-3'' of suspension to be worthwhile offroad. Oh, and front tow hooks and skid shields aren't even standard on the 4X4.

Favorite Features

Fairly strong engine.

Suggested Improvements

Needs to sit higher off the ground.

1 year later
By BlackDak

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '05 Dakota about a year ago and after 24000 miles I have had no problems at all. Fuel mileage was about 18 hiway, before the exhaust and air intake changes, now it's about 20. Fun truck to drive and off road it does very well.

Favorite Features

Body styling

Suggested Improvements

Rear buckets and console instead of bench seat