2004 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
I will probably always own a Dakota!
By chriscat870 on 01/19/07 06:01 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

First Dodge and 3rd pickup I've owned. The other 2 were full size. They were a waste of money! The V6 only has 25 fewer horses than the V8 and gets about 18-19 mpg. Put a K&N filter and some exhaust and you'll get your horses back with even better mpg! Next to an Audi A6 Quattro, this is the funnest vehicle I have ever driven! It holds the road like a sports car, but carries cargo without strain. It does not do well in wet conditions, but that can be fixed with better tires. The fact that this model was viturally unchanged for 10 years should be a testament to the appeal of its looks.

Versitile truck
By Wilgey on 11/29/06 06:39 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport Plus 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is all around value. It's great for weekend projects or that all important camping trip. Plenty of cargo room and with optional roof racks hauling longer items is a simple task.

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4WD SLT
By William Ryan on 07/12/06 12:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

If I could get 10 more MPG out of this truck I would be happy. I love everything about it. If you live in a cold climate and you buy a Dakota Quad I would suggest getting the rear window defogger instead of the sliding rear window - you probably won't use the slider that much anyway.

Does its job
By Dakota Believer on 06/05/06 11:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Wanted a Toyota Tacoma crew cab, but settled for the Dakota, and glad I did. The Tacoma does not have the room the Dakota has nor does it have the power. Happy with the Dakota, bought it used and wish I would have looked for one with more features.

So Far, So Good
By terry jenkins on 05/31/06 23:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Well I just returned from a long trip and I averaged 26mpg from the 3.7LT! Not bad considering that others are paying close to 40k$ for hybrid SUVs that don’t get that!

Very happy
By Pjamas on 05/30/06 12:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This is our second Dakota, and very happy. 1st was a 2002 and am even happier with the 2004. Has needed no work other than normal maintenance and has always given me all the power I could need or want. There is tons of room in quad cab. We have two car seats in there with no problems and the back (with a cap) is great for towing strollers and such. Have fit three car seats, but wouldn't for everyday use. Truck still has lots of power for when we need to use it as a truck though. Have towed many things includling 15ft boats and even small exacvators with no problem. Nice to have a mid size for when you need the power sometimes but not everyday to justify a full-size.

Great for trailer towing & fun
By larry Maddox on 03/23/06 15:48 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I have a 26-ft travel trailer we pull 4-5,000 miles per year. This truck is great. Also, driving around town is fun. No mechanichal problems or warranty issues. This truck is our 4th Dakota and we plan to have many more.

My 2004 Dakota
By Danny Cole Sr. on 02/11/06 11:52 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This is a fun truck to drive. I have the 3.7litre V6 with 5 speed transmission. This truck does respond very good with the V6 engine The comfort is good with enough room to seat myself and my wife comfortably. We enjoy this truck. And we like the body style.

Great truck, buy the extra warranty
By Mike Jewett on 02/06/06 20:40 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Everything about the truck, performance-wise, is top-notch. Power, handling, towing, cargo capacity, etc. MPG is 12-15, but it's a truck, not a Camry. Easier to park than a full-size, but hauls just as much. 4x4 works great, even if the ground clearance is minimal. The only things to consider before buying are cost issues, namely gas and maintenance. It weighs 4500LBS, so you'll replace brake pads every 25K. Fill up the tank every 200 -250mi. Also, find a nice 5-star dealer. I've seen a lot of reviews knocking Dodge dealers, and, just like any business, some will be good, some will be lame. Also, it's really worth it to roll an 85K warranty into your finance plan.

Excellent truck!!
By terry jenkins on 01/01/06 02:14 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

20k miles now and havent had to take back to dealer one time! Rides like a car and has adequate power for commuting. It pulls my 17ft bass boat with ease. Gas mileage not too bad with v-6, I improved it to 23 overall by adding k&n filter and using synthetic oil. I hope to keep this truck along time so reliability is extremely important and time will tell if it can go the distance that I expect from my vehicles??? Good value for the money. A Toyota Tacoma with similar options would have been 5k more!!