2005 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Not the best, Not the worst
By 350rocket on 06/22/13 21:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have the 3.7 with just over 80,000 miles. it runs phenomenally considering the amount of torture ive put it through. It does lack power and torque. however, it is a reliable vehicle. the 4x4 to be quite honest should be used strictly for what it was designed and not mud running. I get just over 11 miles to a gallon, which is disappointing but, again this thing just keeps running. The only real issues Ive came across are having to replace the entire front suspension and all four o2 sensors. I highly recommend that if you are to own one of these trucks especially the 2005 that you have advanced knowledge in mechanics, otherwise you might as well just give your paycheck the garage.

Dakota drivetrain quality
By ezcc on 04/04/13 07:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab ST 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

The driveshaft that couples the front axle to the transfer case is ungreaseable and only lasts about 75000 miles the rear axles splines break and need to be replaced before 100000miles and the auto trans will be due for a rebuild at around a 100000 also, This all happens even if you change fluids and do maintenance as recommended in owners manual. This are very light duty vehicles, not really trucks as far my definition of truck goes.

I really want to love this truck but I can't
By hoogoosedmoose on 09/10/12 12:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new in the summer of 2005. there was a year end clearance sale and I got a good deal on it. V8 engine, 4 wheel drive, very comfortable seats and drives and handles well. The plastic used on the doors is ultra cheap however, the dash is a little better but not much. having 4 wheel drive for ohio winters is nice, this is not a truck made for heavy 4 wheeling. I knew that buying it though. I cant get over 15mpg no matter what I do. for what the mileage is it should have a lot more low end grunt. that and a lot of times the transmission feels like its in the wrong gear a lot. like it should downshift faster when hitting the gas

Not for the money
By ashbaugh on 08/23/12 16:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 dodge 2 years ago. We have had nothing but trouble with it. The first thing that happened was that the gas gauge quit working, got it fixed now it only works half, yes have had it back to the garage to have fixed, they say nothing is wrong with the gas gauge. Now the newest thing to go wrong is the the 4 wheel drive is locking itself in and out. Took it to the garage they said it was the front controll module, had it fix, was that a lot of money. It is now back to doing the samething again and the garage says they cant find anything wrong with it. I will never own another dodge truck.

Sucks Gas!
By Rolle Bolle on 07/19/10 14:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

To the Dodge Dakota Engineers, I would recommend this truck to anyone, but I won't because my 2005 V6 gets realistically about 11 miles per gallon. I've been told by every mechanic that there is nothing more they can do to improve it. I would upgrade to a newer model, but after 5 years of record high gas prices, you never improved the gas mileage. Get a clue!

No More Chrysler Trucks for me!
By No More Chrysler on 04/16/10 05:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new. I have the V8. Mileage is terrible even for a truck. Now have 60k miles on and have had it in the shop numerous times for front end problems. Drive train is also noisy. Terrible acceleration. A white knuckle towing machine! (Don't do it!)

Very dissapointed
By J&J NY on 04/11/10 15:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this truck used as a lease turn in, we bought it 11/2009 w/ 28,000 miles, nothing on a car fax (seemed "clean"; w/ the remainder of a 7/70 warranty. It's 4 1/2 months later. This truck has been back to the dealership 9 (nine) different times, and a total of 31 (yes, thirty one) days! And is still not right, engine lights still come on (abs, air bag, service engine & brake lights); has absolutely no power for a v8 magnum (but likes its gas), steering feels "sticky" or jumpy. Dealer recommended us buying max care warranty, that costs over $2000. Thought about hiring a lawyer and going after a lemon law or something! I rate this Dodge Dakota slt quad cab at -0 outta 10!

Not real happy
By suparman on 04/06/10 16:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have the 4.7 HO motor auto trans and tow package truck was great for 4 months off of the dealers lot. then had lots of issues gets 10 miles to the gallon at 50 k miles the cats are bad fuel pump broke. not real happy with it. I bought the truck to support domestic companies but I am not going to make that mistake again.

decent truck
By chris on 01/14/10 19:55 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

over all its been a good truck it is what i expected from a mid size truck i have had it 5 years only one problem at 20000 miles the tie rods went bad that was a little disappointing to have that happen so soon especially when i never use it off road and the paint jobs are very poorly done scratches easily

I like it despite a sometimes jerky tran
By dodgeman on 12/16/09 09:23 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Bought mine new. Love the look once i changed the wheels and tires out. The interior room is great. Only problem / complaint is with the transmission. Since 36K miles this trunk will from time to time jerk shifting from 1st to second. Comes and goes. Was worried at first but now with 77K miles not so worried. It is a guys truck. I like it.