2005 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Used, but...
By bobbo1953 on 11/02/06 11:49 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I was looking for a new model Ford and saw this on the lot. It had only 10,000 miles on the odometer. I bought it after taking a half hour drive. The fit and finish were great and the power was more than adequate. I priced a new Dakota and was shocked at the amount they wanted for the same vehicle for 2007. I got a great bargain. It's red with chrome wheels and it's a head turner, even here in North Carolina where the state motto should be "Yeah it's a big truck". Thanks to the previous owner for trading in a real gem!

I want out!
By Bman on 10/17/06 13:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

All in all, it's decent. I should have never leased. Having a quad cab pickup has come in handy a few times. I think the transmission shifts funny, but another guy at work says his does the same thing. Basically it gets poor fuel mileage and it's as heavy as a tank. Paint on the bed rails is bad. There are lines in the paint underneath the clearcoat. Door moulding is falling off. Took in for first oil change, service guy said I had a rear axle seal leak. this was at 2800 miles. They never called me back to tell me the part was in. Cheap and boring interior. But " I had to have it!" Terrible acceleration unless your foot is to the floor.

Think Twice at Least
By shooterschmidty on 08/06/06 21:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I was atracted to the Dakota due to the low price but now wish I had spent a little more up front and bought a Frontier or Tacoma. It rides well around town and on the highway, but offroad it is very disapointing. The ground clearance stinks, and the approach angle is even worse. It needs at least another 2-3'' of suspension to be worthwhile offroad. Oh, and front tow hooks and skid shields aren't even standard on the 4X4.

1 year later
By BlackDak on 06/21/06 14:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '05 Dakota about a year ago and after 24000 miles I have had no problems at all. Fuel mileage was about 18 hiway, before the exhaust and air intake changes, now it's about 20. Fun truck to drive and off road it does very well.

The Right Truck
By Jake on 05/20/06 07:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great truck. It is the right size and power level. The interior is well thought out and is welcoming without detracting from the "truck- ness." The 2005's have a better warranty and are identical mechanically and almost identical visually. I have only had this truck for 1600 miles (about 2 1/2 months) and aside from a catalytic convertor problem that was promptly addressed it has been a strong runner. I was wanting a full-size but the gas on those is horrible and for all practical purposes, this truck can tow and haul the same as them (unless you have a massive boat or something at which point you would probably get a deisel) and isn't underpowered like the other midsize trucks.

My Dodge Dakota
By Mark on 05/17/06 12:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Laramie Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This truck has it all in one versatile package. I can haul 4 adults, a load in the bed and tow a large boat at the same time comfortably. I get decent fuel economy, 18 to 19 mpg in mixed driving but I stick to posted speeds mostly. My kids love the DVD system and the stereo is kicking.

A True Mid-Size in a class by itself
By Glen J on 03/28/06 07:09 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I am very happy with my Dakota! After owning a Ram for many years I was hesitant to downsize, but my wife didn't like driving fullsized trucks. The Dakota is a perfect compromise between the smaller competitors and full-size trucks; it has more room for the family, but is still easy to drive. It truly is in a class by itself and is often compared to the cramped feeling compact trucks that are not true Mid-size trucks. The Dakota can actually tow loads in the full-size range, it is heavy, solid, roomy, and has plenty of power (with the optional 4.7HO) to meet the needs of most. It has an aggressive look and nice interior. We have owned many Dodge vehicles and so far this is the best one yet.

Great Truck
By cwestbrook on 03/02/06 05:47 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I wish I would have opted for the V8 but this truck serves my purpose of light hauling and travel very well. There is a little drag in take off, but the truck rides as smoothly as it can and I have thoroughly enjoyed owning it.

My first Dodge
By Mike on 02/23/06 10:40 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

A loyal Ford truck person, I thought I would try something different.Price and research brought me to Dodge. So far, so good. A basic truck w/AC. My commute in L.A. takes me 86 miles round trip. Handle's well in traffic, although brakes are a little "spongy". I am impressed with what Dodge has done with the Dakota.

Honest
By nick on 01/31/06 17:48 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Good looking truck, paint excellent, fun to drive, like the way it sits with optional 265 tires, like tie down brackets in bed, very quiet on highway, good dash layout, great deal from dealer.