2005 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Sucks Gas!
By Rolle Bolle on 07/19/10 14:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

To the Dodge Dakota Engineers, I would recommend this truck to anyone, but I won't because my 2005 V6 gets realistically about 11 miles per gallon. I've been told by every mechanic that there is nothing more they can do to improve it. I would upgrade to a newer model, but after 5 years of record high gas prices, you never improved the gas mileage. Get a clue!

Brake Issues since buying
By Rob on 04/10/08 00:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have had nothing but problems with my '05 Dakota. I bought it used with 20,000 in April, 2007. I had problems with the brakes from the start. The dealer replaced the pads and machined the rotors in May, 2007. I have not put 8,000 miles on the pads and they are almost GONE!!!! I believe it is the calipers. They are not releasing and my pads are running on the rotors while I am driving. The brake dust on my wheels is incredible!!! I brought it to one dealer and they said the calipers were working fine. I am still covered by the factory warranty and they are giving me the run around. How else would brand new pads be worn completely down after less than 8,000 miles? Stay away from this truck!!

Tough. Period.
By theRock on 07/22/07 19:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This is a 2wd 4.7 v8 auto w/3.55 rear SLT. No problems, at 29k replaced w/17" plus size rims and tires from Laramie Ram 1500. Much better ride quality after that as well as slight increase of apx. 3/4 mpg. This is very basic engineered as a truck should be, although front end design is far superior to previous trucks. It is tough, muscle like in design. I have made a few mods such as duel exh., chip, intake, all very subtle changes. Great to park vs. full size, huge towing capability. Engine is happy to 'scream' at times. Quick for 4000 lb. truck. Excellent room inside (two huge kids fit great back there).

Content in CT
By Neil in CT on 05/13/07 10:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this vehicle for almost 2 years and I am very happy with my choice. It has been reliable and it drives really well for a pickup truck. The only downfalls about this truck are gas mileage and the cheap looking plastic interior. Although the gas mileage is not very good, I realize that pickup trucks are not the most economical vehicles on the road anyway. I also like the interior room and the Quad cab is a big bonus. Overall, I would recommend this vehicle to anyone interested in a mid-size pickup.

I love this truck
By SixSpeedJunkie on 04/12/07 16:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This truck is my first new vehicle, and it has turned out to be exactly what I wanted and needed. I have the six speed manual transmission which I love, sports package, and I got it in 2 wheel drive. The gas mileage is terrible, at 16mpg being the best I have gotten, but it's hard to stay off the gas when driving a truck that is this much fun.

Good car, bad truck
By Nic on 04/05/07 09:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This is the least offroad capable four wheel drive truck I have ever used. The four wheel drive basically has a two wheel drive suspension that makes it sit so low to the ground that the ground clearance, approach angle and departure angle are most car-like than truck-like. If you never plan to leave the the road it is a capable vehicle that rides well, is comfortable, and tows well, but if you do avoid this truck like the plague.

Move over Toyota, Dodge Dakota is back..
By david autry on 11/19/06 16:36 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Traded in a '96 Dakota with 189,000 miles. Dodge has been good to me, no trouble with ownership. 2005 Dakota is comfortably roomy and has power to move. Mileage on highway is 22.5. Love the design on the inside. It is bigger than the Tacoma. Love the satellite radio. 5 star crash test rating.

I want out!
By Bman on 10/17/06 13:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

All in all, it's decent. I should have never leased. Having a quad cab pickup has come in handy a few times. I think the transmission shifts funny, but another guy at work says his does the same thing. Basically it gets poor fuel mileage and it's as heavy as a tank. Paint on the bed rails is bad. There are lines in the paint underneath the clearcoat. Door moulding is falling off. Took in for first oil change, service guy said I had a rear axle seal leak. this was at 2800 miles. They never called me back to tell me the part was in. Cheap and boring interior. But " I had to have it!" Terrible acceleration unless your foot is to the floor.

Great Truck
By Eric on 10/19/05 00:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I got this truck on my 18th birthday. I love it! Comfortable ride, dependable, V-6 -has plenty of power, smooth look. Chrome definitely looks nice on this truck. The interior could use a little work, but nothing major. Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase. I also looked at the Colorado, and I am very satisfied with my decision. I recommend buying.

Gasoholic
By Gasaholic on 10/07/05 14:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the truck new. Had a weird road noise. After the 3rd trip back to the dealer they found a steel belt had seperated from one of the rear tires. Gas mileage is 15.4 on the highway. Dealer says engine needs to be broken in 5000 miles ha ha. I hate it and wish I had my F150 back.