2004 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
steering column
By randm on 06/12/09 05:10 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I would like to know if any one out there has had a problem with there steering column.I have replaced mine twice in 4 years.any suggestions would help.Or could it be a defect and subject to recall.

First impressions
By Dodger on 04/13/09 15:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Just bought my '04 from the orig owner with less than 22K miles on it. 4.7 V- 8, 5 speed auto, optioned out with most everything except for some reason, no power seat. It's a quad cab 2WD with 3.55 antislip rear axle. I've only put about 500 miles on it so far, but can say that I'm impressed with the ride, the engine, everything. Getting 19.5 mpg in mixed city/freeway driving (30/70), and this little 4.7 will flat get out and fly if you want it to. Of course, my reported gas mileage is obtained by using that power sparingly. Exhaust has a resonance right at 1700 rpm (60 mph in 5th) that I don't like; you can sense it in other gears as well as you pass through that rpm.

Pretty neat
By ordinaryguy on 03/02/09 00:53 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I've got 48k on mine. Other than a recall for an O2 sensor an a plugged AC filter- no prob. Orig Goodyears still solid. Brakes solid. Fun solid. This thing will haul just about everything and in style. Ride and handling is a lot better than my last GMC. I agree with the quirky tranny shifting. Keep it out of OD in city driving and it will behave better. I get 18 city no problemo after I applied this method. Love the truck!

Great truck and has never let me down
By Califroff on 01/24/09 10:35 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Owned this truck for almost 5 years, 115,000 miles. Still get 20 mpg on trips, 16 mpg in traffic. Except for tires, lube, fluid changes,and one taillight, have never had a thing that needed fixing. Still have the original battery. Parks outdoors 100% of the time and driven every other day. I over load it frequently and had it stuck so bad a front loader CAT had to lift me out. V6 and transmission just keep going. Better truck that the 1998 Dakota I owned previously. Interior has held up well and is still more comfortable than the Colorado or Rangers I've tried.

Can't beat a Dodge
By Gatorman on 01/16/09 16:28 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I've own this little truck for 4 years now and been from Ga to Tx many times. Me being in the military and all. Only problem I have had is tires and that because I run them off going back and forth to Texas. Won't trade my truck for a Ford, Chevy or GMC.

Too many problems
By jwf on 12/31/08 04:09 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab SLT Plus Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have just turned 40k and have had too many problems. At 8k a cam sensor went bad, at 24 k the fan heating motor went out in January. At 40k cam sensor went bad again, and the wiring harness for the fan heating motor melted. the last one cost me $500 in repairs.

51k mile review
By teejay1 on 12/25/08 19:37 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Well here I am again. After over 4 years of ownership and 51k miles I have to say I still am happy. With the economy in the tank like it is I am most likely going to run this truck till the wheels fall off. I plan on getting 200k maybe even 300k out of it. Skeptical you say? Well I have a car right now with 283k on it and I drive it most everyday. I am a maintenance engineering supervisor for the federal government. So you know that I take care of my stuff and so should you! So far only had to go back to the dealership once, and that was to replace a bad speaker on the passenger side. So not bad so far!

Winter Mustang
By Lizard on 10/24/08 09:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

After researching, just bought this off-lease from Mopar dealer. 2004's were built during Daimler "marriage," so let's hope for decent quality/reliability. Apparently, 4.7 L Magnum is only 5% thirstier than sluggish V6. I bought this 4x4, as I store my '06 Mustang (from harsh salt, Canadian winters). Box will come in handy for Reno projects, too. May add cat-back exhaust for better sound & fuel economy. Recent combined, stop 'n go Toronto traffic + 120 km/hr (70 mph) highway yielded 17.6 imperial mpg. Really didn't want/need full size p/u. Rangers/S10/etc, is too small in rear (ok for small kids), Dakota just right size. 1/2 price of Nissan/Toyota V6 Quad. Local driving, so $1.00 a liter, is ok

Gas Mileage
By Pep on 08/24/08 18:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This has been one great truck. Never been in the shop except for tires and rotation.

Still Goin Strong
By marki on 07/27/08 10:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport Plus 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Have now had my 2004 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, V8 for nearly 4 years. Still loving it. It's fun, reliable, comfortable, handy to haul stuff, plenty of power etc. I don't know why others complain about the fuel - I consistently get over 20mpg on the highway. Usually 22 mpg. My 2002 Dakota w/ the V6 did the same but it was dangerously gutless! I do yearly maintenance & have had no problems. (My 2002 Dakota V6 had several recalls & other issues!) I love this truck & will not get rid of him for a long, long time!