Used 2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

2005 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4WD (3.7L)
By Bill Smith

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck for 5 years now. Picked it up used threw brand new set of michelins on it and was set. I like the truck due to the high feeling in the truck even though its not. I got the 6 Cylinder not expecting good performance and better gas mileage. The 4WD works terrific and the motor is in great shape. One thing i have noticed with these dakotas is the right rear fender rusts. The only money i have put into the truck is oil changes, brakes, sound system, and gas. i enjoy the truck like you would want to. Now to the negative side. The trans has started to act up like a year ago. It slips every now and then but is not bad atleast yet. 6 months ago i put this substance to help the trans and i havent felt it slip yet. I dont have a v8 but my point of view if your going for a v8 just get the full size. i can still tow my trailer and have tools in the back. Now it would be nice if i could get the long bed. I may have a long bed fabricated in. Ive seen a review complaining about gas mileage. What do you expect with a v8?

05 Dodge Dakota 4.3 v8 4x4
By Jason Landen

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Pos transmission has gone out 3 times in 4 years. I will not pay to have it "fixed" again.

Driving 2005 Dakota 4x4 QuadCab 8 Years
By cool_breeze1

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I would call this an average vehicle with average performance and average reliability. Gas mileage, performance, comfort, reliability not awful but not great, mostly in the middle leaning towards the better side.

I have the towing package and hear that the truck is great for its size, however I have never towed with it, owned it since 2007 and do not know whether previous owner towed. MPG has crept down over the years to around 14 city, 18 highway - wish that I had purchased the 8 cyl since the day I got this one, as the smaller engine has made no difference in mileage but a lot of difference in fun, 8 is better. Average maintenance, minor warranty work on heater fan motor, OK truck.

I like that it has held its value more than most of my other vehicles, high-demand for used light trucks so I haven't lost any money for 4 years on the value. Towing is touted to be exceptional, I have not towed but may start this summer. Very roomy and comfortable inside for a family of 4 which is why I bought the quad cab - the 4-door design is great for putting kids in the back, roomy enough for adults in the back too. Nice cosmetic design, I like the looks, burgundy color (I believe they call it oxblood) is nice. Maintenance is easy, equipment is easy to reach, parts are readily-available and not very expensive to replace.

4WD requires 4-wheel alignment, seems to go out of alignment frequently and will chew through tires in 10,000 miles if you don't stay after it. Keep it clean if you live in the north, salt will eat it up. Most design is good, but my peeve is the glove box - absolutely tiny and useless - why Dodge, why? Plenty of room in the cab to make it bigger. The 6cyl is waaaaay underpowered and pointless - save no MPG over the 8cyl, so what is the point? Decent average truck, but 6cyl engine choice is not the way to go if you are buying one.

great mid size with heart of a full size
By daveydoo

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Perfect size for urban areas. Has 4.7L with 5 speed transmission with normal maintenance is still strong. Returning 16.2 combined driving. With 138631 miles I had to replace front shocks and rebuild front suspension due to feeling floaty and steering no too crisp. Interior is perfect for four full size adults.

Truck engine which means high torque aand built for heavy duty. Transmission is smooth and durable. Interior is comfortable. Made to last with proper maintenance.

Cheap plastic in the interior. Seats durability

Not for the money
By ashbaugh

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 dodge 2 years ago. We have had nothing but trouble with it. The first thing that happened was that the gas gauge quit working, got it fixed now it only works half, yes have had it back to the garage to have fixed, they say nothing is wrong with the gas gauge. Now the newest thing to go wrong is the the 4 wheel drive is locking itself in and out. Took it to the garage they said it was the front controll module, had it fix, was that a lot of money. It is now back to doing the samething again and the garage says they cant find anything wrong with it. I will never own another dodge truck.