Used 2005 Dodge Dakota SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

great mid size with heart of a full size
By daveydoo

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Perfect size for urban areas. Has 4.7L with 5 speed transmission with normal maintenance is still strong. Returning 16.2 combined driving. With 138631 miles I had to replace front shocks and rebuild front suspension due to feeling floaty and steering no too crisp. Interior is perfect for four full size adults.

Favorite Features

Truck engine which means high torque aand built for heavy duty. Transmission is smooth and durable. Interior is comfortable. Made to last with proper maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap plastic in the interior. Seats durability

Sucks Gas!
By Rolle Bolle

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

To the Dodge Dakota Engineers, I would recommend this truck to anyone, but I won't because my 2005 V6 gets realistically about 11 miles per gallon. I've been told by every mechanic that there is nothing more they can do to improve it. I would upgrade to a newer model, but after 5 years of record high gas prices, you never improved the gas mileage. Get a clue!

Favorite Features

The Look and Feel.

Suggested Improvements

Bad Door Design! Fix the ice dam I get from the run-off of melted snow on the windshield, down through the doors. Less sharpness on the doors. They won't ding other car doors, they will puncture them!

Brake Issues since buying
By Rob

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have had nothing but problems with my '05 Dakota. I bought it used with 20,000 in April, 2007. I had problems with the brakes from the start. The dealer replaced the pads and machined the rotors in May, 2007. I have not put 8,000 miles on the pads and they are almost GONE!!!! I believe it is the calipers. They are not releasing and my pads are running on the rotors while I am driving. The brake dust on my wheels is incredible!!! I brought it to one dealer and they said the calipers were working fine. I am still covered by the factory warranty and they are giving me the run around. How else would brand new pads be worn completely down after less than 8,000 miles? Stay away from this truck!!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Brakes! Brakes! Brakes!

Tough. Period.
By theRock

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This is a 2wd 4.7 v8 auto w/3.55 rear SLT. No problems, at 29k replaced w/17" plus size rims and tires from Laramie Ram 1500. Much better ride quality after that as well as slight increase of apx. 3/4 mpg. This is very basic engineered as a truck should be, although front end design is far superior to previous trucks. It is tough, muscle like in design. I have made a few mods such as duel exh., chip, intake, all very subtle changes. Great to park vs. full size, huge towing capability. Engine is happy to 'scream' at times. Quick for 4000 lb. truck. Excellent room inside (two huge kids fit great back there).

Favorite Features

Engine is fantastic. Looks are cutting edge. I can scare the hell out of any truck on the road.

Content in CT
By Neil in CT

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this vehicle for almost 2 years and I am very happy with my choice. It has been reliable and it drives really well for a pickup truck. The only downfalls about this truck are gas mileage and the cheap looking plastic interior. Although the gas mileage is not very good, I realize that pickup trucks are not the most economical vehicles on the road anyway. I also like the interior room and the Quad cab is a big bonus. Overall, I would recommend this vehicle to anyone interested in a mid-size pickup.

Favorite Features

Quiet and comfortable ride. Interior room with the Quad Cab. Easy to use controls. Exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

Need to upgrade interior, Improve gas mileage