Used 2004 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Excellent truck!!
By terry jenkins

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

20k miles now and havent had to take back to dealer one time! Rides like a car and has adequate power for commuting. It pulls my 17ft bass boat with ease. Gas mileage not too bad with v-6, I improved it to 23 overall by adding k&n filter and using synthetic oil. I hope to keep this truck along time so reliability is extremely important and time will tell if it can go the distance that I expect from my vehicles??? Good value for the money. A Toyota Tacoma with similar options would have been 5k more!!

Favorite Features

Progressive stying, good ride and responsive handling.

Suggested Improvements

Put in a better stereo system, and v- 6. Could use a little more HP without affecting gas mileage??

Love This Truck!
By Mark

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I was skeptical when I let my wife talk me into this - I was looking for a high gas mileage import. She knew I'd always liked the looks. Once I drove it I was hooked. I have the 4.7 V8 & 5sp. I average 17/gal for my commute and 19+ on the road (my best is 19.85). Great for this truck. I have had nothing but great experience from my dealer. I had a heater hose leak (there was a service bulletin on it) and they offered to replace the carpet if I wanted! I am now getting into a carpool because of the gas prices, but I NEED the truck. It is a great vehicle. Easy & fun to drive and comfortable on the road. The family likes it better than anything else we've owned.

Favorite Features

Flip up rear seats, driveability, seating position, looks, ergs. Great milage for a V8.

Suggested Improvements

Better placement of cupholders (w/the 5 sp), one is too far under the dash and the other gets hit with the shifter. Shorter shift throw. Better stereo. This in the console get lost because it's so deep and there are no seperate compartments.

Dakota
By dsatlle

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Overall, the vehicle is about what I expected. When traveling over bumps or potholes the vehicle jumps off the front tires. it feels really dangerous so I'm not happy with the way it handles.The passenger seat does not recline to a comfortable position on long trips, not even half way to 180 degrees, it can be quite uncomfortable. The brakes started squeaking at about 16,000 miles and I have not had them checked, hoping that the dust works itself out without the dealer arming and legging me to take care of it. BTW, I bought a oil change coupon book from the dealer and they are always wanting to do unnecessary work, so beware. Other than oil changes I have done no other maintenance.

Favorite Features

Feels like you're in a cockpit with a small windshield. Nice simple interior dash.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the comfort of the seats by allowing them to FULLY recline.

Lemon
By Brandon

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This truck has given me trouble from day one, literally! It is a beautiful truck, but has had extensive computer, power steering, transmission, and recently, parking brake issues. Chrysler is not standing behind this truck, and the computer problem cannot be completely fixed, as I am still experiencing the same problems and 13- 14mpg all around...sounds good for a little 3.7L engine, huh? Needless to say, I will never buy another Chrysler product again. Neither will my Dodge-owning family, in which there has been a total of 11 new Dodge products owned. Thanks Chrysler!!

Favorite Features

Exterior design, price, and overall appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Front suspension and steering (went completely loose on me around 16,000 miles. Chrysler...stand behind your products!

Love this truck!
By Christopher

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport Plus 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I've driven it in all weather conditions, on and off road, and it has taken it in stride. I moved to Florida and packed the biggest U-haul trailer to the gills and put my motorcycle in the bed. I think I could have added on another trailer full! The convenience of the four doors makes it even better. It's too bad Dodge made the new one so ugly!

Favorite Features

I like the overhead console and its many features: programable garage door opener, gas mileage, temperature, miles to go until empty, compass...it's cool!

Suggested Improvements

I can't say it needs any improvement. Maybe the gas mileage...but what do you want from a V8?