Used 2005 Dodge Dakota ST Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

I like it despite a sometimes jerky tran
By dodgeman

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Bought mine new. Love the look once i changed the wheels and tires out. The interior room is great. Only problem / complaint is with the transmission. Since 36K miles this trunk will from time to time jerk shifting from 1st to second. Comes and goes. Was worried at first but now with 77K miles not so worried. It is a guys truck. I like it.

Unsafe to tow with
By michaellrar

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased this truck a year before I purchased the travel trailer I was going to pull behind it. Only made one trip with 24 foot travel trailer before parking the truck. Traveled from Little Rock, AR to Pigeon Forge, TN and back summer of 2006. It was the white knuckled trip from hell. The transmission and engine acted up the whole time I was pulling the trailer. Truck is rated for 7050 lbs and my trailer was 4000 lbs dry and 5100 lbs wet and loaded. Took it to the dealer 4 times to get it repaired. Each time they said there is nothing they could do. The 2008 model has the same engine but it is beefed up with more HP and torque but same towing limits. Hummm!

Favorite Features

Great vehicle for a little old lady to drive to the store and back. Great sounding engine while idling.

Suggested Improvements

Apparently they made some adjustments with the 2008 model since they screwed so many owners through 2007 with the wimpy engine and transmission. Gas mileage was only 6.9 mpg while towing and 18 mpg with driver and one passenger. This truck did not performed as guaranteed in the specs.

Disappointed
By GDC

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this vehicle new. This is my third Dakota. This model is a big disappointment. The fuel tank had problems venting. This required several trips to dealer to repair. They finally replaced the tank. Two tires blown at low speed. The speedometer sticks when cold. Battery died with barely 20 months This unit has been in the shop for weeks during its many repair activities. This product has turned me away from considering any new Daimler or Chrysler products in the future due to the pathetic quality and service.

Favorite Features

Looks of vehicle. Size of vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The company could implement a quality improvement program that actually improves quality.

2005 Dakota Rocks
By paints98

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This is the third brand new Dodge Dakota I have owned in the last year. All three were bought brand new, the 2005 is by far the best of them all! It rides better, looks better and the new design is really awesome. I had some kinda of trouble with both of the 2004's, all minor in nature, but NONE with my 2005. The ride is really smooth, it handles great! I also like the head rests added to the back seats, for added safety. My first 2004 Dakota was totalled in a wreck when a lady crossed the center line & hit me, so I can really appreciate the added safety features.

Favorite Features

The new design, both inside and out is my favorite. I like that they added an outside cargo light as well. It just looks sharp and it stands out because the new design is "different" from other trucks. I love it!

Suggested Improvements

Under the rail bedliners should be standard on the 2005's like they were for the 2004's. The glove boxes should be a little more roomy & the passenger side air bag should still be able to be turneed off as in previous years. Other than that, nothing needs to be changed. It is a really awesome truck!!

Dodge
By Robert J. Darragh

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

When you sit inside you feel like your in a full size truck. The ride is great,and it handles very good.This is a great truck.The 4 doors are great, the back seats are great.The price of the full size trucks just shocked me when I was looking to buy. This listed for 23949.00 and I bought it for 21214.00 I paid that 10 years ago for a F-150 4x4 XL with no A/C. THE PRICE IS RIGHT compare to other trucks this size. And for a 4x2 It looks like a 4x4

Favorite Features

The heat is great,The chrome in the front of the truck looks really good. The space inside is great.The radio sounds great.

Suggested Improvements

I have none now It's to early to say.