Used 2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Driving 2005 Dakota 4x4 QuadCab 8 Years
By cool_breeze1

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I would call this an average vehicle with average performance and average reliability. Gas mileage, performance, comfort, reliability not awful but not great, mostly in the middle leaning towards the better side. I have the towing package and hear that the truck is great for its size, however I have never towed with it, owned it since 2007 and do not know whether previous owner towed. MPG has crept down over the years to around 14 city, 18 highway - wish that I had purchased the 8 cyl since the day I got this one, as the smaller engine has made no difference in mileage but a lot of difference in fun, 8 is better. Average maintenance, minor warranty work on heater fan motor, OK truck.

Favorite Features

I like that it has held its value more than most of my other vehicles, high-demand for used light trucks so I haven't lost any money for 4 years on the value. Towing is touted to be exceptional, I have not towed but may start this summer. Very roomy and comfortable inside for a family of 4 which is why I bought the quad cab - the 4-door design is great for putting kids in the back, roomy enough for adults in the back too. Nice cosmetic design, I like the looks, burgundy color (I believe they call it oxblood) is nice. Maintenance is easy, equipment is easy to reach, parts are readily-available and not very expensive to replace.

Suggested Improvements

4WD requires 4-wheel alignment, seems to go out of alignment frequently and will chew through tires in 10,000 miles if you don't stay after it. Keep it clean if you live in the north, salt will eat it up. Most design is good, but my peeve is the glove box - absolutely tiny and useless - why Dodge, why? Plenty of room in the cab to make it bigger. The 6cyl is waaaaay underpowered and pointless - save no MPG over the 8cyl, so what is the point? Decent average truck, but 6cyl engine choice is not the way to go if you are buying one.

great mid size with heart of a full size
By daveydoo

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Perfect size for urban areas. Has 4.7L with 5 speed transmission with normal maintenance is still strong. Returning 16.2 combined driving. With 138631 miles I had to replace front shocks and rebuild front suspension due to feeling floaty and steering no too crisp. Interior is perfect for four full size adults.

Favorite Features

Truck engine which means high torque aand built for heavy duty. Transmission is smooth and durable. Interior is comfortable. Made to last with proper maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap plastic in the interior. Seats durability

Not for the money
By ashbaugh

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 dodge 2 years ago. We have had nothing but trouble with it. The first thing that happened was that the gas gauge quit working, got it fixed now it only works half, yes have had it back to the garage to have fixed, they say nothing is wrong with the gas gauge. Now the newest thing to go wrong is the the 4 wheel drive is locking itself in and out. Took it to the garage they said it was the front controll module, had it fix, was that a lot of money. It is now back to doing the samething again and the garage says they cant find anything wrong with it. I will never own another dodge truck.

Sucks Gas!
By Rolle Bolle

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

To the Dodge Dakota Engineers, I would recommend this truck to anyone, but I won't because my 2005 V6 gets realistically about 11 miles per gallon. I've been told by every mechanic that there is nothing more they can do to improve it. I would upgrade to a newer model, but after 5 years of record high gas prices, you never improved the gas mileage. Get a clue!

Favorite Features

The Look and Feel.

Suggested Improvements

Bad Door Design! Fix the ice dam I get from the run-off of melted snow on the windshield, down through the doors. Less sharpness on the doors. They won't ding other car doors, they will puncture them!

Very dissapointed
By J&J NY

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this truck used as a lease turn in, we bought it 11/2009 w/ 28,000 miles, nothing on a car fax (seemed "clean"; w/ the remainder of a 7/70 warranty. It's 4 1/2 months later. This truck has been back to the dealership 9 (nine) different times, and a total of 31 (yes, thirty one) days! And is still not right, engine lights still come on (abs, air bag, service engine & brake lights); has absolutely no power for a v8 magnum (but likes its gas), steering feels "sticky" or jumpy. Dealer recommended us buying max care warranty, that costs over $2000. Thought about hiring a lawyer and going after a lemon law or something! I rate this Dodge Dakota slt quad cab at -0 outta 10!

Favorite Features

SLT so interior is pretty to look at, but we would Rather have a good dependable, worry free vehicle!

Suggested Improvements

Not sure, my suggestion we be for Chrysler to buy me a FORD and take this Dodge! Never again will we buy a Dodge!