2004 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Love This Truck!
By Mark on 10/04/05 20:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I was skeptical when I let my wife talk me into this - I was looking for a high gas mileage import. She knew I'd always liked the looks. Once I drove it I was hooked. I have the 4.7 V8 & 5sp. I average 17/gal for my commute and 19+ on the road (my best is 19.85). Great for this truck. I have had nothing but great experience from my dealer. I had a heater hose leak (there was a service bulletin on it) and they offered to replace the carpet if I wanted! I am now getting into a carpool because of the gas prices, but I NEED the truck. It is a great vehicle. Easy & fun to drive and comfortable on the road. The family likes it better than anything else we've owned.

Dakota
By dsatlle on 08/23/05 00:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Overall, the vehicle is about what I expected. When traveling over bumps or potholes the vehicle jumps off the front tires. it feels really dangerous so I'm not happy with the way it handles.The passenger seat does not recline to a comfortable position on long trips, not even half way to 180 degrees, it can be quite uncomfortable. The brakes started squeaking at about 16,000 miles and I have not had them checked, hoping that the dust works itself out without the dealer arming and legging me to take care of it. BTW, I bought a oil change coupon book from the dealer and they are always wanting to do unnecessary work, so beware. Other than oil changes I have done no other maintenance.

Lemon
By Brandon on 07/11/05 08:38 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This truck has given me trouble from day one, literally! It is a beautiful truck, but has had extensive computer, power steering, transmission, and recently, parking brake issues. Chrysler is not standing behind this truck, and the computer problem cannot be completely fixed, as I am still experiencing the same problems and 13- 14mpg all around...sounds good for a little 3.7L engine, huh? Needless to say, I will never buy another Chrysler product again. Neither will my Dodge-owning family, in which there has been a total of 11 new Dodge products owned. Thanks Chrysler!!

Love this truck!
By Christopher on 05/31/05 00:22 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport Plus 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I've driven it in all weather conditions, on and off road, and it has taken it in stride. I moved to Florida and packed the biggest U-haul trailer to the gills and put my motorcycle in the bed. I think I could have added on another trailer full! The convenience of the four doors makes it even better. It's too bad Dodge made the new one so ugly!

Can't go wrong here...
By Anchorsaweigh on 05/23/05 14:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SXT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Stepped down from a 2001 Ram 1500 4X4 to something that wouldn't cost me $100 per week in gas. Runs quiet, smooth, and handles very well. Smooth shifting and transitioning to 4WD. Dash layout and ergonomics well thought out. Excellent fuel economy, although I had expected better. But, 20MPG sure beats the heck out of 11MPG any day of the week. The 3.7L V-6 has a lot of pep and powers up when you need it. I would recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Dodge So Far
By marki on 05/03/05 15:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport Plus 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This is my third Dodge. First had a 96 Ram 1500, then a 02 Dakota. Now have the 04 Dakota. Love everything about it. It's got the V8 with a 5 speed manual transmission. Way more power than the V6, and almost identical gas mileage. Spacious but not too big. Perfect for city or highway driving.

Very Pleased
By wolfinblue on 03/26/05 19:02 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab Sport Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Dakota! Nice and powerful and throaty sounding 3.7L V6. Towing my 17' boat is a breeze. 18,000 miles and no problems. It handles great and is very comfortable ride for a pickup. Road noise and wind noise is a little more than I would have liked, and factory stereo (Non Infinity) is a joke. Worst factory stereo I've heard on a modern vehicle. I have replaced the speakers and head unit and added a small Bazooka sub. Otherwise, I'm very pleased with this truck!

All Go & Cannot Stop
By C. Stueve on 02/14/05 21:29 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport Plus 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Dakota in the last 3 years. I looked at the new Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon & passed up both, along with my GM Employee discount for another Dakota. For my kids & hobbies I could not do without the 4 doors.

Great Truck
By EmersonC on 11/30/04 13:57 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport Plus 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

With the exception of the trans/engine "stutter" between 45 and 58 in OD, the truck handles and drives great. So fun to drive, and everytime i see an open field or a big mud hole, i cant help but want to drive in it. Have never gotten stuck once. Interior is not overly done, but not plain. Very reliable, only problem i had was with the O2 sensors when i first got it. None sense.

Great Vehicle
By Josh Thompson on 10/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport Plus 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

My Dodge Dakota has been a pleasure to own. The ride and handling is excellent. I have put on over 10000 miles in the 7 months I have owned this vehicle and have no complaints other than the fuel consumption, but buying a 4WD, 4.7L V8 you have to expect not to get the best fuel economy. I live in Chesapeake, VA and drive 19 miles to work in heavy traffic and I get on average 17 miles to the gallon.