2005 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Easy on the eyes, not bad on gas
By bill on 04/06/05 10:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Fun to look at and drive. The envy of all my friends who own trucks. Getting about 16.0mpg in the city. Only complaint is that the engine sometimes feels like it "lags". In other words through the mid gears you dont feel like you have alot of power on hand. Plenty of room on the inside. More than the competition.

Perfect new Dakota Styling
By BG MA on 04/04/05 01:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab ST 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Dodge really improved on the body styling for 2005....It's good to see that a reasonably priced truck can look better than what the other automakers are selling....I also had a 2000 Quad Cab 4x4 and never had a problem with it....

2005 Dodge Dakota
By Bill on 03/24/05 19:22 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Just bought the new model Dakota for 2005. I like the new look but wish the mileage was a bit better. This is not a commuter vehicle. I have detected a vibration at 60 MPH, and I hope the dealer can track that down for me. Beyond that, it is a fun truck to drive.

Dakota Laramie - Almost Purrrrfect!
By Bob531 on 03/19/05 01:35 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab Laramie 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a vehicle which would replace my Ford Ranger and my Monte Carlo - Enter my Dakaota Quad Cab! It's everything I need. It has the comfort and about twice the interior room of my car and about the same payload as my Ranger. I was a little unsure of getting the V-8 because of the gas mileage, but hearing those 8 cylinders purr as I'm cruising down the highway almost makes me think I'm back in the power days of the 60's!! And the gas mileage is within a gallon or so of the V6's!!

Dodge needs to rethink
By Tom on 03/18/05 11:30 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

When I purchased this truck I had visions of the continued performance and reliability I had experienced with my 2000 model Dakota Quad. Boy was I in for a suprise! The speedometer sticks, the steering & brake pedal squeak, the LCD of the radio is so dim it is almost impossible to read with sunglasses on during the day. The drink holder is located so far under the dash that anything larger than a 12oz. can will not fit. The 6 cyl. engine has reasonable power, but the transmission needs to be a 5 speed. The truck looks great, but the designers need to rework the interior, and the workmanship has fallen on hard times compared to the 2000 model I traded in. I am very disappointed.

Beats my Aurora hands down!
By Trucklover on 03/14/05 17:35 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I had held off purchasing a Dakota Club Cab until they came along with the rear access doors and am glad I waited. The Dakota is a perfectly sized pickup, fits in the garage okay, and love the V8 power. Also am planning to purchase a travel trailer, so I got the towing package too. Good value for the tow package. It's a sharp looking pickup and sounds great with the dual exhaust.

2005 Dokota
By Bill O on 03/13/05 15:34 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought My 2005 Dokota to replace a full size crew cab. It took a little adjustment to get use to smalled cab size because I am a big man. Only to be expected. I have adjusted and have found it to be comfortable. I live in a bad weather area so I got it with all wheel & 4 wheel drive which have worked great this winter. I also got the V8 & Tow package because I have a 5000 LB. boat. I pulled it 600 miles thru mountainous country. Seemed to handle it well.

Great choice
By Ernie on 03/04/05 20:09 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Laramie 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Definately a great choice in Value and style. Got the club cab and mucho room. Great power and nice interior. Sexy exterior.

BEST TRUCK EVER!
By zippy43 on 02/22/05 16:35 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second truck that I have owned and is a way better truck than my '96 Dakota. I was amazed at how well the truck rode more like a car and how the new V6 had better performance over the old 3.9L V6.

Hats off to the new Dakota
By korndawg on 02/19/05 02:43 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

It is time for the other truck manufacturers to take a look at the new Dakota, and see how a truck is supposed to be built. By far this is the best vehicle I have ever owned. The exterior looks excellent, and it doesn't even begin to compare to the interior. The perfect vehicle for anyone that has ever wanted to have a truck and a luxury car. The only downside is the amount of leg room (or lack thereof) in the back seats. I owned a 2001 Dakota before this, and while I loved that truck, it does not begin to compare to the 2005. For all the Dakota owners out there that are thinking about trading up for the newer model, I say go for it.