Used 2004 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

So Far, So Good
By terry jenkins

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Well I just returned from a long trip and I averaged 26mpg from the 3.7LT! Not bad considering that others are paying close to 40k$ for hybrid SUVs that donít get that!

The V-6! 4 wheel disc brakes

Daimler needs to offer a diesel engine in the Dakota! They have a 3.2 liter diesel that they put in the Mercedes vehicles. It gets over 30mpg and has 369ftlbs of torque. I would buy one tomorrow and so would many others that still think a real truck should be able to pull stumps up and sound tough!

Very happy
By Pjamas

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This is our second Dakota, and very happy. 1st was a 2002 and am even happier with the 2004. Has needed no work other than normal maintenance and has always given me all the power I could need or want. There is tons of room in quad cab. We have two car seats in there with no problems and the back (with a cap) is great for towing strollers and such. Have fit three car seats, but wouldn't for everyday use. Truck still has lots of power for when we need to use it as a truck though. Have towed many things includling 15ft boats and even small exacvators with no problem. Nice to have a mid size for when you need the power sometimes but not everyday to justify a full-size.

Size. power, appearance, comfortable.

Great for trailer towing & fun
By larry Maddox

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I have a 26-ft travel trailer we pull 4-5,000 miles per year. This truck is great. Also, driving around town is fun. No mechanichal problems or warranty issues. This truck is our 4th Dakota and we plan to have many more.

Club cab plenty of room up front, fits 3 grandkids in back jumpseat, cargo bed has plenty of room without going to a full size truck

Factory tires are the worst (Goodyear Wrangler) they won't last.

My 2004 Dakota
By Danny Cole Sr.

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This is a fun truck to drive. I have the 3.7litre V6 with 5 speed transmission. This truck does respond very good with the V6 engine The comfort is good with enough room to seat myself and my wife comfortably. We enjoy this truck. And we like the body style.

The V6 engine 210 hp, the center console has depth to put things in, the big numbers on the speedometer and gauges.

None at this moment.

Great truck, buy the extra warranty
By Mike Jewett

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Everything about the truck, performance-wise, is top-notch. Power, handling, towing, cargo capacity, etc. MPG is 12-15, but it's a truck, not a Camry. Easier to park than a full-size, but hauls just as much. 4x4 works great, even if the ground clearance is minimal. The only things to consider before buying are cost issues, namely gas and maintenance. It weighs 4500LBS, so you'll replace brake pads every 25K. Fill up the tank every 200 -250mi. Also, find a nice 5-star dealer. I've seen a lot of reviews knocking Dodge dealers, and, just like any business, some will be good, some will be lame. Also, it's really worth it to roll an 85K warranty into your finance plan.

V8 power, 4x4, styling, lack of peripheral bolt-on crap (Tacoma hood scoops, Ford bedrails, etc.), clears 32" tires with no lift, carries 2 people and gear for a month, or 5 people in a pinch, fact. Inifnity stereo is nice, if lacking bass

Lousy brake rotor design (you'll replace a lot of these) leads to frequent pad changing (these too). Front torsion-bar suspension sags and is difficult to lift or modify. General QC issues I've had include defective steering pump, bad swaybar bushings, bad leaf springs.