Used 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

So Far, So Good
By terry jenkins

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Well I just returned from a long trip and I averaged 26mpg from the 3.7LT! Not bad considering that others are paying close to 40k$ for hybrid SUVs that donít get that!

Favorite Features

The V-6! 4 wheel disc brakes

Suggested Improvements

Daimler needs to offer a diesel engine in the Dakota! They have a 3.2 liter diesel that they put in the Mercedes vehicles. It gets over 30mpg and has 369ftlbs of torque. I would buy one tomorrow and so would many others that still think a real truck should be able to pull stumps up and sound tough!

Very happy
By Pjamas

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This is our second Dakota, and very happy. 1st was a 2002 and am even happier with the 2004. Has needed no work other than normal maintenance and has always given me all the power I could need or want. There is tons of room in quad cab. We have two car seats in there with no problems and the back (with a cap) is great for towing strollers and such. Have fit three car seats, but wouldn't for everyday use. Truck still has lots of power for when we need to use it as a truck though. Have towed many things includling 15ft boats and even small exacvators with no problem. Nice to have a mid size for when you need the power sometimes but not everyday to justify a full-size.

Favorite Features

Size. power, appearance, comfortable.

Excellent truck!!
By terry jenkins

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

20k miles now and havent had to take back to dealer one time! Rides like a car and has adequate power for commuting. It pulls my 17ft bass boat with ease. Gas mileage not too bad with v-6, I improved it to 23 overall by adding k&n filter and using synthetic oil. I hope to keep this truck along time so reliability is extremely important and time will tell if it can go the distance that I expect from my vehicles??? Good value for the money. A Toyota Tacoma with similar options would have been 5k more!!

Favorite Features

Progressive stying, good ride and responsive handling.

Suggested Improvements

Put in a better stereo system, and v- 6. Could use a little more HP without affecting gas mileage??

Love This Truck!
By Mark

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I was skeptical when I let my wife talk me into this - I was looking for a high gas mileage import. She knew I'd always liked the looks. Once I drove it I was hooked. I have the 4.7 V8 & 5sp. I average 17/gal for my commute and 19+ on the road (my best is 19.85). Great for this truck. I have had nothing but great experience from my dealer. I had a heater hose leak (there was a service bulletin on it) and they offered to replace the carpet if I wanted! I am now getting into a carpool because of the gas prices, but I NEED the truck. It is a great vehicle. Easy & fun to drive and comfortable on the road. The family likes it better than anything else we've owned.

Favorite Features

Flip up rear seats, driveability, seating position, looks, ergs. Great milage for a V8.

Suggested Improvements

Better placement of cupholders (w/the 5 sp), one is too far under the dash and the other gets hit with the shifter. Shorter shift throw. Better stereo. This in the console get lost because it's so deep and there are no seperate compartments.

Love this truck!
By Christopher

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport Plus 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I've driven it in all weather conditions, on and off road, and it has taken it in stride. I moved to Florida and packed the biggest U-haul trailer to the gills and put my motorcycle in the bed. I think I could have added on another trailer full! The convenience of the four doors makes it even better. It's too bad Dodge made the new one so ugly!

Favorite Features

I like the overhead console and its many features: programable garage door opener, gas mileage, temperature, miles to go until empty, compass...it's cool!

Suggested Improvements

I can't say it needs any improvement. Maybe the gas mileage...but what do you want from a V8?