Used 2004 Dodge Dakota SXT Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

51k mile review
By teejay1

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Well here I am again. After over 4 years of ownership and 51k miles I have to say I still am happy. With the economy in the tank like it is I am most likely going to run this truck till the wheels fall off. I plan on getting 200k maybe even 300k out of it. Skeptical you say? Well I have a car right now with 283k on it and I drive it most everyday. I am a maintenance engineering supervisor for the federal government. So you know that I take care of my stuff and so should you! So far only had to go back to the dealership once, and that was to replace a bad speaker on the passenger side. So not bad so far!

Favorite Features

Ride quality, and body styling, decent durability.

Suggested Improvements

Offer a clean diesel in the dakota. The torque would be great and the mileage would be 40% better than a comparable gas engine. Also a diesel would last for 400k. Maybe that's why detroit doesnt want diesels because they want you to buy a new vehicle every 5 years.

I will probably always own a Dakota!
By chriscat870

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

First Dodge and 3rd pickup I've owned. The other 2 were full size. They were a waste of money! The V6 only has 25 fewer horses than the V8 and gets about 18-19 mpg. Put a K&N filter and some exhaust and you'll get your horses back with even better mpg! Next to an Audi A6 Quattro, this is the funnest vehicle I have ever driven! It holds the road like a sports car, but carries cargo without strain. It does not do well in wet conditions, but that can be fixed with better tires. The fact that this model was viturally unchanged for 10 years should be a testament to the appeal of its looks.

Favorite Features

Four doors with rear windows that roll all the way down. Awesome handling and looks!

Suggested Improvements

Storage under rear seats. Better exterior paint. Better a/c venting and temp control (one click off max cold is instantly warm).

The Best
By MSLUVMEDEKODA

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle is everything I needed as far as Comfort, Performance, Fuel, Quality, reliability and space for what I needed. I love the handling and design. There isn't anything I would change. As usual.. Dodge has just what I needed when I needed it. One word sum= FAN-TAS-TIC

Favorite Features

The way hit hold the road you can't get any closer to a hug then that.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the Ac was a bit mor powerful. It reached 111 where I live an when I get in the truck (it's nice or your average person) but for me "COLD" is the best. Not something you can really improve.

My First New Truck
By Ken Scherry

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I really enjoy driving my new truck. I am 42 adn this is the first new Vehicle I have purchesed with less then 30,000 miles on it. If it was not for teh poor gas millage I could say it has been the best purchasse I have ever made on a vehicle. The paper work says since it is new it will take time to brake in the mpg. Time will tell. I can wait and enjoy it while it wait.

Favorite Features

I enjoy the power of teh 3.7 V6. I had a 3.0 V6 did not have the power or the gitty up and go this Dukota has and my new truck looks far better.

Suggested Improvements

The truck I bought has all I need, for now...

The best mid-sized truck
By 2indy

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SXT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

High off the ground with bulging tires, powerful V-6, smooth riding, great handling it feels like a 25K$-30K$ truck. SHHHH! I only payed 20,300$ (this includes tax tags and tite) and I was out the door for this truck. You couldn't beat that with a bat! I'm happy

Favorite Features

The passenger room in the back

Suggested Improvements

I think rather than fold up seats for the back there should be storage boxes under them for some tools, jumper cables etc.