Used 2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

great mid size with heart of a full size
By daveydoo

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Perfect size for urban areas. Has 4.7L with 5 speed transmission with normal maintenance is still strong. Returning 16.2 combined driving. With 138631 miles I had to replace front shocks and rebuild front suspension due to feeling floaty and steering no too crisp. Interior is perfect for four full size adults.

Favorite Features

Truck engine which means high torque aand built for heavy duty. Transmission is smooth and durable. Interior is comfortable. Made to last with proper maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap plastic in the interior. Seats durability

Not for the money
By ashbaugh

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 dodge 2 years ago. We have had nothing but trouble with it. The first thing that happened was that the gas gauge quit working, got it fixed now it only works half, yes have had it back to the garage to have fixed, they say nothing is wrong with the gas gauge. Now the newest thing to go wrong is the the 4 wheel drive is locking itself in and out. Took it to the garage they said it was the front controll module, had it fix, was that a lot of money. It is now back to doing the samething again and the garage says they cant find anything wrong with it. I will never own another dodge truck.

Sucks Gas!
By Rolle Bolle

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

To the Dodge Dakota Engineers, I would recommend this truck to anyone, but I won't because my 2005 V6 gets realistically about 11 miles per gallon. I've been told by every mechanic that there is nothing more they can do to improve it. I would upgrade to a newer model, but after 5 years of record high gas prices, you never improved the gas mileage. Get a clue!

Favorite Features

The Look and Feel.

Suggested Improvements

Bad Door Design! Fix the ice dam I get from the run-off of melted snow on the windshield, down through the doors. Less sharpness on the doors. They won't ding other car doors, they will puncture them!

Very dissapointed
By J&J NY

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this truck used as a lease turn in, we bought it 11/2009 w/ 28,000 miles, nothing on a car fax (seemed "clean"; w/ the remainder of a 7/70 warranty. It's 4 1/2 months later. This truck has been back to the dealership 9 (nine) different times, and a total of 31 (yes, thirty one) days! And is still not right, engine lights still come on (abs, air bag, service engine & brake lights); has absolutely no power for a v8 magnum (but likes its gas), steering feels "sticky" or jumpy. Dealer recommended us buying max care warranty, that costs over $2000. Thought about hiring a lawyer and going after a lemon law or something! I rate this Dodge Dakota slt quad cab at -0 outta 10!

Favorite Features

SLT so interior is pretty to look at, but we would Rather have a good dependable, worry free vehicle!

Suggested Improvements

Not sure, my suggestion we be for Chrysler to buy me a FORD and take this Dodge! Never again will we buy a Dodge!

Not real happy
By suparman

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have the 4.7 HO motor auto trans and tow package truck was great for 4 months off of the dealers lot. then had lots of issues gets 10 miles to the gallon at 50 k miles the cats are bad fuel pump broke. not real happy with it. I bought the truck to support domestic companies but I am not going to make that mistake again.

Favorite Features

the infinity sound system is great and good power out of the big motor

Suggested Improvements

engineering should be a lot better build quality is horrible