2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
No Ford! Dodge!
By chesman12 on 09/21/08 17:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought my '05 4wd Dakota 4 months ago. Love it on road- off road even more! Thought it was too low it crawled over everything like it was pavement! Reliability is awesome. Can take this truck ANYWHERE you can think up. 4lock works great- very impressed.First 4wd I've owned. Best overall mid-size truck on the market- roomy, comfortable, [even in the ext. part.]

112,000 & climbing
By Worm on 09/11/08 17:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

It's been a great truck for the work & travel that I do. Average 21.5 mpg with the V6. Still on the original tires, had the brakes done at 105,000 miles. Change the oil every 6,000 miles. The fronts needed replacement, the rears just needed adjustment. The only other thing that has been replaced was the ambient air sensor. Still has plenty of power in heavy traffic.

problem with tie rods
By db on 06/11/08 03:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab ST 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new. Currently has 21,000 miles on it. Have been very happy with it up to this point. However, recently began hearing scraping noise when turning. Thinking it was the brakes we took it to mechanic. Turns out it is the tie rod which needs to be replaced. Told not to drive it until repair is done because it is unsafe. This is totally unacceptable for a vehicle with so few miles on it. Expected much better quality from Dodge. Would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. I believe that having to put out major money on a repair like this for a vehicle with such low miles speaks volumes about Dodge quality.

Automatic transmission
By flagship on 05/22/08 11:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

No quality in the product. Chrysler and Flagship care less in selling the product. Got problems with the transmission; thus not fixing the problem. The extended warranty is a rip off do not buy it. I will tell every body is see to don't buy a Chrysler product. Is the first and the last. Good luck, Chrysler. Regarding Flag Ship will eventually go in bankruptcy

My truck
By meatman on 05/08/08 16:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Truck is solid all around. Fun to drive and looks sharp. Is not to good on gas for a 6 cylinder, and does need some more power under the hood. Great in mud and sand. Towing power is not to bad for the size of the truck.

My '05 Dakota
By mike Lovrinoff on 12/06/06 07:19 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab Laramie Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Dakota almost 2 yrs ago I drive a lot of highway miles. I find the Dakota stable at high speeds, comfortable, and the fuel economy at sustained speeds of 75mph not bad at 21mpg. I have the 6 cyl engine. It's not the peppiest engine but does an adequate job. (the Dakota does tip the scales at over 4,000lbs) The body is tight, the ride is smooth, and the bucket seats are comfortable for a big guy like me. My only complaint so far is that the the dashboard and radio lighting is inadequate in bright daylight. I can't read the letters and numbers on the radio! Overall the truck really is reliable, comfortable, and well put together

Used, but...
By bobbo1953 on 11/02/06 11:49 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I was looking for a new model Ford and saw this on the lot. It had only 10,000 miles on the odometer. I bought it after taking a half hour drive. The fit and finish were great and the power was more than adequate. I priced a new Dakota and was shocked at the amount they wanted for the same vehicle for 2007. I got a great bargain. It's red with chrome wheels and it's a head turner, even here in North Carolina where the state motto should be "Yeah it's a big truck". Thanks to the previous owner for trading in a real gem!

Think Twice at Least
By shooterschmidty on 08/06/06 21:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I was atracted to the Dakota due to the low price but now wish I had spent a little more up front and bought a Frontier or Tacoma. It rides well around town and on the highway, but offroad it is very disapointing. The ground clearance stinks, and the approach angle is even worse. It needs at least another 2-3'' of suspension to be worthwhile offroad. Oh, and front tow hooks and skid shields aren't even standard on the 4X4.

The Right Truck
By Jake on 05/20/06 07:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great truck. It is the right size and power level. The interior is well thought out and is welcoming without detracting from the "truck- ness." The 2005's have a better warranty and are identical mechanically and almost identical visually. I have only had this truck for 1600 miles (about 2 1/2 months) and aside from a catalytic convertor problem that was promptly addressed it has been a strong runner. I was wanting a full-size but the gas on those is horrible and for all practical purposes, this truck can tow and haul the same as them (unless you have a massive boat or something at which point you would probably get a deisel) and isn't underpowered like the other midsize trucks.

Great Truck
By cwestbrook on 03/02/06 05:47 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I wish I would have opted for the V8 but this truck serves my purpose of light hauling and travel very well. There is a little drag in take off, but the truck rides as smoothly as it can and I have thoroughly enjoyed owning it.