Used 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

It's a truck I'll miss
By 2lman

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Just traded in our 2004 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 w/4.7L V8. The only reason why, poor gas mileage. Other than that we love this truck, super super reliable! We bought it new, put 42k on it and only had to put on new tires and change fluids as recommended. No problems at all and would have kept it but with the kids all in school now, my wife wants to back to school and finish her degree and the school is about 45 miles away and with only getting 12 mpg cty and hwy, we did get 14 mpg once with a strong tail wind, when we tow our boat it was 10 mpg maybe 11 mpg. We are all going to miss this truck!!!!!! We bought an 08 Jeep Liberty to replace it.

Favorite Features

Great looking, extremely reliable!!!! It took us anywhere/everywhere we wanted to go.

Suggested Improvements

Better Fuel economy, and better tires from the factory would be nice

The best truck we've owned
By moo

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This Dakota has best the best vehicle we've owned. In July, Savannah, GA flooded and we had to drive through the waters to get home. We have the 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT 2WD pickup. We were one of the only vehicles to make it out of the 4 foot running waters. We owe Dodge for our safety and their reliability.

37k mile review!
By teejay

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Well here I am at 37k miles and so far not much to complain about. I did have one minor problem with a front stereo speaker going out, but Dodge replaced that quickly and without hesitation. I have rotated and checked my tire pressure religiously, but after only 37k I will need new tires soon. I will not go back with Goodyear. Other than that I am pleased with my purchase and hope to kept the truck for many years unless Dodge comes out with a diesel in the Dakota soon?

Favorite Features

V-6 is fairly powerful and the ride is almost carlike!

Suggested Improvements

Put better longer lasting tires on the vehicle. Goodyears have terrible treadwear. Only 360 utqr!

Great Truck
By Great Truck

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This truck performed beyond expectations and is comfortable to drive. Great truck except for the poor fuel efficiency

Favorite Features

Engine performance, and the vehicle reliability and durability. This little V8 (4.7L) is a bull. Never took the vehicle back to the dealer for any repairs since purchased new. Good quality control in manufacturing.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better fuel economy. Also needs a Flex Fuel and Managed Displacement System for the 4.7 Liter engine

Great Mid/Full Size Truck
By Christopher

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first pickup and I couldn't be happier! The power, reliablity, comfort, style, rugged build is everything I wanted out of a truck. I test drove and researched a year before this purchase and I chose correctly! I like this truck far more than the new design! If you're a bigger person the Dakota is the way to go. Not quite full size but definitely bigger than the competition. I love it!

Favorite Features

I love the four doors for convience and security. The spray in bedliner is the only way to go. The V8 has great power. I've towed the maximum and it had no problem what so ever.

Suggested Improvements

I think it's great the way it is. Personalizing it with aftermarket improvements is the only suggestions I have.