2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Not for the money
By ashbaugh on 08/23/12 16:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 dodge 2 years ago. We have had nothing but trouble with it. The first thing that happened was that the gas gauge quit working, got it fixed now it only works half, yes have had it back to the garage to have fixed, they say nothing is wrong with the gas gauge. Now the newest thing to go wrong is the the 4 wheel drive is locking itself in and out. Took it to the garage they said it was the front controll module, had it fix, was that a lot of money. It is now back to doing the samething again and the garage says they cant find anything wrong with it. I will never own another dodge truck.

Sucks Gas!
By Rolle Bolle on 07/19/10 14:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

To the Dodge Dakota Engineers, I would recommend this truck to anyone, but I won't because my 2005 V6 gets realistically about 11 miles per gallon. I've been told by every mechanic that there is nothing more they can do to improve it. I would upgrade to a newer model, but after 5 years of record high gas prices, you never improved the gas mileage. Get a clue!

Very dissapointed
By J&J NY on 04/11/10 15:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this truck used as a lease turn in, we bought it 11/2009 w/ 28,000 miles, nothing on a car fax (seemed "clean"; w/ the remainder of a 7/70 warranty. It's 4 1/2 months later. This truck has been back to the dealership 9 (nine) different times, and a total of 31 (yes, thirty one) days! And is still not right, engine lights still come on (abs, air bag, service engine & brake lights); has absolutely no power for a v8 magnum (but likes its gas), steering feels "sticky" or jumpy. Dealer recommended us buying max care warranty, that costs over $2000. Thought about hiring a lawyer and going after a lemon law or something! I rate this Dodge Dakota slt quad cab at -0 outta 10!

Not real happy
By suparman on 04/06/10 16:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have the 4.7 HO motor auto trans and tow package truck was great for 4 months off of the dealers lot. then had lots of issues gets 10 miles to the gallon at 50 k miles the cats are bad fuel pump broke. not real happy with it. I bought the truck to support domestic companies but I am not going to make that mistake again.

I like it despite a sometimes jerky tran
By dodgeman on 12/16/09 09:23 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Bought mine new. Love the look once i changed the wheels and tires out. The interior room is great. Only problem / complaint is with the transmission. Since 36K miles this trunk will from time to time jerk shifting from 1st to second. Comes and goes. Was worried at first but now with 77K miles not so worried. It is a guys truck. I like it.

I messed up this time
By L. Duke on 11/02/08 20:07 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Laramie Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

As much a Dodge fan that I am, this is not looking good. I have a vibration problem, the suspension is very soft, the front end pulls and clunks. I am very dissatisfied, and this will probably be my last Dodge.

Unsafe to tow with
By michaellrar on 04/27/08 13:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased this truck a year before I purchased the travel trailer I was going to pull behind it. Only made one trip with 24 foot travel trailer before parking the truck. Traveled from Little Rock, AR to Pigeon Forge, TN and back summer of 2006. It was the white knuckled trip from hell. The transmission and engine acted up the whole time I was pulling the trailer. Truck is rated for 7050 lbs and my trailer was 4000 lbs dry and 5100 lbs wet and loaded. Took it to the dealer 4 times to get it repaired. Each time they said there is nothing they could do. The 2008 model has the same engine but it is beefed up with more HP and torque but same towing limits. Hummm!

will never ever buy again!
By middletown n.y. on 04/12/08 16:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

After 36,000 miles transmission went. Dealer fixed, went again, dealer fixed, went again dealer replaced. 6 months later transmission hose is leaking, EGR went, engine light on. Front suspension bushings gone no offroading so it squeaks all the way home, oh 1 more thing drivers side window just stopped working. Very bad investment!

Brake Issues since buying
By Rob on 04/10/08 00:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have had nothing but problems with my '05 Dakota. I bought it used with 20,000 in April, 2007. I had problems with the brakes from the start. The dealer replaced the pads and machined the rotors in May, 2007. I have not put 8,000 miles on the pads and they are almost GONE!!!! I believe it is the calipers. They are not releasing and my pads are running on the rotors while I am driving. The brake dust on my wheels is incredible!!! I brought it to one dealer and they said the calipers were working fine. I am still covered by the factory warranty and they are giving me the run around. How else would brand new pads be worn completely down after less than 8,000 miles? Stay away from this truck!!

Not Bad - Could be better
By Jason on 02/04/08 18:09 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Truck is great for storage, hauling (pulls my 20' boat with no problem), and has decent get up and go. Suspension is questionable. I just replace the tierod ends for the 2nd time since purchasing. Rear stabilizer bars need work also. Ground clearance is also a concern for a pickup. Fuel economy is worse than a lot of full-size trucks. I get roughly 13.5 in city and 16.5 on the highway if I am lucky.